Victory over RE agent

I am not 100% if this is the right place to post this, I think there will be plenty of people who might apperciate. Sorry if it is a bit long.
I was looking to rent a new place recently and found a nice apartment in Ashfield, Sydney. I took an application, sent it back and Monday morning I got a call from the agent that I had been accepted. I then paid my $480 holding deposit.
I went to sign the lease and I asked the agent why the lease did not mention anything about the cat I had documented in my application.
"What cat?" was his vacant reponse.
"The one in the application you approved" I said
"Oh, missed that. (what was I thinking assuming he could read an application form) The building does not accept pets. We can try to apply through strata, which may take a week or two and cost $77" he said.
At this stage I had cleaners, boxes, removalists and tennants all scheduled for a move this weekend - so to say I was angry was an understatement.
The strata application was denied. So as any normal person would do, i asked the agent for my $480 back and I will be on my way.
"The owner wishes to keep the deposit" was his response. I am sure he does want to keep it - as I am 99% sure you have not told him of your incompetence of not being able to read my application properly and have simply told him that we have pulled the pin !! I also called his boss and he said "Well, I can see the issue from both party's point of vew". Really? REALLY?
Anyway, he kept ignoring my requests for a refund. So after many threats that I would go to the CTTT I went through with it last week and got my $480 and my $77 strata application fee back. He is paying by the end of the month.

It was a very satisfying day.

Nick

Fair enough that you got your money back, but I've got to wonder, why did you bring up the cat at that point in time?

If the cat is documented in the application, they're going to have trouble kicking you out if they realize it later because it was properly disclosed. At this point you're back to looking for a new appartment (which I imagine isn't entirely easy with pets).

PS. My dog says that cats should not allowed in any property other than the pound, but dogs are okay because dogs are cool! :D

To be honest...I was just being honest !!
Say I had moved in and strata found out, I see no reason why they could not kick me out. What does the RE agent have to do with it? Either cats are allowed or they are not. I cant see how me saying, "yes its all there in my application - and it seems to RE agent made a mistake" would change anything.

You have a great outcome.

In the future you may want to photocopy your application, so you have proof (if they deny it) you mention the cat.

You can be kicked out for having pets... Usually in these scenarios a member of the body corporate committee will live in the property and whinge until you're served a vacate notice due to a lease breach.

Better to do what you have done. Good job!

Real estate agents are dodgy and I can't wait to prove one so when I buy his property at auction for less than what I offered him 2 months ago (the maximum is now advertised 5-10% below my offer price). Failing that I could always complain about underquoting since all my offers were in writing.

i asked the agent for my $480 back and I will be on my way.
"The owner wishes to keep the deposit" was his response.
got my $480 and my $77 strata application fee back. He is paying by the end of the month.

Its nothing to do with the owner paying you back, the agent would have kept the $480 as their first weeks rent letting fee so they should be able to pay you back directly.

Back