Updating to Digital Camera. What to look for??

:confused: I am looking to upgrade my old camera. You know the sort you put film in the back of.

Any budding techo's out there that can advise on what to look for.
IE, Pixels. Mega whatsinames, digi zoom, memory sticks. Ad on memory.

Etc, Etc , Etc.

Gee Cee

Old Fart :D

3.2 MegaPixels is a good size.

Digital zoom is rubbish. Ignore it. You can do the same thing on your PC with better results.

Optical zoom is good- but it depends on what you want to do. If you're just going to take shots of houses and beaches, you won't need it.

You should get rechargable batteries- the camera will eat up even the best batteries. A fast charger is good (about $90 for fast charger plus 4 AA batteries).

As to the size of the memory card- it depends on how many pictures you would want to take between visits to your PC. Pictures average around 1.5MB each- but allow for 2MB. So a 64MB card will hold 32-45 pictures at the highest resolution. I use a 128MB card in mine- but I will have to upgrade it when the family goes O/S. (You can take more pictures at a lower resolution- but probably that one which turns out really beautiful, you will not be able to blow it up).

It depends on your budget as well.

Dick Smith does a good basic 3.2 MP camera (no optical zoom) for $168.

Fuji have a 3.2MP with 10 times optical zoom (an excellent range) for $588 for the S5000, or one with 6 times optical- $378 for the S3000. These are larger cameras though- you may prefer size over performance :D

I finally upgraded to Digital yesterday.. I already had a good range of Canon EF lenses and I was loathe to give them up.. so I got a digital Canon EOS 300D SLR.. 6.3Mpixels and it fits all my old EF lenses! cool! :)

14_52352.gif

I agree with Geoff, Digital Zoom is rubbish.. if you can afford the extra dollars, a digital SLR is worth looking at. I find the whole exercise of peering at an LCD panel as you compose a photo quite awkward, with the SLR you retain the viewfinder and use that to compose.. it seems more natural. And the optics for an SLR camera are far superior to the little compact digitals.

I guess you're only buying it for photos of IP's at inspection times etc, right?

Last edited:
Prices have dropped considerably in the last year.

Go for a minimum 4 megapixel with a minimum 5x optical zoom.

I have a pentax with these specs and it sold for $1200 a year ago. Now half that price.

Stick with the well known brands and chose a camera with a battery that is rechargeable and with around 1800mAh

Cameras with 2 "AA" batteries will flatten the batteries in 8 photos. My camera (got back from cold coast last night) just took 400 photos at a very high resolution, stored on 1 x 128meg card and 1 x 512 meg card, with the battery put on the charger each evening. Not even close to running short of power each day.

All photos transferred to computer and burnt to disk free of cost once i got home, rather than having to use camera shop in queensland which could have cost $15 to burn disk with 128meg card (or 46 photos- printing not included).

Of course- the great thing about digital cameras is you only pay for the prints you select to keep. The rest can stay on your computer.

Gee Cee,

You might also find the Digital Camera guide from Next a useful resource. It's at newsagencies.

Caveat: I wrote part of the latest edition...mostly the bits on photo printers.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

JFEWSTER said:
Prices have dropped considerably in the last year.
The Fuji S5000 I mentioned at $588 was $999 not too long ago.
Cameras with 2 "AA" batteries will flatten the batteries in 8 photos.
AA batteries seem to be getting standard. Cheapies will not last for many photos; the good ones ($2+ per battery) last a lot more. The fast charge ones seem to last OK as well. The LCD display drains the batteries, as does flash.

Make sure you get the type of memory card you're happy with - there are seven or so different & not-compatible types out there at present...a major mess. Keep in mind anywhere else you may wish to use the memory card (you may well want to buy a large one).

Optical zoom is much more useful than digital zoom.

Look for devices with more than one way to network for redundancy.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Back