Unauthorised vehicle in my parking spot

I mentioned in my initial post that I've attached a note on the front windscreen and in fact, if I've known the culprit, I will bring a box of fresh durian fruit and knock on the door.
@Wylie, they all looked like a logical point of escalation. What is the timeframe you would want to wait before boiling point ? 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, or 1 year without escalation.

Well... if you are reaching boiling point, do it NOW. If you do indeed have a "dedicated" parking spot for your particular unit, and the body corporate will do nothing about this person using your block of units as a free parking spot, then take matters into your own hand, and install a bollard to keep "your" park for your own use.

I fear this situation a lot. Whatever you do against the unauthorised car (even very politely asking them to move in a very quiet voice whilst avoiding eye contact), you need to worry that they take retributory action against you and your car, even though you are in the right.

That is why I have gone from living in unit to my own house. Sharing anything with other humans is fraught with danger and conflict.

I do love you satire.

Removable bollards. Pretty simple and straight-forward. Wait until their car has been moved before doing so, and just use it to protect your empty spot.

In Victoria, a car park on title (an accessory unit) means the spot is your property *you can do what you want with it subject to BC rules). A common property allocated by BC would mean that you don't have any direct control over it, other than thru the BC.

The Y-man

Thanks Y-man for clarifying this for me.

@china:
Retributory action can happen in almost any public/common places. Just that John Chee is more likely to get shot on the foot in US compare to AU :)
Living in a house does not actually solve the issue. You may have all funky high security gate in place, but it doesn't stop a culprit joker to somehow hack open the gate an park in your driveway for joy or throw a Molotov :eek:

Meanwhile, I'm thinking about these actions as the last resort:
1. Buy wheel clamps to lock down the wheel so he/she should have to contact me to unlock. At least, I know who's the owner.
2. Tow away the vehicle. I don't mind paying towing fee or the car's owner can pay upon pick-up.

Option 1 means touching somone else property without consent (probably not a good idea)

Option 2 may lead to escalation. Presumably the car park also has your room number. So the offender knows your place of residence and where you park your car.

Before doing either of the above, make sure you report it everytime to police so there is a long history of it. Make sure the report also has that you have left a pleasent note on every occasion.

That way, if push comes to shove, there is a trail of what has happened to assist in protecting you.

As a side note: Is the car park actually your property, or is it just an allocated spot and it's just an idle 'threat' that its your property?

Option 1 means touching somone else property without consent (probably not a good idea)

Also, illegal according to http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/sessionalview/sessional/act/1998-62.pdf

Option 2 may lead to escalation. Presumably the car park also has your room number. So the offender knows your place of residence and where you park your car.

I have had a first hand experience with that.

Before doing either of the above, make sure you report it everytime to police so there is a long history of it. Make sure the report also has that you have left a pleasent note on every occasion.

That way, if push comes to shove, there is a trail of what has happened to assist in protecting you.

+1

@exc & raj, not sure if you've read my latest update.
After learning the whole process, this is what I would do in the future:
1. Put a notes on the unauthorised car with friendly messages like "WARNING! You're NOT authorised to park in this spot. Registration no XYZ has been recorded. Please move the car immediately or it will be towed away at your own expenses"
2. Take as many photos with date & time. Report to Strata Manager with all the supporting images. Request them to contact the car owner to move the vehicle otherwise it will be towed away.
3. Report to Police. Request them to contact the car owner to move the vehicle otherwise it will be towed away.

After all the 3 above, I will wait for 24 hours before calling towing company.
Hope it helps others.

Def get the car towed. You'll only have to do it once. And don't touch the car (ie wheel clamps etc) - it's illegal and you'll get yourself into trouble. Leave it to the experts.

I once rented a flat in a multi-story block of flats. I paid extra to have an under cover parking bay. Most of the people in the flats did not work, so when I got home from work, my bay would be occupied - usually by the same vehicle (probably another tenant).

Manager was not interested, but still expected me to pay extra for the bay - even on the days I could not access it.

I sent a registered letter to the building owner's and the manager. I described the situation i.e. notes on windscreen, multiple approaches to the manager - and some suggested remedies. Remedies I suggested were notices at entry to parking area; notice on wall in front of each bay ; warning about towing; warning about penalties on their rent or cancellation of their lease. a chain and lock between brick pillars either side of the bay(s); fold down bollards.

The registered letter did get some action - a letter was sent to all tenants warning them that they (and their visitors) could not park in private bays at any time of the day or night. The problem reduced but was not fully sorted. I moved into the home I was having built, so never saw the final outcome - if there was one.

Back