Villa vs Townhouse - What's the difference?

What is the difference between a villa and a townhouse? My perception is that townhouse tend to build upwards whereas villas are just single storey homes.

And if there are tangible differences, do the costs of building them differ by much?

Yes and Yes.

TH may be more desirable to some people - separates the living areas from the bedrooms.

But older people (and those intending to move house often) will prefer everything being on the one level.

Plus older single storey villas are often cheaper, have more land value component and less shadowing of courtyards than some townhouse developments.

So what's the fundamental difference between a townhouse and a terrace, or villa and bungalow?

I'm guessing it's down to a lack of outside space, with the possible exception of a courtyard, though I've heard something about townhouses and villas being on a strata arrangement.

Thanks.

So what's the fundamental difference between a townhouse and a terrace, or villa and bungalow?

I'm guessing it's down to a lack of outside space, with the possible exception of a courtyard, though I've heard something about townhouses and villas being on a strata arrangement.

Thanks.

My personal view when someone says I have a villa or townhouse, it's the same thing where it could be single or double story and both will have a mini yard. We don't use the term terrace or bungalow here in Sydney metro or anywhere else I have been to within Australia. A Terrace to me is the courtyard area on a ground floor unit. Some agents may use the term as it may sound appealing and have people curious as to what it is.

The same with unit or apartment, it's the same deal.

Thanks.

I've seen terrace used for Victorian houses in Australia, but I suspect it's a more historic counterpart to the modern town house.

My personal view when someone says I have a villa or townhouse, it's the same thing where it could be single or double story and both will have a mini yard. We don't use the term terrace or bungalow here in Sydney metro or anywhere else I have been to within Australia. A Terrace to me is the courtyard area on a ground floor unit. Some agents may use the term as it may sound appealing and have people curious as to what it is.

The same with unit or apartment, it's the same deal.

Terrors
ouses are common in the inner city areas, inner east and out as far as Croydon, very few on the north Shore due to later development of these areas. Bungalow generally refers to post war Californian bungalows or post-federation era ie 1920's. you mustn't get around much Will if you haven't come across these styles. Other styles include art deco, maisonette etc.

Terminology varies between states NSW refer to villas (single storey multiple dwellings on one strata block) vs Qld duplex. Townhouses are modern 2 storey versions of villas.

My understanding is that townhouses tend to have a common wall with another dwelling. Villas seem to be detached dwellings and generally smaller than a regular house on a much smaller allotment of land.

My understanding of Terraced houses are ones with common walls. Similar to the Terraced houses in the UK. You might find about four of these houses under one roof so to speak.

Townhouses can have common walls too but I'm sure I've seen them detached as well.

I'm meeting a REA tomorrow and she seemed to make a distinction between strata units and villas. Maybe she means Torrens title Villas.

Surely there must be a builder here that can clarify this? ;)

Techie, it will come down to the zoning & the LEP which will permit whether you can build units, town houses, villas or houses. The controls will include the fsr, private open space, landscaping and parking requirements.

Either can have common walls or be stand alone as well as being strata or community titled (not TT as there will be common areas).

Back