Type of Paint - Bathroom

Are there specific types of paints (both undercoat and topcoat) that is preferable to use in bathrooms, to combat humidity & mould growth?

Are there specific types of paints (both undercoat and topcoat) that is preferable to use in bathrooms, to combat humidity & mould growth?
google 'dulux mouldshield'. You can get a mould prevention additive for normal paints, but apparently it lasts for 2 yrs as opposed to 5 yrs for the premixed stuff.

Add to that, we were recommended to use a slightly glossier paint (ie, not flat) for the bathroom as they are easier to clean and the water runs off better. You'll probably find the dulux bathroom stuff comes like that by default. I have a plain white 4L tin of something solver and bathroomy sitting here for my bathroom/laundry, which I'm going to use on every painted surface. Walls, ceiling, architraves ... light switches ... previous owner painted everything (including light switches and power points) in the bathroom cyan-aqua-teal-blue and everything in the laundry a garish peacock-emerald-scarey-green, I won't know the place once it's plain white :cool:

Just paint the walls in a gloss acrylic, same paint that is used on skirting and door arcitraves (?spelling?), do the ceiling in a mold resistant white ceiling paint, unless you are going to sell it quick then you can use anything cause no one will notice the difference.

1st preference - tile the walls to the ceiling and quality bathroom ceiling white paint with mold resistance.
2nd choice - gloss paint on walls, good white mold resistant ceiling paint
3rd choice - any paint but sell the the place.:D

cheers
quoll

Thanks guys for your response.

Given the ceiling height is 3.1 and at its lowest is 2.7mt, I am tiling to 2.1mt and have the rest painted. (But painting before they tile).

we used British Paints Wet area paint.... also has mould resistance.
Its not very glossy though.
We tinted it to be a "stone" white, so it matched the tiles more closely than pure white. (and we tiled to ceiling, except in laundry)
Pen

I'd recommend the Dulux Mouldsheild, Taubmans also have an equivalent (can't remember the name) which is also highly recomended. Both are available in low sheen or semi gloss. For optimal protection go with the semi gloss.

Coverage is usually quoted at 16 square metres per litre.

Both products have instructions for the most appropirate undercoat on the tin, which would be the best product to complement them.

Hi; this is what I'd recommend for a bathroom in an older house...
1. if not already present, have electrician install exhaust fan. HAve it wired so it goes on whenever the light is switched on.
2. remove any mould. Use a weak bleach solution for htis. You can actually mop it on and then push a hose through thte window and hose it off!
3. Use a binder-sealer paint on ceiling. This is an undercoat and stops moisture coming through. Very slippery to paint, goes everywhere, cover your hair.
4. Use a mould-retardant paint on top, the dulux one is good or one where you add the chemical is fine as well.:)

If the bathroom already has mould, you need to make sure you get it all off before starting to paint, otherwise it will reappear even with the mould resistant paints.

I was scrubbing with a sponge and a mix of sugar soap, bleach and water last week and the mould was not shifting, so I used a green scourer you scrub pots with and it easily came off then.

Bronwyn.

Back