vet pleads for landlords to allow pets

Poor ol' Brucey is pushing **** uphill against that lot.

Dogs and cats - holy smokes - they aren't as bad as kids and wives in IPs, not by a long stretch....but why take a risk hey ??

Ban the lot I reckon.

If it has a kitchen - don't buy it, you'll just attract low paying high whinging women.

If it has a laundry - ditto.

If it has bedrooms - don't buy it, you'll just attract low paying delicate little dears who must be protected at all costs - your costs specifically.

Anything that is pet friendly is not Landlord friendly.

Haven't yet seen one investment grade property accept a pet yet.

If you're not into investment grade property, and simply wish to invest in property, then by all means - knock yourself out - bring on the zoo...

As my landlord insurance does not cover damage from pets, we will not be accepting them anytime soon.

And yes, I am aware of the the old chestnut about children causing more damage but they are covered in my policy.

Chilli Blue,

Not trying to change your mind at all but I can´t think of any damage a pet would cause that would make me lodge a claim under insurance

The worst I can think of is peeing on the carpets or digging up the garden. Kids can stain carpets too and they would not be covered under your landlord policy.

Landlord policies do not cover hard living, grotty tenants , stains , filth etc.

Dogs can make pretty impressive grooves into the bottom half of doors by scratching. Some dogs get bored and chew things like verandah posts, corners of cupboards etc. Some cats shred flyscreen.

Last house we had, the damage was inflicted by the owner *for* the pets. They smashed a window out so the dogs had an easy way to get in and out. And apparently the carpet stank to high heaven, but that was removed many months before we bought it (glass replaced too) so didn't get to experience that one.

I think the good vet should have a chat to our lizzie about replacing carpet after it's damaged. There is no such thing as 'replace a bit of carpet'.

"Generally a normal bond should cover any sort of damage a pet could possibly do, it is only going to be a scratch on the wall or replace a bit of carpet," he said

I think the good vet should have a chat to our lizzie about replacing carpet after it's damaged. There is no such thing as 'replace a bit of carpet'.

Haha - and I just had to sand and repaint the front door this morning ... the day of our 1st open home ... after hubby left the dog outside during a thunderstorm.

Since 2004 we have had 350+ tenants.
We permit pets in all of them.

In our property rules, pets are permitted, with conditions.
Should the owners not follow those conditions, they agree to remove the pet from the property.
In all these tenants, we have enforced this clause with only one tenant. The owner liked to own vicious dogs, which didn't do any property damage, but they frightened other tenants in our building. The first dog was removed, and without our knowledge, he replaced it with another. This was also removed. Finally the tenant moved.(this was 2 months ago)

Should a PM find damage during inspections, remove the pet.

Give me a couple with 2 dogs, and 3 cats over a family with 2 kids anyday.

I have two properties. Pets are allowed in one, and not in the other. They are allowed in the property with a fenced in back yard, but not in the property which has only a big mound and some trees between the house and a busy road.

Anything that is pet friendly is not Landlord friendly.

Haven't yet seen one investment grade property accept a pet yet.

Now come on Dazz, you know that's not true. As I recall, large sheds are your investment of choice and I've seen many a large shed with one or more dogs locked inside the gates.

.....well OK, if you regard some rabid, frothing at the mouth junkyard dog who eats rusty metal and old tyres and washes it all down with a slurp of battery acid, who'd take your arm clean orf with one chomp of his jaws and is affectionately known by his owner Vinnie the Greek, a hairy shouldered bikie, with a tag like Cujo as a "pet", then yes. :)

We had one lot of tenants (slightly greenie, hippy types - but a lovely couple) who decided their ducks (allowed and approved by us) needed to live upstairs because they were feeling the cold :eek:)

Apart from the "duck episode" the only issue we have had with a dog was that he did scratch the back door. We told the owner that she had the option of sanding, filling and repainting the door or we would do it and take $100 from her bond. She did it. Had she not done a good job, we would have taken the $100 and done it again, but she did a good job.

I would be less happy if we had carpeted properties, but being a warm climate, we rip up any carpet ASAP and get floors polished. Dogs don't damage polished floors like kids and parents can :rolleyes:.

Back