WA - are you ready...?

i thought i'd review this.

So here it is. it's come to a bottleneck and here's some BOLD claims for you all.

1) Q1 2010 is going to see skilled labour shortages as the FHB homes get off the ground. the TOP FOUR WA builders (alone) are putting 9000 (that's nine thousand, not a typo) starts to ground Q1 2010. that the pace required for 27,000 homes pa. in the FIRST QUARTER. :eek:

labour shortage are evident already - plasterers and chippies the big ones.

2) 2 of the 4 current indemity insurers are shutting up shop Q1 2010. those without the capacity with the current remaining insurers will find themselves in a big, black, insurance hole. no insurance, no start. no start, no grant. i can see the TT specials already...

this was solved with the remaining two taking on the other two's liabilities.

3) lack of insurance + labour shortage = "$2 a brick" territory. as the cost to build a home skyrockets, so will the values of recently constructed homes to match their replacement value. anyone currently building, or have just built, will experience a growth in the intrinsic value to replace their home, with older homes following closely. values from valuers will have to be re-adjusted.

labour prices are rising now 6 months in - that took longer than i thought but it's there now. prices have a strict 3 or 6 month guarantee to them.

4) land releases are caught. new WAPC changes mean a lot of releases are headed back to the drawing board at great expense. by the time they're ready to release, the market will have moved and they can re-coup their costs.

still a bottleneck - although DHW are selling off a LOT of land through Satterley now, so the Northern Suburbs isn't as bottlenecked - but still prices are rising. It seems the only place to build something affordable in the South is Byford or Baldivis.

5) panic buying will begin. where it stops - i can't say. WA-ites have known this was building for a LONG time and there will have to be some level where banks won't lend past, otherwise, there'll be a run to figures like port hedland $2.5mil+, coastal metro $1.5mil+, anything with a view or water $1.5mil+....and on and on and on. Gorgon is the lit firecracker inside the warehouse full of fireworks of the public perception of the whole system here. forget fundamentals - just the "yes, we can" attitude here is enough to send reverberations to the universe.

this happened in early to late Feb - a lot of investors mainly jumping thre gun and securing dev propoerties at a premium and now can't move them OR develop them. just had one across my desk last week - to develop or sell would have been a zero-profit exercise. port hedland making another run on prices now.

6) secession?

i certainly bl**dy hope so - 1880 accord still stands.

And the headline today... "Perth House Prices Slashed to Sell" :)

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/house-prices-slashed-to-sell-20100610-y05n.html

All the while the "WA Jobless Rate Plummets Again".

In the suburbs I'm watching, I'm actually noticing property selling faster again after a slowdown over last 6 months... probably just the end of financial year rush?

The other day there was a picture of a restaurant owner crying out for staff.

Some recent headlines on WA Today below as well

All the signs point to Perth property market

June 2nd said:
Higher rents and the flow on to house prices are likely to see investors start to drive the Perth property market, according to a new study.

A report by Savills, which advises property investors, claims baby boomers are "back on board looking for quality housing stock" as the effects of the global financial crisis fade.

Savills analysis found the median house price at the end of last year was $480,000, higher than most other estimates, while it was $404,000 for units.

The "prestige property market pain" was almost over, as prices and demand recovered, but about half the sales in Perth were in the $400,000 to $750,000 bracket.

There were about 30,000 sales in the year to March, 21.5 per cent higher than the previous year.

Here are the people,where are the homes?

June 8th said:
The disconnect between numbers of West Australians and new homes has been further emphasised in a new survey.

A report by the Housing Industry Association, a lobby group for home builders, shows that while the state's population grew by 3.2 per cent in the last financial year, the numbers of new homes being approved plunged 14 per cent.

Falls of more than 50 per cent in some areas were not uncommon, with most of the large rises coming in areas with small poulations.

I spoke to RE agent in Mandurah yesterday, he mentioned that Seascapes is getting ugly, investors going to the wall. Also mentioned an oversupply everywhere the lower end is selling, but prices have to be realistic, in other words your giving it away.
Cheers, MTR

Yep heard Rob Druit this morning on 882's real estate hour talking about Mandurah.

Oversupplied

Good time to buy cos its cheaper but Mandurah will take a while to recover.

Hi Alex
Good time to buy... this is typical RE spin, don't get caught up with this c.... Why would you want to hold property which is negatively geared and no signs of growth for some time, maybe 2-5 years :eek:.

I would only invest in Perth market if you can add value.

