TV reception

Just by saying "if I don't have cable TV" - the only reason I could think of for not having it would be because you're in the middle of the Sahara desert or something... :D

I'm with Tracey on this one, no cable tv??!! Get foxtel stat alex! :D

*THUD*........ ok, just picked myself up off the floor! :eek:

Nah, fair enough Alex, I watch too much TV, but don't think I could ever go to zero.

C'mon guys - what's wrong with NOT having cable TV??? We don't - and won't!!!

Had a Foxtel guy come to the door a few months back and announce loudly: "I've come to sign you up to Foxtel!" I shot back: "No you haven't - I don't watch the free-to-air cr@p. I'm certainly not going to pay for it!"

TV in our household gets turned on for the news and occasionally for what passes as 'current affairs' - and hubby watches an occasional golf tournament (if the local channels cover it).

I can think of MUCH more interesting and productive things to do .....

Cheers
LynnH

Alex,

Sounds like you need to go get one of these:
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/L5964

Cheers,

The Y-man
Alex,

The Y-man is on the money. Buy one of these and then you can put one near the existing antenna outlet to pick up the signal and then transmit it to wherever you have your box. I presume these actually take an antenna in and not just AV (RCA) in. If they only take AV in then they are useless for your needs.

But I'm gonna go buy a set anyway. That way I can put one with my PC in my study and trasmit the AV signal to my AV Receiver attached to my home theatre in my lounge room. I can then watch all the movies on my PC directly on my home theatre without having to burn them to DVD. Also means that once I get IPTV up and running over my ADSL2+ connection I can then watch it on my home theatre setup too.

I've got a logitech harmony remote so it shouldn't be too hard to configure a new "watch streamed AV" activity.

Thanks Y-Man! I've been looking for these for a while now but kept landing on bluetooth audio only transmitters.

Cheers,
Michael

Alex,

Cheers,

The Y-man

Hey Alex (or anyone else),

I have one of these but don't use it. It's the same brand, however I got it in black. I bought it from DSE less than a year ago.

It worked OK, I was using it to transfer a signal from my PC to my TV. I use wireless instead now. I haven't tried it with TV - TV, as I don't watch it either. Junk food for the brain IMO, like newspapers and magazines.

I'll sell it for half the new price. Good condition, box and all.

David.

Rumpled Elf

My local antenae chap did it for me, apparently its very common. Its a Strong brand receiver with a card in it connected to the satellite dish.

Chris

So is that those massive black dishes you see on roofs? Perhaps not?

I was told the big black dishes cost a few $'k to install but then no ongoing, and it gives you every free to air channel that it can pick up from around the world. Or have I been misled?

Alex,

Cheers,

The Y-man

Hey Alex (or anyone else),

I have one of these but don't use it. It's the same brand, however I got it in black. I bought it from DSE less than a year ago.

It worked OK, I was using it to transfer a signal from my PC to my TV. I use wireless instead now. I haven't tried it with TV - TV, as I don't watch it either. Junk food for the brain IMO, like newspapers and magazines.

I'll sell it for half the new price. Good condition, box and all.

David.

It's not just cable. I don't have ANY TV. As in, I don't have the machine.
Alex

Yes, I realised that, Alex - just that the other guys seemed aghast that one could actually survive without cable TV.:rolleyes:

We didn't have a TV either, in the days BC (before children) - when this one dies, I don't know that I'll even bother replacing it!

Cheers
LynnH

I was told the big black dishes cost a few $'k to install but then no ongoing, and it gives you every free to air channel that it can pick up from around the world. Or have I been misled?
You still need something to decode the satellite signal with. We run our rooftop aerial into a tuner card in a computer under the TV, but the digital reception is too bad to use it as a PVR like we wanted to. I have no idea if the card will decode a satellite signal.

The IP we are looking at has one of the little Austar dishes on the roof, I wonder if we're allowed to swipe that and fiddle with it back at our house or if those things somehow still belong to Austar?

The IP we are looking at has one of the little Austar dishes on the roof, I wonder if we're allowed to swipe that and fiddle with it back at our house or if those things somehow still belong to Austar?

Not sure who they technically belong to, but I don't think Foxtel/Austar would know if you took it - just sucks for the next person in the house who has to have a new one installed.

I remember we had one installed at a house, and the installer left the old one there. I remember thinking to myself - how the hell am I supposed to get rid of this?! It was too big to fit in the bin.

Back