Underpinning

Hi,

A question about underpinning...

Who here has had to underpin a house?

What type of underpinning did you use?

Has anyone here use http://www.uretek.com.au/ ?

I live in a federation house on sandy soil (100m from beach).

I wish to know about different underpinning experiences people have had.

Regards
Michael G

sorry i have not done this although , every building process is rather simple if you take small steps and understand the pocesses , good luck:cool:

I don't know much about it either but I did have a mate who had to do it, he couldn't find any reliable builders to do it and the ones who were willing were very dodgy so he ended up doing it himself fairly easily but he did almost kill himself with one mishap so be very carefull!

PPOR a couple back had underpinning done before we bought it.

We had an engineer's certificate to show it had been done. We found that the certificate was helpful when we went to sell too. The buyer could see that no further slippage had happened in the 12 years since the underpinning had been done.

Maybe have a chat with the local council or a building inspector in your area.

We've done some underpinning.

This was on clay/shale mix with some (but not much sand) thrown in. The bottom line is that the whole house should be standing on subsoil that expands and contracts at the same rate.

Basically our house was heaving in that the internal supports (brick veneer) were not in sink with the external walls such that things would rise and fall at different times depending in the moisture penetration.

We then decided to do an extension which meant that we needed to dig down to rock at the back of the house for the foundations. Our block has a 30-45 degree slope to the back. We had to dig down up to (down to:eek:) 3 m to find rock and at the same time underpin the whole back wall. The rock goes deeper across the block such that it was only 1m at one end and 3m at the other end. It took 15 cubic m of concrete just to fill these holes.

The next job was to replace all the main internal supporting peers again digging down to rock 2-3m holes and another 15 cubic m of concrete top of with galv posts.

Obviously whilst you are digging the house/wall/floor still needs to be supported so we had to use some pretty heavy duty acrow props, jacks, massive blocks of wood and lengths of wood etc.

Finally we had the underpin the side of the house where the bearing rock was 3m+ down, another 14 cubic m as these holes need to be enormous to be able to dig them by hand.

We still have some more to do which will finally conclude our underpinning unless there is movement somewhere the engineer did not think would move.

I guess you would can this mass underpinning as it is simply digging under the foundations pouring in a lot of concrete and then finally grouting between the old and the new.

The Uretek system is basically used to fill and /or re inflate subsidence (as I understand it). Unfortunately did not apply to our problem as our issue was both shrinkage and expansion.

We could have used coils or piles but it is impossible to get any heavy equipment down to our house.

In the end you will need to speak to an engineer (the right type) who should asses what the fundamental problem is and design a methodology which best suits your site.

Cheers

PS we didall the underpinning ourselves as it would have cost a fortune to have a builder

Finally found some pics of the underpinning holes

P1010024.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010006-1.jpg

My son in the green T is standing under the actual foundations of the house. He is just over 1.8m and we still had more to go

We didn't shore up the hole as the stuff was all rock hard but any holes this size in softer soil would need to be shored up to ensure no collapse.

Cheers

Last edited:
The problem with the resin injection systems is it does not fix shrinking soil , it does not strengthen soft clay it simply adds bulk. There are reports on the forums indicating that it is able to spontaniously combust. The only permamentl solution is to extend the foundation to soil that is stronger and not suseptable to moisture related shrinkage or expansion. Try Design project group Engineers 93880801 for a engineered solution. We have used them numerous times with great sucess

Back