Unit with enclosed balcony

I'm looking at a unit that has an enclosed balcony. When it comes to a rental how important is a balcony in regards to attracting a tenant? I know I'd like one and considering the unit is in QLD I'd say it would be a necessity.

Anyone have any views on this?

We have one out the front and one off the main bedroom at the back -the more the merrier .Personally, we would not rent a place without one.

It depends on the unit. If it is a modern unit where the balcony seriously contributes to the living space ie 20-30m2 where you have room for a bbq, dining table, planter boxes, drying area etc then it is definitely worthwhile. Many older units may have a drying balcony (surrounded by breeze block) or useless balconies of about 1.5 m wide (too narrow to be useful).

An enclosed balcony can be useful if the property is on a busy road and the glazing knocks out the road noise. Check the orientation so that it doesn't become a sauna.

I can't think of any big negatives of having an enclosed balcony - and I'd assume that it would be more attractive to rent/buy then one without, especially up north in the hotter climate where it would get used quite a bit.

Cheers

Jamie

So having an enclosed balcony instead of an open balcony wouldn't deter tenants? I would have thought it would. I'd much prefer to sit outside but that's just my thoughts..

When you say enclosed do you mean it has windows that can open? Like a sunroom?
I prefer those as it's better for hanging clothes - no need to move your clothes when it rains.
Any balcony at all, however small, is better than no balcony.
For rent i think a very big balcony (unless you're overlooking something like a beach) won't command much more over an average -sized balcony.
Likewise an apartment with a balcony will always command a premium in rent (unless your apartment makes up for it in other ways eg location, oversized lounge etc)

I'm looking at a unit that has an enclosed balcony. When it comes to a rental how important is a balcony in regards to attracting a tenant? I know I'd like one and considering the unit is in QLD I'd say it would be a necessity.

Anyone have any views on this?

Just make sure the enclosure has been endorsed by the Strata, if it is a strata block, if not legal you may end up having to pull it down??? Not sure how it works in QLD, but know this can be an issue in WA/strata.

Just make sure the enclosure has been endorsed by the Strata, if it is a strata block, if not legal you may end up having to pull it down??? Not sure how it works in QLD, but know this can be an issue in WA/strata.

This would be my biggest concern. You should ensure the enclosure has been approved by the body corporate and does not breach the conditions of the development approval. I'm not sure what Council is involved, however it is not uncommon for Brisbane City Council (and I suspect others) to include conditions that balconies cannot be enclosed.

I've just spoken to the agent after he called the owner. Apparently the current owner has been there for over 10 years and the balcony was enclosed when he bought it.

The unit is in Stafford, Brisbane.

So having an enclosed balcony instead of an open balcony wouldn't deter tenants? I would have thought it would. I'd much prefer to sit outside but that's just my thoughts..

+1

An enclosed balcony is effectively just another room (that gets hot) ... For qld I would definitely want an open balcony also!

Enclosed balconies are good for main roads, dust and noise reduction, but would still want to be able to open the windows/glass slats etc on them if I wanted to!

Back