very cheap granny flat builder - should i be worried?

Patio

Hi Brazen

The "trick" about the patio is very very interesting...

i have plans to lay concrete on my 3 by 3m patio outside my granny flat....what do i have to do to "create" an extra room? is that a big job?:)

(but of course this is just conjecture, i will never never do it:p)

I just had a client do that^^ exactly. Patio has been approved (30 sq m extra) on top of the 60 sq m granny flat and he plans (cough cough, unofficially) to 'enclose' a portion at a later date.

Ofcourse he wont enclose it. Never will. EVER :)
Thats exactly what i wanted to do, but its already built now. I guess i am looking at adding a patio (timber deck, rather than pouring concrete) and building a wall out from the existing perimeter to add another BR, did you need to get anything different in order to have that larger concrete balcony approved under a CD? Do you have a section of the roofing covering the Patio? showing perhaps a 15 deg tilt roof? or even integrated into the overall roof structure? love this thinking outside the box stuff, but ofcourse would never do it :)

Thats exactly what i wanted to do, but its already built now. I guess i am looking at adding a patio (timber deck, rather than pouring concrete) and building a wall out from the existing perimeter to add another BR, did you need to get anything different in order to have that larger concrete balcony approved under a CD? Do you have a section of the roofing covering the Patio? showing perhaps a 15 deg tilt roof? or even integrated into the overall roof structure? love this thinking outside the box stuff, but ofcourse would never do it :)

As long as it's minimum 900mm from the side/rear boundaries, under 3.6m high an awning/patio/verandah is allowed as Exempt Development (no approvals needed) as long as the floor space doesn't exceed 20 sq m.
This is compliant with the SEPP for Exempt and Complying Development (2008)
http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/maintop/view/inforce/epi+572+2008+cd+0+N

I hope this is what you meant.
This is for NSW only of course.

Hi Brazen,

Your posts are the most informative on this subject. Much appreciated.

Looking at the floor plans on your site, I notice the main dimensions are external. But doesn't the SEPP only specify floor space? Therefore, for example, the outside dimensions for a 10 x 6 could be really 10.6 x 6.4 approx, so as to allow a full 10 x 6 internal space. Am I wrong?

The other thing is: couldn't it include LUGarage, as addition to the 60sqm, since the SEPP mentions garageing as excluded from the floor space? So the granny could be 90 sqm including a 30sqm LUG. Am I wrong here also?

Yangaz' idea about the patio extension is a good one. I'm thinking along these lines:

A coach-house style 2 storey in brick veneer, 60sqm above, double garage below, 30 sq semi-enclosed patio facing a private garden. Potential to enclose the patio at a later date into a sunroom-lounge.

In theory, this would pass the granny flat restrictions. What do you think.

The "trick" about the patio is very very interesting...

i have plans to lay concrete on my 3 by 3m patio outside my granny flat....what do i have to do to "create" an extra room? is that a big job?:)
My builder argued against the patio idea saying that it is not worth it in terms of rental return.. but I still think this addition would make it rent faster. So I'm getting him to do paving outside the sliding door area.

Hi Brazen,

Can you/anyone recommend any builders who are price competitive yet delivering a good quality product in Granny Flats, on my list i have the following:
1) Granny Flats Australia (Cid)
2) Ian Cubitts
3) ?

Any other guys around in the Sydney Region?

Thanks

Hi Brazen,

Can you/anyone recommend any builders who are price competitive yet delivering a good quality product in Granny Flats, on my list i have the following:
1) Granny Flats Australia (Cid)
2) Ian Cubitts
3) ?

Any other guys around in the Sydney Region?

Thanks

I can add 3-4 builders who do a great job at a reasonable price. They are private builders, not sitting under a blanket company, if you know what I mean.

These guys do sometimes work for these larger companies^^ (when it's quiet) and these larger companies charge a premium for the same end-product, savvy?

Brazen.

Last edited:
So are those kit homes just the materials basically?

Not including all labour and electricity/plumbing/approvals etc...

Seems quite expensive if you ask me at 38k

Brazen,

What are the costs for the independents? Under 75k for turn-of-the-key 60sqm?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/260967866376?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Been looking at this mob above/below, attractive 2 bedder.

I believe they are Sydney based and frames made at Newcastle.
They also offer frame up by their crew if you do it in kit form yourself.

http://www.kithomesonline.com.au/steel-kit-homes/2brrosecottage/

Someone may have views on their service.

