USB data retrieval

Anyone know if there is any way possible to retrieve data from a USB that has snapped at the base of the circuit board where it attaches to the metal bit which inserts into a USB port.

Can the data inside the chip be saved if the chip is undamaged or can data only be saved if the board is intact?

I assume if this can be done it needs to be done by a professional and if this is case does anyone know where i should take it??

Hi weg. I'd try an old TV school repair guy to see if he can resolder it for you (unless you know someone who can solder).

Hi weg. I'd try an old TV school repair guy to see if he can resolder it for you (unless you know someone who can solder).

I thought soldering as there seem to be 4 or 5 connectors that have snapped off from what looks like solder on the board.

Will make some phone calls to various places including those guys and see how I go.

Can you post a pic? It may just need the port to be soldered back on. If the board itself is broken, that makes things harder.

Will post a pic soon.

Yes the base of the board has snapped.

Already phoned a couple of places and both fix these depending on the damage done.

Thanks spades... will see how I go locally and if no luck will let you deal with it if you think it can be fixed.

It could be easier for them to get the thing temporarily working (wires soldered into place etc.) in order to suck out the data rather than trying to permanently fix a damaged board. Would that make it a cheaper option? USB key's are cheap as. Labour isn't.

xanh,weg want's data retrieval rather than a permanent fix.

Spades,

Yes, that is what was stated in the opening post. However, the following posts suggest a fix (to me, a 'fix' implies a more permanent solution).
I just mentioned it in case the OP hadn't specified that to the repair guy, that's all.

Back