Two Storey Granny Flat - Opinions of this design please

Like this design much more however the stairs do take up considerable space. Have you considered a metal spiral staircase? That way you can push out the Kitchen and make the living room bigger.
I would also consider a balcony off the main bedroom and expanding the main bathroom a bit - seems very cramped, consider just making it a wet room with a shower attached to a wall. It may be possible to do the same concept upstairs?
A.

It's definitely a better design isn't it? Propertunity, what do you reckon? Will it be more attractive to tenants this way?

Yes, much better :)

Just clear something up for me if you would. I thought you needed 2 doorways (or doors), between a WC and a kitchen? That does not seem to be the case on your first floor layout.

Yes, much better :)

Just clear something up for me if you would. I thought you needed 2 doorways (or doors), between a WC and a kitchen? That does not seem to be the case on your first floor layout.

Thanks Propertunity. No, you just cant have a bathroom door opening directly adjacent to a kitchen.

Thanks guys, I think this design is sexy enogh now to work with. I did consider a straigh, single-run stair case but I dont like the way that worked. Id also love to add upstairs balconies and the like but the client has a budget I must work to.

Ground floor looks good now. You can even get creative with laundry storage space (under the stair case) :)

Top floor:
1. How about moving the toilet door closer to the toilet so that the vanity is outside. This way you don't need to come down get drinking water and also two people can use these facilities.
2. How about replacing the toilet door with a folding door to save some space?

Ground floor looks good now. You can even get creative with laundry storage space (under the stair case) :)

Top floor:
1. How about moving the toilet door closer to the toilet so that the vanity is outside. This way you don't need to come down get drinking water and also two people can use these facilities.
2. How about replacing the toilet door with a folding door to save some space?

Hi Devank,

Yea, the laundry is partially under the stairs and we'll be able to add some more storage directly under the stairs as well. Thanks, glad you like it

RE: Upstairs batroom.
The upstairs bathroom has 2 doors:
One is a sliding cavity door for bedroom 1
The other has a normal swinging door which is accesible from the upstairs landing.

Surely thats not too far for anyone wanting to get to a bathroom upstairs, no?

That swinging door is taking space. I would simply have a bath in that spot with sliding door access through the main bed.

What's the point in having the bath in ground floor? You need to walk all the way down to have shower carrying what ever you need and then walk back to your room (in cold) to get dress!

That swinging door is taking space. I would simply have a bath in that spot with sliding door access through the main bed.

I just spoke to the client and he wants a straight staircase with shower upstairs, so its back to the drawing board. Thanks for the points.

Last edited:
These are really good ideas westminster. Thanks, Im working on this tonight so will give that a try.

Sheryn, I can't go a spiral-staircase in case the future tenats are elderly. Im thinking a straight-line (single run) staircase will be more efficient use of space now? I think someone on page 1 suggested this, so will aso try that.

Thanks so much for the comments guys. Its really fun designing something out of the ordinary, if not time consuming :)

Serge

Serge, what about a lift (not the office building type ones)

I just spoke to the client and he wants a straight staircase with shower upstairs, so its back to the drawing board. Thanks for the points.

I agree with the client - I like the bathroom to be with the bedrooms :)

I do think the changes you made did improve it from your original.

I'll put my thinking cap on for you - I love designing stuff.

Not sure if this helps but this is what I have come up with as what I think works

I chose a long line kitchen as I think they work well in small spaces - I know they don't apply to the 3 point kitchen workflow but as they are generally quite compact I dont think the rule applies.

Most modern apartments are now going for this style to give more living space and I think it works well.

Things to add/think about:
- storage/laundry/powder room - you could easily take 1m off the kitchen and go under the stairs and do this. Leaving a kitchen shorter or L shaped into meals area
- upstairs you could take Bed 1 out over the stairs and make a nice big walk in robe.

Attachments

• 1179_001.pdf
    103 KB · Views: 350
A quick and dirty rough drawing of having a powder room/laundry under stairs.

:) That looks REALLY good.
I'll draft it up and let you see. I think I might be owing you a commisin if it works westminster!

Wont be doing it until tomorow though, so keep an eye out ;)

I can't wait to see it :)

Hopefully it doesn't come out too expensive.

Here it is> I had to make some changes for the stairs to work etc but i think its the best result so far...also, the upstairs landing had to be big enough to allow for moving beds in etc so I was mindful of that in the design/door locations.

Serge

Attachments

• Floor Plan- partial_03.jpg
    Floor Plan- partial_03.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 531
That is nice. Two questions.
1. Laundry door: Why not a sliding door to save some space?
2. Upstairs Vanity: Why not keep it outside to give more landing area?At least you will have more air space to move things around.

Looks good. I would reduce the size of the kitchen but that is my personal opinion. I think it eats too much into the living/dining area and reduces furniture options.

Where is the front door? Is it a sliding door on the north wall? If so there are few places for a tv to go against and a couch and dining table.

I would put the sink on the south wall and fridge there too and stop it at the side wall. Bench space in a 2 bedroom isn't so important but your customer will dictate what they want :)

Looks good. I would reduce the size of the kitchen but that is my personal opinion. I think it eats too much into the living/dining area and reduces furniture options.

Where is the front door? Is it a sliding door on the north wall? If so there are few places for a tv to go against and a couch and dining table.

I would put the sink on the south wall and fridge there too and stop it at the side wall. Bench space in a 2 bedroom isn't so important but your customer will dictate what they want :)

1. Under the BCA you cannot have a toilet opening into a kitchen area, so I had to extend the bathroom to avail a door opening away from the kitchen. The larger vanity is a good thing.
2. Yes the slider to the north is the entry door.
3.TV will go in the north-eastern corner- no glare there.
4. We cant have a window to the south (privacy) and the client wants a window over the kitchen sink, so there it must be.

westminster, Im still working off your base though. Well done. Call me!

CONCLUSION:
The client has today locked-in the design so she's ALL DONE!
Thanks for your help on my second ever 2-storey granny flat design guys :)

Back