Focus on areas in Australia where the market is rising, I understand this requires more work, however, chase the cycle it will minimise risk and pay off big time.

Cheers, MTR

Hi Alex
Good time to buy... this is typical RE spin, don't get caught up with this c.... Why would you want to hold property which is negatively geared and no signs of growth for some time, maybe 2-5 years :eek:.

Focus on areas in Australia where the market is rising, I understand this requires more work, however, chase the cycle it will minimise risk and pay off big time.

Cheers, MTR

i'm not buying in perth till end of 2011, early 2012.

i was just quoting rob. i have no opinions on it. just quoting

good onya Alex, I admire the fact that you seem so focused and sooo young and giving it a go.

By the way where do you walk your dogs?? I walk 'em at Forest Park....

Cheers, MTR

I agree, whatever works, if you are comfortable, don't have the time and have a good BA then that's great, different strokes for different folks.

I had fun purchasing in Melb, yes did require work but I really had a great RE agent on the ground who threw some deals my way and I also have the time to research.

As far as NSW goes I have found this difficult contracts etc suck, however I did find 1 suitable property which I purchased, I also contacted an execellent BA (PU) for another IP but unfortunately the deal fell over.

Cheers, MTR

good onya Alex, I admire the fact that you seem so focused and sooo young and giving it a go.

By the way where do you walk your dogs?? I walk 'em at Forest Park....

Cheers, MTR

lol, nah im not that young. im 38 soon, but feel/act young at heart. :)

Is Forrest Park the park in mount lawley, near the TAFE?? I often run there!!

I walk my doggies around Yokine reserve quite a bit! :)

Where are you situated again?

Thanks, yeah i'm determined, however I'm beginning to realise that you have to be very cautious and make sure your financially ready for your next IP. I was thinking 2011/2012 to buy number 3, cos I should have the equity by then. I'll keep 2012 as my goal but i'll make sure i can afford to hold the ip.

I was looking at my bank account today and realise my property is negatively geared by about $100 a week (before tax) I also have another loan for the stamp duty. So currently paying around $200 a week in repayments and stamp duty loan

Once the stamp duty loan is paid out in December I'll again begin saving and I think I'll wait till my rent increases a bit and I'm only out of pocket around the $50 a week (before tax) before buying again. I have also learnt that its not just the regular payments such as mortgage, pm fees, there are also repairs that are costing a bit too that i need to be mindful of. I've already had a couple of repairs, and also maintenance such as new alarm battery.

The important thing is... i have to be confident i will be able to hold all 3 properties when i buy #3. I'd like to save a bit more into my offset to help with expenses and SANF. I also may have to replace my aging 13 year old car at some stage in the near future if it dies or i have problems with it. I have had physio, dental, accountant, podiatrist, optomitrist bills this year. Which... looking back is the best thing that has happened to me because its re-inforced the fact that I need to be so careful with my money because there will be a number of expenses that will come up that you are not expecting.

This all needs to be taken into account when weighing up whether or not you can afford a new property. You dont know whats around the corner hey. Hmmm I might post this in another topic. I think a buffer is so important. I aim to get to the $25 K mark buffer in my offset account before I buy again. Goal is to get to $25 K by January 2012.

I think it's good for me to wait, limited equity left over after I'd pay deposit etc. But I cant actually keep still for too long, so I still keenly look at papers and re.com etc.

Might be a tad soon to contemplate yet and would limit my purchase price also.
M 2 IP's are negative by just over Kim's amount, the LOC and mtges include an amount of capitalised interest by the amount of my small mtge on my ppor (almost under $6k in a few days !)

Thought I ahd was, is it a good time to buy into the stock marget instead.

Using lOc funds, $40k would triple my current portfolio, but only increase my total loans by about 6%, LVR goes from 62 to 66%.... hmmm, sorry dont mean to side track....

y'know i've noticed lately a huge difference in prices between 3 and 4 bed older homes in some west-end suburbs like Doubleview, Woodlands, Scarborough, North Beach and the 'cheap' end of Floreat / Wembley Downs

I honestly think if you hold a property here and want to generate some growth, add a bedroom and a bathroom and a nice backyard - i reckon with a bit of snuff and some elbow grease you could generate over $100k equity.

just a thought - but it goes to show there's money anywhere.

front strata could lower your entry costs if you're not in there already.

I had fun purchasing in Melb, yes did require work but I really had a great RE agent on the ground who threw some deals my way and I also have the time to research.