That's a lockup kit only (no internals) for $39,000? And the windows shown arent included..hmmm sorry, no that's NOT a good deal at all.
I can get you fully supplied and delivered kit (in 4 stages) for around $35,000.
That includes all internals (kitchen, bathroom, floor coverings, fittings etc).

Labour is still going to be (assuming you'll do nothing yourself) around $50,000 including the foundations, sewerage/drainage/gas/rainwater tank, water/electricity/gas meters and data lines, all labour, painting, even the clothes line and lanscaping. clean-up etc i.e. Turn-Key, nothing more to spend.

All up, a quality (and I mean quality) granny flat is going to cost you about $85,000 to $95,000 (turn-key) depending on site constraints (slope, access to services, vehicular access for the builder, size of bathroom/kitchen, quality of the tiles/floor coverings etc).

Last edited:
So are those kit homes just the materials basically?

Not including all labour and electricity/plumbing/approvals etc...

Seems quite expensive if you ask me at 38k

Brazen,

What are the costs for the independents? Under 75k for turn-of-the-key 60sqm?

Independants can be as low as $75k, yea.

Wow 75k. I'm being told about 105k. Also have been told that because my sewer line goes under the granny flat I have to have it encased and that will cost about 8000. Is that right? I was hoping to get away with about 80k. Is that doable without getting something that looks really cheap?

Wow 75k. I'm being told about 105k. Also have been told that because my sewer line goes under the granny flat I have to have it encased and that will cost about 8000. Is that right? I was hoping to get away with about 80k. Is that doable without getting something that looks really cheap?

Sewer encasement costs around $7k, yes.
Yes, 80k is doable but around $90k will get you better inclusions.

I can add 3-4 builders who do a great job at a reasonable price. They are private builders, not sitting under a blanket company, if you know what I mean.

These guys do sometimes work for these larger companies^^ (when it's quiet) and these larger companies charge a premium for the same end-product, savvy?

Brazen.

Hi Brazen, I am new to the forum; I find your postings are highly informative. I am currently buying an IP in Newcastle (701 sqm block) with a small cottage (104sqm) with a double garage at the back/side. The block is sloping to the side to council owned land -drainage area (no neighbour on 2 sides), and the 2 double garage is on the lower slope.

Given the layout of the house+garage, I am thinking of building a 2BR GF with a verandah behind the existing cottage (on the higher side above the double garage), for my own use. The land is zoned 2a Residential - R2 Low Density Residential (so building GF is allowed with consent); but it is also in the flood prone area (though we did not observe any sign of historical flood on the building).

Do you know any of these private builders operating in Newcastle area?

What is included in the service provided by your company? What is the cost for it to be done in Newcastle?

Being in the area classified prone to flooding, what should be the min height of GF above the ground? What type of document will tell me about this?

Regards,
Malem

Thanks EB and others :) We make our money from the surveying/designing/approval & making sure the project runs smoothly.

A granny flat design and aplication package will normally cost about this:
$2,500 Draftsman
$300 BASIX Assesment
$1,200 Survey
$1,300+ Hydraulic Engineer
$1,200 Structural Engineer
TOTAL: $6,500

We do all of that^^ for around half the price. We also keep the thing running smoothly.
Check out our website. The pricing is there for all to see.

The Private Certifier's fee is about $2,000 for the construction 'critical stage' inspections, payment of the Builder's Long Service Levy, the Sewer Approval, Council's notification/archiving fees and for the Final Occupation Certificate.

Now, the thing that REALLY (REALLY) sucks is when a 'certain few' Council's are STILL charging their ridiculous 'Section 94 Contributions Fees'.

Ive got another thread in somersoft that lists these ridiculous Council fees by Council (as we've come across them):
http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59921

Some Councils have revoked the fees, for example Byron Bay used to charge something like $25,000!! for a 2br granny flat, now it's NIL. Gosford have also waived the fee. Most Councils don't charge the fee if the cost of works is under $100,000.

Councils who I know for sure charge them (even if the cost of works is <$100k) include:
Blacktown: Aprpox $4,500 for 2 bedrooms
Cessnock: Approx $4,000 for 2 bedrooms
Lake Macquarie: $10,500 for 2 bedrooms
Ryde $6400 regardless of the size.

