ummm...rigghhtt

Damn - I reckon there is going to be a couple of neighbours who are probably going to want to sell in the next few weeks.....

Imagine being the buyer & seeing your property in the news then next day as the property that sold for a 'rediculous amount'.

As someone else has mentioned, I hope they aren't relying on finance - they may be in a spot of trouble if they are.

Doesn't the FIRB need to approve purchases of existing/old properties ie they can only buy OTP or new (previously uninhabited) houses/units in order to encourage investment in new stock and not to compete with with other buyers?

How likely is it that the purchasers already own the vacant block of land adjoining this one? (ie has special value to them as they will have 1600m2+ as a development site).

Doesn't the FIRB need to approve purchases of existing/old properties ie they can only buy OTP or new (previously uninhabited) houses/units in order to encourage investment in new stock and not to compete with with other buyers?

How likely is it that the purchasers already own the vacant block of land adjoining this one? (ie has special value to them as they will have 1600m2+ as a development site).

Still takes two people to bid it up that high, unless a couple of siblings were gp fighting to see who loved next to mum...

Prior to selling our first PPOR in concord west a house on the other side of the road sold around 20 % above expectations . We found out later that the next door neighbour bought it so their mother could move there .

I'd wonder whether the above house was in the catchment of James Ruse but that still wouldn't explain the price

Cliff

Last edited:
Holy moly, 2.3mil is what a friend of mine paid for her house in Rose Bay less than 12 months ago. Thats mental!

I can understand 2.3mil in Rose bay - established prestige suburb wherein 2.3 mil gives you social cachet and luxury living close to Sydney CBD. Also 2.3 mil is not uncommon in Rose Bay.

However, the property featured by the OP hardly fits this category and is out of line with comparable sales of bog standard houses in the suburb.

FIRB are just for show. I don't think they really do anything.

Call me crazy but there may actually be some asian residents or citizens in australia

yes. absolutely, market is about to boom and Asian/chinese are going to capitalise on this, this is a perfect example. they buy for their familes hence why there are 20 in a house. mostly at auction too cause they want to buy people out in a auction,

another example also in a different scenario I remember working in a hotel once and all the Asians would go to different hotels to get the wildcash jackpot, they would call eachother see how much wild cash was and figure out where it would go off at, sure enough they knew....

[facepalm]

Omg

Hiya

So i had a mum in my playgroup who was late yesterday...she told me she had to sign some documents as she had just bought a property in Carlingford/Epping border....

She had to beat other potential buyers as agent showed her through the door before actual open day.
She paid 780K for ...wait for it...a townhouse and ...wait for it...she is going to rent it out as she is living in a another unit in epping which she owns and ....wait for it....she is only 25 :eek:and yep from China.

"If i don't buy now, i will never get in again ; all my friends are doing the same :) if i flip it i will make another 100K ...... gulp

I think this is a case of perception blurring with reality....:eek:

These Chinese have probably been conditioned by the state of the China property market over the past 10 or so years,
Constant and continual massive rates of growth over that period.
You could understand this would affect their purchasing behaviour.

Foreign investment is a problem in Australia that needs to be by and large restricted. If the buyers are Australians, then fair enough. Although if they are not Australians, then there must be caps introduced as to the frequency and value of [residential] property they can purchase in Australia.

To all the mortgage brokers out there. Will the bank still value this at contract price??

I know its worth what someone will pay for it but this seems to be stretching it a bit far.

Back