Unemployed single mums with 3 kids

After having no luck finding tenants for my woody point unit, I have resorted to using gumtree. The amount of single mums with 2 or 3 kids and no job is quite alarming. Literally 10+ enquiries within 2 days

Most of them are very articulate, young, not disabled and seemingly very employable...but when I ask...they always say proudly; "on benefits"

Its a shame a lot of these women have ended up in such unfortunate scenarios, but I have to wonder, are they actually in an absolute dead end or do they choose not to work and use kids as an excuse? (no grandparents to look after kids?)

And lastly, would you ever consider one as a tenant?

If they were going to pay on time every week and keep the property in reasonable condition can't see why not. Can't see why would be different to a family with 2-3kids?

Of course. If they can demonstrate that they can afford it and have references. No different to any other applicant.

I've had a couple of single mums occupy properties - both have been excellent tenants.

Cheers

Jamie

I won't even consider as a tenant. You are more likely to spent a lot of time with resident tribunal to try to evict them out.

I won't even consider as a tenant. You are more likely to spent a lot of time with resident tribunal to try to evict them out.

This is one of my concerns. Good luck at tribunal especially with young kids on welfare involved

I had a single mum with young kids in another property before and I had to evict because she stopped paying rent.

Although she did leave upon eviction, it was evident she threw a bit of a hissy fit and left the place in a less than desirable state

Most of them are very articulate, young, not disabled and seemingly very employable...but when I ask...they always say proudly; "on benefits"

Its a shame a lot of these women have ended up in such unfortunate scenarios, but I have to wonder, are they actually in an absolute dead end or do they choose not to work and use kids as an excuse? (no grandparents to look after kids?)

A lot of them probably missed the memo that said if you can't feed them, don't breed them. I think we agreed on another thread that it's a cruisy job being a stay at home mum and bludgeing off the govt and their ex's assets. I can see it from their point of view. Why work when they can stay at home and get paid to watch DVD's with the kids. I used to be a slumlord and found that even though they might be lazy, at least they have a regular income from the govt so I would rent to them.

The one really bad tenant I've had across all my properties fitted this profile very nicely so I'm fairly bias against leasing to people on benefits.

I do agree however that if it's affordable for them and the rent can be paid directly by Centrelink, then it's fairly low risk for the landlord. They can make good tenants. I wouldn't put this type of tenant into a medium to high value property.

Keep in mind that the new budget is going to cut a lot of these entitlements...

After having no luck finding tenants for my woody point unit, I have resorted to using gumtree. The amount of single mums with 2 or 3 kids and no job is quite alarming. Literally 10+ enquiries within 2 days

It depends how old the kids are. I know for my sister it's only just become financially viable for her to start working as a single mum as 2 of her three kids are now at school, so her money from working isn't all getting eaten up on childcare fees. When she had 2 still at home, she couldn't justify working for maybe $50 more per week than welfare would pay her and miss all the time at home with her kids.

My concern would be the additional wear and tear of the property a stay at home parent with 2-3 kids running around would have. At least they would have stable "income" to pay rent though...

Little luck finding a tennant, but lots of applicants when you advertise on gumtree? Do these people not go to the RE when looking for a rental?

The question I would ask myself is how on earth are they going to pay their rent

assume $250 per week in rent, and on $500 per week benefits!

and no doubt $50 per week from deadbeat ex if at all

That would be insane, and thats before considering the trouble you are going to have to evict them ,

leech off the government for benefits
leech off the ex for support
leech off the fact they can play the "oh where are my poor kids going to live" card

its a big no no for me!

although I do have single mum tenants, however, they work and generate a moderate income

wear and tear of the property a stay at home parent with 2-3 kids running around would have. At least they would have stable "income" to pay rent though...

A single mother of 5 rented my place for a while and was an excellent tenant - never missed a beat with the rent 'cause it came straight out of centrelink.

Kids scuffed a few walls and banged a few doors but nothing unusual for kids. She didn't have much time for gardening (who does?) but did a really good clean up when she left.

I'm actually hoping to get a tenant on Centrelink benefits for the next lot so that I can ask them to set up a plan.

Good luck.

My concern would be the additional wear and tear of the property a stay at home parent with 2-3 kids running around would have. At least they would have stable "income" to pay rent though...

Little luck finding a tennant, but lots of applicants when you advertise on gumtree? Do these people not go to the RE when looking for a rental?

A large proportion of gumtree applicants would be those who have been rejected by property managers

yes, there are many downsides as reiterated by many here, but at the end of the day, cashflow is the priority and its a matter of taking the risk on a less desirable tenant and making sure your insurances are airtight

I agree TMNT - how the hell do they afford to raise 3 kids, look after themselves plus rent on benefits!?

A few have also offered their grandparents or other family members as gaurantors

It would depend on references and the rent would need to come direct from centre link.

I have had 2 of these tenants:
1) Had an abusive husband and had to escape with her kids and find a place to rent at short notice. No worries in the 2-3 years she was there.

2) Everying fine for 2 years until the rent just stopped and didn't respond to calls/letters. Evicted them and they left the place trashed with loads of rubbish and unwanted furniture left behind.

Side note: If you are going via gumtree instead of an agent just check that your landlord insurance policy will still pay out if it isn't agent managed.

And...... wait for it....... She's going to re roof the tin on the garage roof from her own money! Will set her back a grand at least!

As you can see not all single mums are bad.... she could have just married an @hole!

Back