Unknown hardware store being built

A friend has been riding past a sign each day on a large bulldozed area of land. The sign says that a large hardware store is being built there subject to council approval. She wants to know which hardware store it is and when it will be finished. There are no builders or any people on the building site so she can't ask them. I tried calling the council but they didn't know. How can we find out? I thought we could call Bunnings, Mitre 10 etc and ask if it is them but would they tell us seeing as they don't have approval yet? I'm sure some of you clever people know how to find out things like this.

thankyou
Ellie

elli,

I'll have a go here.

I read the Australian Financial Review each day and the property section has info about all sorts of property deals that have been made between companies etc. I am not a Sydneysider, so I am not sure where the site you are referring to, is.

You could check the AFR website for previous news, as I recall a story late last year, where Bunnings are on the warpath to build many more warehouses, but smaller sizes (3,000 sq meter sizes).

Just did a search on the AFR website and there's 164 links to "Bunnings". Now if you have the time (and money*) .......

(*The only catch is that you'll have to pay for each AFR story to find out if it is going to be a Bunnings store!)

Sorry, not much help .....

Danny D.

elli,

Speak to the local council.

Or ask the neighbouring shops - they were likely to have been consulted.

As a final option, speak to the people at the next nearest hardware store, they're probably keeping an eye on their competition.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

I have access to all the quotes done by our company in NSW and we have quoted for some Bunnings stores. What suburb is it in?

Olly

Originally posted by Kristine..
Olly

Don't you have a fiduciary duty to your employer to keep their business dealings confidential?

I would NEVER jeopardise my job or do anything illegal by passing on confidential information. We are also a large, well known company and it would be a foregone conclusion that we would have quoted on major developments.

Developments are public knowledge and details are available in reports that can be obtained from companies that deal in these reports. It's already common knowledge to many that Bunnings is on a building spree and even if we hadn't quoted on it our Reps would likely know what was being built there.

In a previous post I said this -
"I should have added that really any 'building' type company that does quotes, estimates or tenders (e.g. concretors, bricklayers, carpenters etc) would have 'inside info' so to speak, so if you know anyone who is in this type of position they may be able to help you.

Companies also subscribe to reports that list developments, what stage the work is at, contact details etc. Companies then approach them and ask can they quote on the job. These reports can be tailored for specific areas, types of work etc. Cordell are one company that produce these reports, but they are not cheap. Once again, if you can get your hands on them it's worth looking through to see what's going on where.

Having said that, a lot of developments don't go ahead for various reasons so just 'cos you see it listed and know it's being quoted for doesn't mean it's a dead set goer. It's a small percentage that don't go ahead but you should be aware of it all the same."

I also mentioned in that post that "Bunnings stores were planned for Bankstown and Maitland and Port Macquarie was already underway."

I've since checked with the NSW Sales Manager about what I've said here and got him to look at this forum and he said it's OK as I haven't said what prices we quoted so I haven't hurt the business.

Hope that clears things up.

Cheers
Olly

PS: Ellie - Council would HAVE to know about developments going on in their area - they have to approve them after all, so maybe you spoke to someone in the wrong dept or just too lazy to find out and was trying to make you actually go in and pay $$'s to find out.

thanks everyone.

Tis in Cairns, pretty much on the boundary of Kamerunga and Redlynch. Brilliant idea about asking nearby shopkeepers. I will pass this on to my friend. The site is actually a little bit out in the middle of nowhere. Not quite, but the nearest place I can think of near it is a church and a retirement home. You're right though anyone nearby would know. Maybe some of the dear old people at the retirement home would like a visit and a chat about what is going on in their neighbourhood.

I will persist with the council too. I had the DA section (development applications?) so I thought it was the right area. Sometimes I forget that there are people who are lazy or just don't feel like helping.

good idea dwyerfam, but exy. At the place I used to work we had a subsciption to the fin review. Golly I miss it!!

Back