warning old electrical wiring

just thought i would point out a fact on old electrical wiring in houses.

It was common practice in NZ decades ago to install TRS wiring into property's. This is a type of electrical cable. The problem being nowadays the insulation is extremely brittle and if you have it you need to rewire the entire house if discovered.

this leads me to the main reason i brought it up. Alot of people Reno houses of this era due to wooden floor etc. So be on the look out for the wiring before you buy! Otherwise you could discover it during the reno and be up for several thousand to rewire.

I would advise getting a professional or an electrician to have a look and inform you of wether you have this wiring if you are to purchase an old house.

WHITT
thanks but its to late I got one last november my electrician told me never buy a house with the old ceramic fuses as this type of house will need a rewire so take into account 5k for a rewire.

Not all houses with ceramic fuses need rewiring. It just means that the wiring isnt real new. Circuit breakers have been common in Australia for app. the past 15-20 years. For older houses , getting an electrical inspection is a smart move.

In fact ive thought about adding this service to my existing business as im interested in property and also an electrician (admittedly, in a previous life but still hold my contractors licence)

By the way, what does TRS stand for in NZ? We have TPS here and the old rubber cable and before that the cotton covered black rubber that should never be disturbed if found in an old house.

Back