I would like to do it this way. One would probably (certainly?) learn more looking at 100 properties on one's own, negotiating the deal, etc, as opposed to engaging a BA to do the leg work.

But yes, availability of time is the issue.

y'know i've noticed lately a huge difference in prices between 3 and 4 bed older homes in some west-end suburbs like Doubleview, Woodlands, Scarborough, North Beach and the 'cheap' end of Floreat / Wembley Downs

I honestly think if you hold a property here and want to generate some growth, add a bedroom and a bathroom and a nice backyard - i reckon with a bit of snuff and some elbow grease you could generate over $100k equity.

just a thought - but it goes to show there's money anywhere.

front strata could lower your entry costs if you're not in there already.

Hi Aaron
interesting, I think you are really on to something, those areas may be just on the mark. I have been looking at this myself the only thing turning me off is entry level high and you need to pick these up at bargain price. If reasonable profit to be made I would like to turn over a couple of these pa for cashflow.

As you mentioned though look at a strata to reduce costs, wander if you still get to make 20%+ plus profit with this type of property.

Cheers, MTR

biggest issue is FINDING a front strata - lots of competition for them and they're quite rare.

still, if the yields are right (traditionally very low yielding suburbs) i reckon you could nearly bring these up to neutral, maybe make them neutral after depreciation.

even some southern suburbs like Mosman Park etc might be a good bet.

but dreams are one thing, fronting the cash is another.

Was down at the deli today and perused the paper as I hadn't read one for a bit over the break

These two articles stood out..

Perth CBD set for office space shortage

1773845690.jpg

Perth looks set to retain its title as Australia's most expensive city for office space in 2011 amid forecasts of another looming shortage of premium properties as the resources sector taps the new boom.

Industry experts say that office developments due for completion over the next two years are mostly leased and further projects have been stalled by difficulties in securing bank finance.

Knight Frank's State director of asset services, Ian Edwards, forecast strong demand for office space in 2011 and a likely "serious shortage by halfway through 2012".

Knight Frank expects the CBD office vacancy rate, estimated at 6.25 per cent last month, to be less than 2 per cent by the end of 2011.

"Even if you start a major building now, it will take three to four years to complete and we're going to see some rather awful rental spikes occurring," Mr Edwards said.

"It's going to be very unpleasant for tenants.

"It wouldn't surprise me if we see rents in Perth at $1300 or $1400 per square metre in 2013, which is silly and totally unsustainable but it's likely because there's a lot of demand and no new supply."

CB Richard Ellis puts the current office vacancy rate at 7 to 8 per cent but expects it to fall to about 5 per cent next year.

"There's a lot of activity relating to oil and gas and also base metals, said the firm's director of office services, Lachlan Lewis.

"All the big players are still active and a lot of the Gorgon work is still being rolled out."

Cont...

Miners want 50 luxury homes

38636854.jpg

Real estate agency Paxton Hoad is hunting 50 luxury rental properties for mining executives about to relocate to Perth within weeks as the resource boom gathers pace.

It puts more pressure on the luxury rental market, helping to boost rents to a record high of up to $4000 a week.

A home on The Avenue in Nedlands is believed to have set a record - available for $3700 to $4000 a week, about 10 times the $370 median in WA.

The total annual rent for the five-bedroom, six-bathroom property is $208,000 and it requires a $16,000 bond.

The rent record comes after claims from real estate agents that a rise in corporate demand this year had boosted rents in the top end of town.

Some agents believed luxury properties were now renting by as much as 25 per cent more than they were a year ago.

The increase has come despite stagnant conditions in the mid and entry-level rental markets, and the relatively sluggish sales market.

Paxton Hoad principal Peter Lawrance said the order for 50 luxury rental properties was one of its biggest corporate contracts so far.

Mr Lawrance confirmed a resource company required the homes and they would be needed by the end of January for up to two years.

He would not reveal the name of the mining company or the relocation agent brokering the deal.

Cont...

Perth's housing prices have slumped by 3 per cent, making it the worst performing capital city in the country, according to the final data released for 2010.

The median house price has dropped to $460,000 over the three months leading to November, but remains above Brisbane and Adelaide, which also slumped but by a smaller margin, according to the RP Data-Rismark survey.

They are talking 10% drops as a minimum next year

The predictions were way off Im afraid, and anyone buying into this market now needs their head read IMO.

Ironic that a state which exemplifies housing shortages, immigrant booms, rising wages, low unemployment and all the other positive property spruiking has been a terrible performer eh?

Back