Venting Frustration at Telstra

Why are Telstra so terrible?

I built my house which completed in July 2013 on a brand new street. All the other houses in the street finished roughly the same time.

Yet no Telstra infrastructure was organised. There is no copper laid in the street nor any pits. Current ETA on getting a home phone service (pre-requisite for internet) was updated today to being May 2014 (it was April 2014 last i asked, and Christmas 2013 the time before that). I imagine its a more difficult task given that the street is full of houses than it would have been prior.

I'm using a Telstra 4G service at the moment, which is pretty costly, but only option available.

I've tried talking to TIO. All they can suggest is an interim service (which consists of an Optus mobile charged at home rates for both rental and calls), which is fairly pointless and inconvenient.

I'm now talking to the shire council. When they approved a developer to create a new street, why wasn't ensuring deployment of essential services part of the pre-requisites?

Grrr. :mad:

Last edited:
Basically Telstra has given up on infrastructure while they wait for the NBN to be rolled out.

What I don't get is if you are in a new area why no fiber optic? All the new areas here are now fiber optic so they are ready for NBN.

Basically Telstra has given up on infrastructure while they wait for the NBN to be rolled out.

What I don't get is if you are in a new area why no fiber optic? All the new areas here are now fiber optic so they are ready for NBN.

Yup, builder made me pay extra to have NBN point put into the internal of the house since the developers covenants asked for it. There's no fibre laid in the street though.

I asked iinet (my usual ISP) about NBN as an alternative and they were under the impression that rollout had been discontinued in WA.

I asked iinet (my usual ISP) about NBN as an alternative and they were under the impression that rollout had been discontinued in WA.

Haven't heard that. Hope not! Telstra have had their hands in their pockets the last 6 years not doing anything waiting for the NBN. If the NBN gets canned they will be way behind.

I had to ring 6 isps to even get a free port for my business a couple of years ago and they only had a few left at the exchange. This is in a business area mind you. That is how poor investment into infrastructure has been over the last decade. There are businesses around here only able to get wireless!

Due to problems getting reconnected in our house - we gave up on a land line and operate only by mobile and a prepaid WiFi USB toggle.

Have to admit - it works out cheaper for us and no hassle of telemarketers

Due to problems getting reconnected in our house - we gave up on a land line and operate only by mobile and a prepaid WiFi USB toggle.

Have to admit - it works out cheaper for us and no hassle of telemarketers

I'm happy to operate via mobile for calls, I don't have any friends anyway :p

Wireless for internet is too slow, too expensive, too unreliable, too quota-deprived.

Why is it Telstra's fault?

It is the local councils and state governments who insist on pushing out new developments without infrastructure being in place when people move in.

It is the local councils and state governments who insist on pushing out new developments without infrastructure being in place when people move in.

I agree with this. The problem is the regulatory uncertainty - will there be an NBN? Will it be scrapped? When will it come? Hard to blame Telstra necessarily but I understand the frustration. By the way - I wouldn't be so keen to go onto the NBN - my friend is on an NBN plan he pays $100 for 50GB a month. What a rip off.

Actually - this is true ... many many moons ago - when I worked for Telstra - one of the big bug bears was major development going ahead and Telstra not being notified to install their infrastructure, as the telephone is not consider "essential amenity" like water and electricity.

If they are not notified, then they don't know to install - sometimes it would just be a local tech driving past and seeing a development who would alert up the chain, but often this would be to late for planning and install.

Even more regular was homes being fully built without being notified by the builder ... and to try and retrofit an entire subdivision (or home) is a nightmare.

I'm in the same boat. I recently moved into a place into Kensington (5 kms from the Melbourne CBD) and cant get internet connected because either there are no ports available at the local exchange or because of the pair gain cabling system they used here (the story changes depending on which Telstra call centre operator I talk to).

I reckon the prepaid dongle is fine for emails and web browsing but it is way too expensive to use for watching catch up TV.

why don't just go other providers etc
i just use tpg unlimited for ADSL2+ that is sufficient some combo with tv line rental.

use it for foxtel (which can be used in multiple tvs) hangs once in a while but is acceptable, watching online series and downloading stuff etc.

why don't just go other providers etc
i just use tpg unlimited for ADSL2+ that is sufficient some combo with tv line rental.

use it for foxtel (which can be used in multiple tvs) hangs once in a while but is acceptable, watching online series and downloading stuff etc.

