Want another reason to invest?...

Thing is Bayview, the majority of prop investors only own 1 property.. about 76% according to the ABS. Perhaps supporting the "amateurish" claim.. who cares about the play on words anyway..

The thing that worries me is W2BW thinking property consistently doubles every 7-10yrs..:rolleyes:

Yeah, probably right. I just brought up amateurish as it seemed to be the pivotal problem in the argument - the use of the word.

As for property doubling every 7-10 years; this is what I've observed in my life so far.

So, that's anecdotal. I'm happy to go with it.

I think the historic figures support it.

Of course; that stat refers to an average over the historical period assessed.

Please, there is no need for you to be worrying about me VB.

I've got myself sorted and am well on my way to financial indipendance and freedom.

Perhaps now more-so than ever with these new business ventures and my portfolio continuing to grow beyond standard 7%pa in these turbulent times.

My properties in NT all grew by approximately 15% last year and from Jan to May a further 5% across the board so its looking quite good for me, only another 80% to go... lol it doesn't matter if my picks do not double in 7 years, as long as they perform better than any other asset I have the ability to invest in.

Please just work on your own investing.

Thing is Bayview, the majority of prop investors only own 1 property.. about 76% according to the ABS. Perhaps supporting the "amateurish" claim.. who cares about the play on words anyway..

The thing that worries me is W2BW thinking property consistently doubles every 7-10yrs..:rolleyes:

What I'm basically saying is, how can one expect to be financially indipendant when they didn't do anything to better their financial position?

Are you suggesting this is a smart thing to do?

The person in question should be wealthy enough to live a comfortable retirement?

What makes you think everyone wants to be financially independant when they are old?

Some people want to live today. Some people want to raise children, some people want to travel, others might want to surf all day. Just because YOU want to be wealthy when your 70, doesn't mean everyone else does as well.

Some people dont care for driving a BMW or living in a double story house..

Those people could laugh at you thinking "look at this bloke, he purchased 10 investment properties, he was a tight *** all his life, and watched his life pass by" Whilst these old ladies may have raised a family, travelled, ate out and enjoyed life and look back satisfied.

Horses for courses, choose your own adventure.

Yes you do, and what you think is a adventure, may not be a adventure for others.

I know many people who struggle from pay to pay and I choose not to be one of them, I also know how a simple mindset change can transform these people into wealthy individuals because I started with less than most and have performed a complete turnaround.

Simple mindset? Investing doesn't take a simple mind set, it takes sacrifice and effort. These people might not be interested in doing that, hoping their life will be better in 20 years time.

Absolute worst case? I end up with the same thing I started with but a hell of alot more pride.

Enough said.

Absolute worst case? You waste 20 years of your prime life, miss out on life experience, and you dont get the dream retirement your hoping for.

I'm sure these old ladies look back at their life, and are probably proud of families they raised.. success isn't measured by the $$$ you accumulate during your lifetime..

CRC... I'm a very happy person and have created a fantastic life, the life I've always wanted to lead in all aspects.

I can afford most things many others cannot, I'm also purchasing time, so when others are hard at work I'm doing whatever I like, just how I want it. it sounds as though you may not be leading the life you truly want? but its not up to me to judge you, you live the life you want and most importantly, you must be happy above all else.

All the best on your life journey, the most important journey of all.

Goodbye.

want2bewealthy, I'm not saying you are not living the life you want, I'm saying that for you to look "down" at someone thinking what they are doing is wrong... not everyone is in the position to build business's like you, or buy 5 IP's like you... so to think just because those people rely on super, have a wrong mindset, is wrong.

I do believe in investing, and invest on a regular basis.. I have a IP, and am building up a share portfolio... but my situation allows for it, and I want to do it, and am happy to sacrifice some things, but others may not.. and this doesn't make them 'worse' than someone like you or I.

Good point CRC.

Thank you for clarifying.

