TV show- Extreme Cheapskates

Hi K
I am not surprised. I lived in US some years ago and when we went back to US 2 years ago, I could not believe the huge meal serves at restaurants, its insane, no wonder there are so many obese people in US. No doggy for these guys, they just eat the lot.

Also, I found it interesting that most restaurants we went to had healthy options, choice was amazing, even included the calories per serve and then there was the high carb/fat heart attack option

This is one of the reasons I love to holiday in the US - seriously. I am not a fat bugger, but I have what most people would consider to be very large appetite.

This is one of the reasons I love to holiday in the US - seriously. I am not a fat bugger, but I have what most people would consider to be very large appetite.

You wont starve.
I also notice some of the restaurants have competitions, eat massive steaks the size of a house and the meal is free, that sounds like fun:eek:

Food is so cheap compared to Oz.

We are just finishing a side of beef (half a body, all you need is deep freezer) bought from the local butcher for $5.69/kg.

Yep, from fillet & t-bone to snags, all at just $5.69/kg.
AND, it's prime yearling beef.

Tonight it's the osso bucco in a slow cooker and just about to consume it, the smell of it cooking has driven me mad all day.:)

How much is that big freezer costing you to run though?

This thinking is like people who would rather drive to pick something up than have it delivered. In the end it's going to cost you the same.

I think the surprise over the "big servings" in the US is a bit overblown. We have a higher obesity rate than them so clearly most people in Australia do eat a lot. The difference I think is that people in the US are more open/honest about it and seem more comfortable in owning it whereas over here, many overweight people seem to be in denial about things and will order a small entree or salad (or similar) when eating out due to embarassment and then likely go home and eat a few plates more in private. The one exception I've seen to this is in buffet type restaurants. People seem less shy in this setting :p

I think the surprise over the "big servings" in the US is a bit overblown.

Have you been there? Their large coke at Mcdonalds is a 1.25L bottle oof coke here. Every second advertisement is for some kind of fast food.

We have a higher obesity rate than them so clearly most people in Australia do eat a lot. The difference I think is that people in the US are more open/honest about it and seem more comfortable in owning it whereas over here, many overweight people seem to be in denial about things and will order a small entree or salad (or similar) when eating out due to embarassment and then likely go home and eat a few plates more in private. The one exception I've seen to this is in buffet type restaurants. People seem less shy in this setting :p

Sorry but there is no way people in Australia on average are more obese than the states. If you have been there it's just unfathomable to think that. In Australia I feel like an average sized person, when I go to the states I feel "small". People are just much bigger there. The seats are bigger, bigger sizes in clothes available as well as shoes. They are a big fat race.

When I was there at the start of the year my wife and I went out for breakfast, just wanted the usual toast/coffee whatever. All we could find open was greasy burger joints serving greasy **** at 8am. You just don't see that here.

our portions in australia are pretty large too, when my family first moved here we used to share meals as the portions were just too big. unfortunately you get used to them after a while...

Have you been there? Their large coke at Mcdonalds is a 1.25L bottle oof coke here. Every second advertisement is for some kind of fast food.

Sorry but there is no way people in Australia on average are more obese than the states. If you have been there it's just unfathomable to think that. In Australia I feel like an average sized person, when I go to the states I feel "small". People are just much bigger there. The seats are bigger, bigger sizes in clothes available as well as shoes. They are a big fat race.

When I was there at the start of the year my wife and I went out for breakfast, just wanted the usual toast/coffee whatever. All we could find open was greasy burger joints serving greasy **** at 8am. You just don't see that here.

I have been there twice to four states in total (Hawaii, New York, D.C and Nevada, in case you were wondering). My experience doesn't mirror yours at all.

69% of Americans are overweight or obese. In Australia, the rate is 62%. Is it really that hugely different? There are places in Australia where the rate is as high as 80%. Both countries are in the top five in the developed world.

Being a woman of small(ish) build, I am often at the receiving end of comments or suspicious looks regarding food (as it is not PC to talk about what overweight people eat). I get told "OMG you eat so much chocolate!" by people at work for eating like 2 fun sized chocolate bars. When the person saying this to me is on the larger side, I feel like falling off my chair. I think the secrecy and dishonesty about food has increased dramatically as obesity has become more common.

Have you been to Europe, especially southern or eastern Europe? The amount of food people eat there makes the Yanks look like starved peasents. However, they generally don't have a big obesity problem because the population is very active.

I've noticed a big problem in Australia in that people often get confused between the reality of our population/culture and the image that we like to portray in the media to other countries. For example, the blonde, buff guy walking down the beach with a surfboard (or other similarly "outdoorsy" type personalities) when the reality is more likely to be a fat guy scoffing donuts in front of the TV.

our portions in australia are pretty large too, when my family first moved here we used to share meals as the portions were just too big. unfortunately you get used to them after a while...

Depends where you go. In Sydney for instance the further out west you go the bigger the portions get we find. :eek:

Depends where you go. In Sydney for instance the further out west you go the bigger the portions get we find. :eek:

That's because wogs don't feel the need to act like they actually eat Salada crackers for lunch. Food is an important and valued part of these cultures :)

Its official, Mexico most obese in the world, followed by US.

I must say my experience is similar to ok180 and I have never been to a restaurant in Oz that serves food on what I would call Flinstone plates with Flinstone size steaks.

In part it may be more about which States in US, for example I would expect southern States in US would have higher rate of obesity.

Just to clarify, I'm not disagreeing with ok180. What I said is that overweight people in the US seem more likely to "own" it and will freely order a 500g steak in a restaurant. A similarly sized person in Australia would be more likely to order the 150g steak and then go home and eat three packets of chips to make up for it. The amount consumed is the same but the attitude towards it is different.

That's because wogs don't feel the need to act like they actually eat Salada crackers for lunch. Food is an important and valued part of these cultures :)

i cant think of a place where food is more valued than in singapore and portions are significantly smaller than they are here. value of food has nothing to do with it imo.

the french dont eat the same large portions we do, neither do the japanese. both cultures love their food

btw im not disagreeing re the US, their portions are ridiculous

i cant think of a place where food is more valued than in singapore and portions are significantly smaller than they are here. value of food has nothing to do with it imo.

the french dont eat the same large portions we do, neither do the japanese. both cultures love their food

Neither do the Italians, they have perhaps coffee and a bread roll for breakfast. Lunch is the main meal, will be at least 2 courses, always include protein and pasta, and dinner very light, just a snack, cup of soup.

Where did we go wrong???????:eek: Too many fast food chains, this is the common denominator.

Neither do the Italians, they have perhaps coffee and a bread roll for breakfast. Lunch is the main meal, will be at least 2 courses, always include protein and pasta, and dinner very light, just a snack, cup of soup.

Where did we go wrong???????:eek: Too many fast food chains, this is the common denominator.

Look at the link I posted. Italians eat virtually the same amount of calories as Americans.

After the Extreme Cheapskate show, the next show talked about trials they did.For example:
One group of people were fed for 11 days. Over this time each meal was increased in the serving size, and each and every time, the participants ate everything on their plate. They didn't even notice that the serving size was increasing.

Back