US "burner" phones

Stupid question

Sooo watching NCIS and again on US tv they cannot track the bad guy because they have a burn phone.

Riddle me this batman..... When the US are apparently so paranoid about terrorism how are these prepaid phones still untraceable? (Given that to get a prepaid here we have to supply 100 points)

Do thier telecomunications laws fall under freedom of speech?

When you buy a gun over there, you get a free prepaid cell phone....lol...can't they call them mobile phones like everyone else?

Authorities can still track a phone user. They know who you called. They know where you were when the call was made, they got time and date. A security camera could pick the user up, their car, number plate, finger prints on anything touched, even DNA.

I know, I should have been a cop.

Authorities can still track a phone user. They know who you called. They know where you were when the call was made, they got time and date. A security camera could pick the user up, their car, number plate, finger prints on anything touched, even DNA.

But not in reverse it appears? Eg from tonights show. Guy found dead, they look at his phone records... Sorry Gibbs last call was from a burner, (no way of telling who it was) flash to Abi in the lab to put together the pieces :)

Here is Aus that "last number received " is traceable to an owner.

the us is one of the only places still 'no registration required', for their phone system, I have a US phone number, just because,
think of it as the normal merkin level of incompetence

recording a name infringes on their 'rights'

so high school kids buy machine guns
crims buy any number of phones, guns, planes, boats

Stupid question

Sooo watching NCIS and again on US tv they cannot track the bad guy because they have a burn phone.

Riddle me this batman..... When the US are apparently so paranoid about terrorism how are these prepaid phones still untraceable? (Given that to get a prepaid here we have to supply 100 points)

Do thier telecomunications laws fall under freedom of speech?

100 points for a prepaid? are you sure about this? i recall last time setting up a prepaid number you just had to give a name, which may or may not have even been yours..

100 points for a prepaid? are you sure about this? i recall last time setting up a prepaid number you just had to give a name, which may or may not have even been yours..

When I was working in the industry (many years ago) there were strict ID requirements like this. But there have been sellers who have sold SIM cards without much if any collection of details.

Apparently an ID free NZ SIM works here https://twitter.com/joshgnosis/status/578395668336680960

The industry wants ID requirements to be relaxed http://www.communications.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/214963/AMTA.PDF

And the government is acting

http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo...dr/d85512b4-8807-4aff-947c-c3b2e4df6446/0164"

It must have been a long time since you bought one Jamie :D

Now you need to provide a drivers licence, they take the details from it and submit to Big Brother, I must have a red flag against my name the amount I've bought at various locations for the company I work for

Nothing you watch on TV is real, apparently.

FWIW, if Uncle Sam wants, they can really know the pagefile contents of your computer. They aren't answering questions if they have supplied "better" firmware to computer part manufacturers.

As Nolan Bushnell recently said, privacy, is only an illusion these days.

Back