Provider is irrelevant in this case. Mine is iinet but they can't provide anything without copper in the ground. Telstra wholesale has been requested to do this for months and they havent.

Provider is irrelevant in this case. Mine is iinet but they can't provide anything without copper in the ground. Telstra wholesale has been requested to do this for months and they havent.

Did the developer organise pits and pipes installation?
http://www.communications.gov.au/policy_and_legislation/fibre_in_new_developments

"Providers generally

A developer can choose any provider to service its estate. It is a commercial decision for providers to service a development, but none is required to do so. Only NBN Co and Telstra, as providers of last resort, must comply with requests in their respective areas of responsibility.
NBN Co

NBN Co Limited is responsible as provider of last resort for the installation of fibre in:

developments of 100 or more premises approved after 1 January 2011
developments that have fibre that is ready for service and capable of connection
new developments within areas where NBN Co has announced it will roll out fibre within the coming 12 months.

NBN Co may also provide fibre infrastructure in smaller developments where it is practicable for it to do so. NBN Co may use whatever operational arrangements it chooses to service new developments.

Developments in which NBN Co is providing fibre are in the rollout map on the NBN Co website.

Telstra

Telstra has responsibility as provider of last resort for delivering infrastructure and services in developments of less than 100 premises approved after 1 January 2011. Telstra is also responsible for developments approved prior to 1 January 2011, still awaiting infrastructure. Telstra has indicated that it will primarily use copper infrastructure in these developments, but may also use high-quality wireless on a limited basis.

To ensure that retail services are offered in new estates, Telstra (as retail provider of last resort) is required to provide standard telephone services to end users in new developments in which retail services are not offered by another service provider.
Developers

Developers are responsible for meeting the cost of pit and pipe infrastructure.

Before NBN Co will deploy fibre, developers will need to transfer ownership of the pit and pipe to NBN Co pursuant to an agreement with NBN Co to provide fibre in the new estate.

In developments of less than 100 premises, where developers have an agreement with Telstra to provide telecommunications infrastructure, developers will need to transfer ownership of pit and pipe to Telstra as a commercial condition of Telstra serving the development.

The provision of passive infrastructure by developers recognises the considerable investment NBN Co and Telstra will make in providing cabling and associated equipment as providers of last resort.

It will be up to other providers what arrangements they require in this area.
Third-party pit and pipe

Third-party providers can install pit and pipe for use by NBN Co and Telstra, but must meet NBN Co specifications until an industry code or Australian Communications and Media Authority standard is in place. Other providers will have their own arrangements."

I think telstra have a unlimited 4g for customers that cant get internet. If you change to telstra and go on a 12 month contract (i know it sucks) but you might then get atleast internet that does not have a quota and then after 12 months swap back to IINet.

Aaron - I will be paying $80 for 150G with unlimited off peak for phone and internet when my NBN is connected. Cant blame the NBN for a ISP charging a rate.

Just had a friend go through the same. He spent $2000 for 2 months 4g internet and he has a copper line into his house but cant get it connected because NBN is be connected in this area.

I'm happy to operate via mobile for calls, I don't have any friends anyway :p

Wireless for internet is too slow, too expensive, too unreliable, too quota-deprived.

depends what wireless. i have adsl2+ and my 3g internet is faster and 4g is WOW way faster .
but expensive yes hence the adsl2+.

I think telstra have a unlimited 4g for customers that cant get internet. If you change to telstra and go on a 12 month contract (i know it sucks) but you might then get atleast internet that does not have a quota and then after 12 months swap back to IINet.
unlimited 4g...! can you find any documentation to support your statement?
it sounds too good to be true.

I wouldn't be so keen to go onto the NBN - my friend is on an NBN plan he pays $100 for 50GB a month. What a rip off.

can he not change to another provider?
going to nbn would double my quota, 4x my download speed and 25x my upload and i would save $20 a month.
pity its not in my area

Generally under the emergency services part of Telstra's contract to Australia they have to supply you with something if they can't give you copper so they should give you a mobile in lieu of a home phone.
It doesn't help you get internet though.
I recently hooked up some of my staff with Vivid wireless 4G modems and it rocks. They can VOIP on it and it is faster than my iinet adsl2+. They have the unlimited data one which is $79 a month.

http://www.vividwireless.com.au/plans?gclid=CLukqfC5vLwCFctYpQodV3MA-g

Back