Vendor wants to stay post settlement

Hi. Just spoke the vendor of place we purchased. Settlement is due in 2 months. He's asked to stay for an extra week or 2 after settlement so he can fix up the place he bought. He needs the settlement date to stay as is so he can settle on his new property (same day). I dont mind doing this as he has offered to pay rent. But does this leave me exposed? Is there a better way to structure this? I was thinking reducing the contract price and writing in a clause of allowing him to stay for 2 weeks.

Can you agree to simply settle two weeks later? That way, you're not paying a mortgage and you don't have to worry about taking him on as a tenant for two weeks.

Cheers

Jamie

He needs the settlement date to stay as is so he can settle on his new property (same day). I dont mind doing this as he has offered to pay rent. But does this leave me exposed? Is there a better way to structure this?

Ask your solicitor to draw up an agreement so that the vendor can stay on for 2 weeks "under licence". This avoids the need for a lease and a bond under the resi tenancy act (RTA) and has more 'legal weight' and none of the tenant 'protections' offered under the RTA.

great...thanks for the advice. Im probably going to decline as he has only offered $400 per week. The interest cost of me financing the property is $90 a day. Does not seem worth it.

I would also be inclined if this is the case to hold back part of the deposit say $3000 as a bond in case he does damage to the property prior to him vacating the property. I would also do a final inspection on settlement and then again as he leaves to cover the $3000

You should tell the vendor this and ask for that much in rent :)

great...thanks for the advice. Im probably going to decline as he has only offered $400 per week. The interest cost of me financing the property is $90 a day. Does not seem worth it.

Back