Veggie Patch - New Thread

Hi all, tThanks to all who inspired the Mrs and I to take action here. The results have exceeded all our expectations !!!! :):):)

Thought I'd share some evening/ night shots of our project. Cherry tomatoes, lettuce, parsley and zucchini are just a few of the things growing.

Proves anything is possible once you put your mind to it ! :)

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 93
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 71
wow

wow, blew me away.

That looks really good.

You must have a big backyard. Sorry if you have mentioned it elsewhere, I haven't been following this community for a while....

i am sooooo jealous - my vege patch is currently consigned to two pots on the back patio ... currently renting and the entire yard is pavers or pebbles (not a single plant). that's what you get for living in the dry part of the dry country.

although i did pick my first tomato last week and the taste was stupendous.

I've given up on veggies. Plant them in spring, they die from cold. Plant them in summer, they die from heat. Plant them in autumn, they die from cold. Plant them in winter they don't come up at all.

The only things I can grow are oily herbs (frost resistant), strawberries (frost resistant), tomatoes if I plant them late, keep them well out of the sun and don't mind that they insta-die come autumn, pumpkins if I plant them late and really lay on the water and get them in before the frosts, and various frost-and-drought tolerant fruit trees. Its amazing how fast frost kills things. I'd love a greenhouse but can't justify the expense and effort :(

And I haven't put any veggies in this year because I've been so busy at the IP ...

The feeling of satisfaction from walking out to your yard and picking up a few lettuce leaves to whip up a salad is priceless.

Watching your own produce grow knowing that it has not been sprayed with chemicals so it may last even better.

Stage II of project is to have our own chooks ! Caged eggs are definitely a major turn off. :( :( :(

I've given up on veggies. Plant them in spring, they die from cold. Plant them in summer, they die from heat. Plant them in autumn, they die from cold. Plant them in winter they don't come up at all.

Have you got a floor in the kitchen yet? If not, you could plant the vege garden in the kitchen. :)
That would keep the frost of em in winter and the sun off em in summer, and you could have the sink waste water going straight onto em for irrigation.

See ya's.

Stage II of project is to have our own chooks ! Caged eggs are definitely a major turn off. :( :( :(

In the meantime there are many private farms that you can buy eggs from. Just look for the signs on those quiet country roads - or in the case of Sydney, out Dural way and Camden etc.

Back