Units - pricing

Hope this is the best section for this.
I have been canvasing some of the local builders and most of them have not ever done any unit style complexes with common walls. Most have just reached for the smallest home buyers plan they have which is not what I am after. I am waiting on a response from 2 who do have some experience.

I have an opportunity to pick up a large block that has 833m2 coded for R80. 19m road frontage 43m deep. Potentially 6 units but I am thinking less ambitious development of 4 decent sized. The rest of the block which is about 900m2 would be either subdivided and sold or developed latter.
I am estimating a rough floor space of 130m2 per unit (inc garage) after setbacks and a driveway is allowed for. Probably 2 story to maintain a decent internal size 4x2 configuration on at least 2.

Anyone here willing to throw an estimate at me for construction per unit. This is the first time I have delved into units as I have previously stuck to residential housing.

The area I am looking at has some bigger 30+ units complexes built in the last 5 years in the CBD and a lot of 20year old single story 1 or 2 bed dumps in the outer areas. Units are on a par too a house rent wise in the area so depending on construction costs the lower cost of land per unit is attractive.

Well, this has kind of been abandoned. After due diligence there was some massive costs I could just not swing. Edit: or justify.
1) Rear proportion required 2 cul-de-sacs to be joined at my cost. Council requirement to take effect immediately no delay. Over 250m of road behind several large blocks. Never mind the end of 1 cul-de-sac was accessible from the block. Hidden in fine print of contract of sale.

2) Due to low water pressure in area any new developments required onsite water tank and pump system. Buried or out of sight from road, 5000L per unit.

3) Power it was probable that I would have to pay for a street transformer upgrade. To be confirmed once final demand calculations done. ie if gas hot water less required.

4) Sewerage upgrade required for entire street, while some of the costs were recoverable long term as others developed there was a sizable fee to get it to the block.
Didn't even bother getting the estimate for this, walked away at this point.

Instead I lowballed an offer today on a 925m2 block in a new area with R30 coding and to my surprise I got it.. Beside a park and 100m from shopping center.
Looks like I will be going a 2x2 and 2 3x2's.
This block had already been WAPC approved for a triplex and I had access to some development costs done up for a duplex.

Last edited:
Well, this has kind of been abandoned. After due diligence there was some massive costs I could just not swing. Edit: or justify.
1) Rear proportion required 2 cul-de-sacs to be joined at my cost. Council requirement to take effect immediately no delay. Over 250m of road behind several large blocks. Never mind the end of 1 cul-de-sac was accessible from the block. Hidden in fine print of contract of sale.

2) Due to low water pressure in area any new developments required onsite water tank and pump system. Buried or out of sight from road, 5000L per unit.

3) Power it was probable that I would have to pay for a street transformer upgrade. To be confirmed once final demand calculations done. ie if gas hot water less required.

4) Sewerage upgrade required for entire street, while some of the costs were recoverable long term as others developed there was a sizable fee to get it to the block.
Didn't even bother getting the estimate for this, walked away at this point.

Instead I lowballed an offer today on a 925m2 block in a new area with R30 coding and to my surprise I got it.. Beside a park and 100m from shopping center.
Looks like I will be going a 2x2 and 2 3x2's.
This block had already been WAPC approved for a triplex and I had access to some development costs done up for a duplex.

Hi Doovalacky,

Hope the triplex build is coming along nicely.
Mind sharing any updates on your build so far....

Cheers,
GC

Back