TV point

Hi All
How does this work? I want a TV point on an internal single brick wall, does this mean we have to cut into the brick and then re-plaster? Is there another option, just thinking it will be hard to patch up and match existing.

Thanks
MTR:)

You have to make a hole there for the outlet. The wire is run through the roof and then down the wall cavity with fish tape.

Pretty much the same as an electrical outlet in terms of drill hole, run cable down, put faceplate over top.

You have to make a hole there for the outlet. The wire is run through the roof and then down the wall cavity with fish tape.

Cavity in a single brick wall?

Hi All
How does this work? I want a TV point on an internal single brick wall, does this mean we have to cut into the brick and then re-plaster? Is there another option, just thinking it will be hard to patch up and match existing.

Thanks

Yeah, the electrician will grind a channel in the wall (called "chasing"). Then you need to plaster it up and repaint it. I've done it with cheap spakfilla and done a pretty decent job. Granted, I painted the whole wall, not just the cover up. With a patch job this big, you'll want to let it dry, then sand it, then re-fill it. I did this 3 times.

The worst part is the mess/dust from chasing. empty the room and seal it off from the reast of the house. Brick and plaster dust goes EVERYWHERE.

The other option is a visible conduit running down the wall.

Shame, dont want this.
So looks like I dont have any other options, damn it.

thanks all

I was editing my reply when you commented.

IF you're lucky there might be a wardrobe or something on the other side of the wall. I've hidden conduits in those before and then just drilled through the brick leaf at the bottom.

Cavity in a single brick wall?

My bad.

I meant you go through the hole in the brick. ;)

brick.jpg

Where do you want the TV?

Perhaps set the TV at doorframe height on a wall bracket and just have a 600mm exposed conduit running down from the ceiling as opposed to the entire height of the wall?

The worst part is the mess/dust from chasing. empty the room and seal it off from the reast of the house. Brick and plaster dust goes EVERYWHERE.

sounds like some turkey used a bagless machine. I had someone do that to me once, brand new house, brand new lounge etc, enough to make you want to punch the idiot square on the noise. Wife was literally in tears

don't forget you have the option of chasing either side of the wall. i.e. may be better to cut in say a bedroom than a feature wall in a living room. Or run a conduit in a cupboard behind the wall where the point needs to go

Hi All

Thanks

Use a pair of rabbit's ears. No damage & no dust.

Can you come up from the floor?

TV is soooo overrated

My bad.

I meant you go through the hole in the brick. ;)

brick.jpg

Really Biz?!?!?

You do realise the holes don't line up when you lay bricks?

Impossible to run cabling down those holes.

MTR easiest would be to come up from under the house if it's in an older section or deal with looking at some metal/plastic conduit if you don't want to cut into the brick.

Is there a PowerPoint on the other side? If the wall is already chased and a conduit is available them you could pull down a TV cable (or use a snake to push down a draw wire) and Mount TV point on the other side. This maybe illegal since you can't mix power and signal

You run the conduit first and then just weave the bricks through over the top. :cool:

You've got to be joking.

Is there a PowerPoint on the other side? If the wall is already chased and a conduit is available them you could pull down a TV cable (or use a snake to push down a draw wire) and Mount TV point on the other side. This maybe illegal since you can't mix power and signal

Pretty sure this is bad for signal quality (as well as potential illegality).

Back