Vasectomy... advise me I am scared.

Peter,
Does your wife know you are asking this question over the www ??
Not the kind of question I would be asking the world about - thats for sure :eek:

Had it done 4 or 5 years ago after 3 girls. Mum was devastated. She thought we'd just keep going till we had a boy. She still thinks only blokes can be farmers.

It's easy. I went under for the op. Was not sore much for first few days, and even raced my dirtbike a few days after. Hurt a bit after 5 or 6 days [possibly racing the bike didn't help:D], then that's it. Everything back to normal, except your wife will love you just that little bit more for doing something easy but is a bit more difficult for her to have got done.

See ya's.

If you think I would ever willingly let someone with sharp objects near my goolies then in the word of our now deceased premier Joh:
"you're wrong Jana... you're just wrong wrong wrong....."

If I were your wife I'd be saying "until you get the vasectomy, if you ever put your goolies near me, I'll bring out the knife and do it myself". :p

Everything back to normal, except your wife will love you just that little bit more for doing something easy but is a bit more difficult for her to have got done.

What a good man you are.... :) (dirt biking :eek:).

The other thing that is worth mentioning is that we considered having my tubes tied during my last Caesar op but was told by more than a few medical people that apart from the major op involved, many women experience a lot of monthly discomfort after this op (or something like that).

After suffering from that until our first child, a trip back to painful days every month was absolutely out of the question, so it was either the snip for hubby, or two bricks.

Hi, my hubby had it done after we were told I wasn't allowed to have any more kids (have 3). I have been very happy that he took the step for us so that I didn't have to have even more surgery.
Frozen peas make a great cool pack as they mold to the shape and can keep all of it cool.
Friend of a friend rode his motorbike home from the surgery (what a man:rolleyes:) and was laid up for weeks with hugely swollen nuts.

hugely swollen nuts.

That's hugely swollen BLACK and PURPLE nuts. :p
At the peak period you do have to take on a bit of a waddle.

He was obviously just soft then if he was laid up for weeks. Imagine the carry on if this bloke had to give birth?

See ya's.

I had it done about 5 years ago. After the 2nd came along.

It was under local, which, i agree, is pretty weird. But i was up and out within a couple of hours.

I had a small cut on each side of the scrotum with self absorbing stitches.

My procedure was not without complications tho. Apparently the vas carries not only a tube for sperm but also some very small arteries and maybe some other stuff, not sure.

Anyway, what happened was the doctor cut a really small artery as well as the vas and then put it all back inside and closed up.

Well, the little artery starting bleeding inside and after half a day everything in the region turned purple and red and i had testes the size of a large orange. ( i took some digital shots just in case i needed to sue him. Anyone want me to post them up? :D )

And it was very, very painful. I went back the next morning and he said "nothing we can do, the bleeding will stop and the swelling will go down" He gave me some POWERFUL pain killers that just zonked me out and i laid in bed for 2 days. Then all was fine.It took a few more days to get back to normal, but all good. :)

I still havn't been back for the test, i'm always thinking to but never get around to it. This thread has inspired me, i might ring the doc this morning for an appointment.

I hope this hasnt put you off. Apparently its very rare to have problems. I have known lots of guys to have a vas and not one problem.

i applaude you on taking this step. huby (at nearly 50 and 4 daughters later) is adament he doesn't want any more kids ... but completely switches off if i mention the "v" word. the strange part is that i'd like more kids - only having had 1 myself.

maybe i should have a whoops moment ;)

They say there is a Vas Deferens between a man and a woman :D

..... I wonder if you could cook the peas afterwards and pop them in with the dinner?.....

Hrm, I was going to haul the other half off to get snipped ... or at least mention it to the doc at my scheduled poke-and-prod next week. I'm 35 this year and will have 3 kids - the third is allegedly the Other gender so don't even have the issue of "are you going to keep trying for a boy" but he only turned 30 last week. I don't know why any sane individual would want more than 3 kids, personally.

Do they have any kind of minimum age for this or can anyone with a scrotum get it?

i applaude you on taking this step. huby (at nearly 50 and 4 daughters later) is adament he doesn't want any more kids ... but completely switches off if i mention the "v" word. the strange part is that i'd like more kids - only having had 1 myself.

maybe i should have a whoops moment ;)

LOL! If he won't get the vasectomy, then a whoops moment cannot be guaranteed against.:D

Hubby had his while in his late 20's not long after the birth of Lil. All went fine, and the doctor told him to go back to work as usual. In those days he worked rather hard as an electrician, usually on large industrial sites. Well, all the dirt (and sweat) caused a nice infection down there. I can't remember if he had to have the stitches re-done, or not, but he had to stay off work for a while for the infection to clear and the stitches to heal.

Even with the discomfort that he had, it was still much better than me having the tubes tied. To do that would have been major abdominal surgery with a much longer recovery time.

Seems like an extreme step to take, it's not like you are that old either.

I'm not wishing you bad luck, but things happen, such as divorce or death, what if for whatever reason you were to remarry one day? What if she's still in her thirties, and wants to have a child?

There are a few reliable ways of avoiding pregnancy without having to cut anyone.

Seems like an extreme step to take, it's not like you are that old either.

I think Peter said he was near 50. On the other hand, we were quite young at the time.

It does seem an extreme step when on the outside looking in, however these days it is easy to get reversed. We had already decided before Lil was born that two was all we were going to have. If you have made a decision that you don't want more children, then I feel it is a good step to take.

There are a few reliable ways of avoiding pregnancy without having to cut anyone.
Some of us are just annoyingly fertile. To coin a phrase, I got pregnant with the most recent one by pegging the other half's undies out on the line :)

I knew a girl once who was 22 and had got pregnant on the pill, injection, implant, condoms and IUD. The IUD pregnancy resulted in an abortion. She had 5 kids - at 22 - and they refused to tie her tubes because she was too young. Unsurprisingly she was on welfare, in public housing. I'd hate to think how many kids she has now. They were cute kids though - she was a redhead so they were mostly redheads and that really white blonde.

But then on the other side of the fence we have a woman in the local playgroup who has 7 kids. She goes around asking anyone with less than 3 kids when they're going to have more ... especially people with only girls. And if you've seen our local playgroup (something like 80% of toddlers in this town are girls - there were only 2 boys born here in 2007) that's a lot of the parents.

I think Peter said he was near 50.

nearly 50 is old :confused:

It does seem an extreme step when on the outside looking in, however these days it is easy to get reversed. We had already decided before Lil was born that two was all we were going to have. If you have made a decision that you don't want more children, then I feel it is a good step to take.

I think that anyone that hasn't had thier tubes cut or tied, doesn't know what it feels like, and is on the outside looking in.

Maybe it's easy to get it reversed, by I think it's much easier to just use a condom and pull out early = 99.999% prevention

They say there is a Vas Deferens between a man and a woman :D

..... I wonder if you could cook the peas afterwards and pop them in with the dinner?.....

Yeah, but frozen food doesn't taste as good as the fresh stuff. My boy loves fresh veges, but refuses to eat frozen ones. You can sneak them in and he will just spit them out, and tell us that they are no good.

they refused to tie her tubes because she was too young.

That absolutely infuriates me!!! I don't want kids at all, never have never will. Thankfully I'm scared of doctors so wouldn't try to go down this path, but if I did want to, the thought that someone can tell me what I might want later on... :mad: Would they rather I accidentally get pregnant and have to have an abortion? :confused:

By the way, for the guys on here getting the snip, good on you! Especially if your wife has provided you with children, she's done her bit. Yikes, the thought of childbirth would scare me more than a snip... :)

Back