I know there's a few more but the levy documents are quite dynamic and change from time to time- which only makes it even more difficult to keep track of. I mean, some of these Councils have appointed new staff positions entitled 'Section 94 Contributions Officer' just to catch jobs done through private certifiers, and make sure the Owner gets charged this fee.

It's a travesty and it should NOT be allowed.

Ridiculous, yet there's nothing anyone can do to stop it. Council's are immune and effectively given free reigh to charge whatever they like, despite publicised objections by the Dept. of Planning and various members of State Parliament. The Dept Of Councils (through the Local Govt Act) is immune to any other agency's intervention. Im no lawyer but I speak to the Department of Planning regularly enough to know they're just as frustrated as I am!

They call it the 'Affordable Rental Housing SEPP' while Council's charge this ridiculous (unaffordable) fee. I suppose it's their way of sticking it up the Dept of Planning for taking DA work away from them via the SEPP? That's just my opinion, and yes, it P$*%^*%es me right off.

I'm passionate about it because it's unjust.
Most of these are not wealthy areas!
Merry Xmas to the Councils I mentioned above.

Hi Brazen,
Do Newcastle City Council also charge the Section 94 Contributions Fees? How much would it cost for a 2BR GF?

I can answer that I think after hassling Brazen so much..NCC don't charge Sec 94 fees (but Lake Macquarie Council do - big time!).

Depending on available space, the slope, your budget Brazens GF builders can do GF's for around
1. 60 sq m for around $85k
2. 42 sq m for around $72k

Hi Brazen, I am new to the forum; I find your postings are highly informative. I am currently buying an IP in Newcastle (701 sqm block) with a small cottage (104sqm) with a double garage at the back/side. The block is sloping to the side to council owned land -drainage area (no neighbour on 2 sides), and the 2 double garage is on the lower slope.

Given the layout of the house+garage, I am thinking of building a 2BR GF with a verandah behind the existing cottage (on the higher side above the double garage), for my own use. The land is zoned 2a Residential - R2 Low Density Residential (so building GF is allowed with consent); but it is also in the flood prone area (though we did not observe any sign of historical flood on the building).

Do you know any of these private builders operating in Newcastle area?

What is included in the service provided by your company? What is the cost for it to be done in Newcastle?

Being in the area classified prone to flooding, what should be the min height of GF above the ground? What type of document will tell me about this?

Regards,
Malem

Flood prone land is much more difficult with regard to approval and construction.

The additional approval costs (and it all comes down to $$) is usally:
1. AHD Survey approx $1,200
2. Drainage Engineer approx $900
3. Strutctural Engineer (including flood certificate)- approx $500
4. Higher Council fees approx $500
5. Higher design/drafting fees approx $1,000
TOTAL BURDEN: approx $4,000

So, where it usually costs approx $6,000, you're looking at around $10,000 for the approvals due to flooding.

The additional construction costs is for the higher fnished floor level and materials that are flood-proof. Approximately $5,000 extra

To answer your question regarding what finished floor level Council will demand- Council's Hydraulic Engineer will provide a level (to the Australian Height Datum, which is basically true level above sea-level) that is suitable. We then basically use the AHD Survey to design the building as per the Engineer's directives and in accordane with those levels etc.

To answer your question regarding a builder in Newcastle, we do have one who builds for us there. I was actually in East Maitland today preparing a granny flat job so we do go there.

I hope this helps.

Brazen.

Hi Brazen and Laurieload,
Thanks for the info (I have obtained the doc on Section 94 for NCC).

So for the 2BR GF, we will be looking at around $100K. From previous postings, could I assume that it will be around $7K cheaper if we use weatherboard material? The existing house is weatherboard on brick, so I think if we can afford to go with the GF plan, we will use weatherboard to match.

We are getting the flood certificate with the purchase of the property (for basic info).

Brazen, I would like to be in touch with you regarding your local builder.

Regards
MKP

Hi Brazen and Laurieload,
Thanks for the info (I have obtained the doc on Section 94 for NCC).

So for the 2BR GF, we will be looking at around $100K. From previous postings, could I assume that it will be around $7K cheaper if we use weatherboard material? The existing house is weatherboard on brick, so I think if we can afford to go with the GF plan, we will use weatherboard to match.

We are getting the flood certificate with the purchase of the property (for basic info).

Brazen, I would like to be in touch with you regarding your local builder.

Regards
MKP

Yeap, now worries MKP. Brick is about 7k cheaper, yes.

Back