I may have been a little 'nasty' and I apologise.

want2bewealthy, I'm not saying you are not living the life you want, I'm saying that for you to look "down" at someone thinking what they are doing is wrong... not everyone is in the position to build business's like you, or buy 5 IP's like you... so to think just because those people rely on super, have a wrong mindset, is wrong.

I do believe in investing, and invest on a regular basis.. I have a IP, and am building up a share portfolio... but my situation allows for it, and I want to do it, and am happy to sacrifice some things, but others may not.. and this doesn't make them 'worse' than someone like you or I.

oh great - now the topic has degraded into dictionary definitions...i'm gone.

Bayview...how do you dabble in property by accident....?

Bluecard, I think the thread started to deteriorate when you decided to have a sook about potentially falling to a class of people described as 'amateurs' all the while articulating characteristics of amateurs and defending them.

But I'm getting bored of this. Yep, you don't follow 'theories of economics' but you're not an amateur and, by the way, the adjective 'amateur' is a derogatory term.

I agree - this is a site is strictly for professional investors and unless you have some letters after your name I don't think you should even be able to read these posts. Good grief - some of these poor folk may make an uneducated investment and sue us! Pity is all I can adorn them with

Awww, come on Ausprop. Bluecard and I are having lots of fun!

By the looks of things, W2BW is actually the only one to have mastered his zen!

Kudos to him for having taken a few digs in this thread with such dignity. I'm sure his karma will make sure he doesn't end up like the two old ladies.;)

Bluecard, I think the thread started to deteriorate when you decided to have a sook about potentially falling to a class of people described as 'amateurs' all the while articulating characteristics of amateurs and defending them.

But I'm getting bored of this. Yep, you don't follow 'theories of economics' but you're not an amateur and, by the way, the adjective 'amateur' is a derogatory term.

well then - it's clear we're arguing the same point.

and i'll sook all i want - but let me make it REALLY clear i dont give rat's hoohah what ANYONE "classes" me as.

I didn't say dabbling in property by accident, I said dabbling in property as an investment by accident.

So, they are people who have property, but were not specifically intending to use it for investing purposes and ended up doing it.

A few examples:

1. you get left a house in a will, decide to rent it until you decide what to do with it.

2. move out of town for work and rent out the house while you're away.

3. buy a holiday house, and decide later to get a bit of holiday letting money because the family isn't using it.

What about an amateur tennis player or golfer? These are not derogatory terms. Or did you only mean in relation to investing?

I didn't say dabbling in property by accident, I said dabbling in property as an investment by accident.

So, they are people who have property, but were not specifically intending to use it for investing purposes and ended up doing it.

A few examples:

1. you get left a house in a will, decide to rent it until you decide what to do with it.

2. move out of town for work and rent out the house while you're away.

3. buy a holiday house, and decide later to get a bit of holiday letting money because the family isn't using it.

ah okay - i misunderstood. i was wondering how you could buy a property by accident! cheers.

What about an amateur tennis player or golfer? These are not derogatory terms. Or did you only mean in relation to investing?

Wylie, if you see my previous posts this was my point, i.e, that the term amateur need not be interpreted as derogatory but others didn't agree. Each to their own.

I guess what some took to heart was my assertion that property investment should not be viewed with a myopic frame of reference as the only 'safe' form of investments over others, such as, in this case, super. The article I quoted suggested that property investment is often a default investment for 'amateur' investors and argued that property investors are not as market sensitive as other 'professional' investors thus demonstrating my point that some investors put a considerable amount of faith in property which potentiallycould be unwarranted.

But, I think this thread has been done to death now so I won't be posting anymore on this thread.

I'm not sure if I understand that Bayview. :D Care to elaborate?

It's a part of a female's anatomy used for the procurement of money/goods/assets/exhusbands fortunes/other females' husbands fortunes.

Of course, the term was coined back in the days when said anatomical region was covered in hair. Nowadays, it may or may not be.

Back