Two Storey Granny Flat - Opinions of this design please

Hi Guys,

Im designing my second (ever) 2-storey granny flat in Sydney and Im a little nervous about it's design, so i wondered if you could offer me any opinions/advice as to the overall layout and use of space.

Its 5m x 6m x2 floors = 60 square meters.

The upper floor has no secoond toilet, mainly due to client's budget but also because it's very hard to mirror an upper floor toilet in such a small space.

I know a few of you are very good at designs so Id love some feedback and advice on this before i proceed?

Ive attached a partial Drainage Plan and the Floor Plan. I havent done the Elevations/Sections yet, sorry.

Oh, also, the property slopes to the rear so i had to site it to allow for a drainage dispersion pit, as shown- that's why its not way back on the block. Im mostly interested if the internal layout is cool or not.

Windows:
W1 is a glass sliding door in case the image is a bit blurry. The rest are standard aluminium windows with the bedroom windows upstairs at 1500x1500

North: North point is to the top of the page on both plans.

Thanks Guys!

Serge.

Attachments

• Floor Plan- partial.jpg
    Floor Plan- partial.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 16,187
  • Drainage Plan_partial.jpg
    Drainage Plan_partial.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 2,390
I think the design is fine but I would prefer the floor drain in the bathroom to be in the centre of the floor.

I don't think it would be very practical where it is now.

Can the budget stretch to a small ensuite in the main bed.
Just a simple shower at one end wc at the other, going along the wall above the kitchen.

IMO, do whatever you need to do to get a WC (at worst) or a bathroom (at best) upstairs.

The present layout reminds me of those 2brm terraces in Paddo and other places. It is a PITA to navigate your way downstairs, half-asleep, at 3am to go to the bathroom.

The stairs in that layout take up a fair amount of room.

If you were to make the stairs straight and lined up against one end of the wall you could balance out the two bedrooms upstairs better.

Also the area underneath the stairs could be used as a built in TV unit

Not quite the question.

But - seeing that you are prepared to have a granny flat upstairs why not build it over the garage and awning. Could then have stairs outside and have the whole 60m usable.

Cheers

Can't you built the absorbtion pit under the awning?

I have attahced a rough plan where it may be possible to add a toilet upstairs.

Attachments

• Floor Plan- partial_devank.JPG
    Floor Plan- partial_devank.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 2,083
Can't you built the absorbtion pit under the awning?

I have attahced a rough plan where it may be possible to add a toilet upstairs.

Thanks for all the input guys!
The only point about the upstairds toilet is this- doesnt it HAVE TO mirror the downstairs bathrrom/toilet? Or is that not essential, just more expensive?

Ta.

P.S. The SEPP regulations state that we must be at least 10m from the rear boundary at this height. The rule is any height over 3.8m (measured from lowest natural ground) must be tripled and added to the 3m minimum reear setback..AND..divided by 4 and added to the minimum 0.9m side setback.

The other rule of course is that a drainage dispersion system must be minimum 3m from all boundaries, tree trunks and structures- hence the drainage system shown. You need the sun's solar beams (heehee I said solar beams) to reach the pit so that it will work. You cant put it under an awning, nope.

Are you allowed to make the absorbtion pit vertical as shown inside red are and then build the GF (green) around it?

Attachments

• singleFloor.jpg
    singleFloor.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 944
Hi Brazen

How much do you anticipate that it will cot to build? I am looking at a very similar property atm.

Michael

Ive told the client to expect a maximum of $10,000 over our standard pricing. The standard prices can be viewed here: http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au/build-your-granny-flat-design/

and here: http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au/build-pricing/

basically instead of $90,000 he's looking at $100,000 plus the cost of the dispersion pit ($2,000). Then there's the approval cost (approx $6,000) and its at Penrith so no Section 94 Contributions will be payable, thank God.

Total max price: $108,000
This does not include a mail-box, TV Antena, Clothesline and any internal fencing he might want.

Interesting design. I've not come across any 2 storey ones before.

Although the lack of upstairs toilet may be an issue, given the usage and intention of these - as affordable rental housing - I don't think people can be too fussy at all.

All good comments, +1 small ens upstairs if budget allows (it may not) and the stairs in a straight line or L shape using the bottom left corner of building to extract a little more room out of b2 even if it takes a little off the living or b1. Otherwise it might come across as 1 + study and not rent/val as well.

No thats not 3m from structures (incl. the granny flat). You need 6.6m all around for the pit.

The red area is 10m (4+3+3) X 6.65m (0.6+3+3).

Green area is about (4.05m X 11m) + (4.15mX 3m) = 57 sm

You can put two rooms at two ends. Play with the rest. Entrance can be inside the L shape.

How about ......

is there much cost implication by moving the bathroom upstairs?

Bed 1 is 5m long so I would put a bathroom along the wall above the kitchen with doors to both bedrooms – semi ensuite style. I have chosen that location simply because I think it would be cheaper to have all the kitchen/bathroom plumbing on one side of the building.

I would leave the washing machine downstairs. This could be placed under bench in the kitchen if it’s a front loader or in a cupboard if it’s a top loader (with a dryer too if they wanted)

I would then add a powder room downstairs – you could even have this as a combo laundry/powder room if you wanted.

Are you allowed to make the absorbtion pit vertical as shown inside red are and then build the GF (green) around it?

Hi Devank,

I tried this just now and it doesnt work Im afraid. The structure ends up being only 4.08m wide and so long that by the time you clear the disperson pit clearance-area its too close to the house. its just not efficient at all Im afraid.

This block is quite narrow as well, at 11.58m. It actually doesn't meet the SEPP so we have to apply for a DA and CC with Council.

The client has shown interest in an upstairs toilet/vanity, so I'll work on that and see what you guys think of it if thats cool?

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Serge

What about a spiral staircase to create more space? All depends on who is going to live in granny flat, Granny or younger person.

Regards
Sheryn

How about ......

is there much cost implication by moving the bathroom upstairs?

Bed 1 is 5m long so I would put a bathroom along the wall above the kitchen with doors to both bedrooms – semi ensuite style. I have chosen that location simply because I think it would be cheaper to have all the kitchen/bathroom plumbing on one side of the building.

I would leave the washing machine downstairs. This could be placed under bench in the kitchen if it’s a front loader or in a cupboard if it’s a top loader (with a dryer too if they wanted)

I would then add a powder room downstairs – you could even have this as a combo laundry/powder room if you wanted.

These are really good ideas westminster. Thanks, Im working on this tonight so will give that a try.

Sheryn, I can't go a spiral-staircase in case the future tenats are elderly. Im thinking a straight-line (single run) staircase will be more efficient use of space now? I think someone on page 1 suggested this, so will aso try that.

Thanks so much for the comments guys. Its really fun designing something out of the ordinary, if not time consuming :)

Serge

OK, So Ive come up with an alternative plan that provides a bathroom upstairs and makes good use of the under-stairs space. Ive created a separate laundry underneath the stairs. Im not sure yet but I think there will still be some more room for a 'Harry Potter' storage space underneath as well.

Ive moved the kitchen and totally re-arranged the bathrooms. It's definitely a better design isn't it? Propertunity, what do you reckon? Will it be more attractive to tenants this way?

Please tell me what you guys think ..thanks guys!

Attachments

• Floor Plan- partial_02.jpg
    Floor Plan- partial_02.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 6,712
Back