Unit Reno

Hey guys

I've got a reno that I'm looking to do and was hoping to tap into some of your experience.

It?s a two bed unit which used to be 2 x 1 bed units, the previous owners removed a shared wall to convert into 1 unit. I?m looking at separating them back into 1 bed units and was wondering what the best option is for replacing the wall. I believe that originally it brick. The wall will be 2.2m across x approx. 2.5m I believe, just an average roof height. (Shouldn?t be an issue with strata management as it is on two separate titles)

What do you think would be the best solution? Would it be best to go with brick or another option? I guess I would need something that insulates the sound so that you can?t hear everything that?s going on in the neighbour?s apartment! Any idea on the cost to complete this as well (material and labour)?

Thanks heaps for any ideas!

I'd speak to Body Corp first. Hopefully they are easy to deal with.

In answer to your question I think brick will be easier as if it's not your other alternative is fire rated gyprock. The specs are pretty definite and can be expensive. We put in a firewall. It was 2 sheets on either side. You can put noise proof material in the wall cavity. This would also be thicker than brick.

There are laws to follow regarding fire proofing and noise levels. You'll need to comply with those.

Was the removal of the wall approved? I'm assuming BC knows about it.

Good luck.

I'd speak to Body Corp first. Hopefully they are easy to deal with.

In answer to your question I think brick will be easier as if it's not your other alternative is fire rated gyprock. The specs are pretty definite and can be expensive. We put in a firewall. It was 2 sheets on either side. You can put noise proof material in the wall cavity. This would also be thicker than brick.

There are laws to follow regarding fire proofing and noise levels. You'll need to comply with those.

Was the removal of the wall approved? I'm assuming BC knows about it.

Good luck.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm sure that the removal was approved, as the unit is now listed as one residence (for mailing purposes etc) despite being on two titles.

Will speak with Body Corporate, thinking they shouldn't disagree as it was originally two apartments.

If you don't mind me asking, when you put in your firewall, how much did it set you back?

Back