Washing Machine / dryer in one

Following on from the bath / shower post , one option we have is putting in a combined washing machine / dryer.

This is more expensive than seperate units , but is obviously smaller.

Has any one had one ?

How did you find it ( to use ....) ?

See Change

Hi SC,

Haven't actually used one, but someone was saying there is often a disparity between the load capabilites in "wasing mode" and "drying mode" :confused: Something like machine is able to handle more load as washer than dryer or vice versa....

Cheers,

The Y-man

I had one of these over 20 years ago in the UK. I don't know how different they are to the models available today however I've always been surprised that the washer/dryer in one has not been available in Australia. We used to leave our flat with the washing on to come back to the drying done.

SC, friends had one about 7 years ago, and felt it was slower and smaller load wise. However, they might have evolved. Maybe you could check the local library's copies of Choice magazine. I used to have a lot of respect for their tests and reviews. Check their energy usage, cycle time, and life expectancy.

When I was renting when young, one of the first things I wanted and bought was a large washing machine. I hated having to do 3 or 4 loads on a Sat morning in a silly little twin tub. I think a lot of renters now have double or queen sized beds, which makes a larger washing machine more desirable for those large sheets and doonah covers.

We have actually handled the electrical and energy label approval for some for the Australian and New Zealand market and use one in our office area.

They work really well however, the load capacity for washing and drying is different such as 7 kg washing load vs 3 kg drying load. But you must remember that 7 kg is a lot of washing.

To put this in perspective, previously in our own home we had a commercial speed queen top load washer and when we changed to a front loader noticed that the actual load capacity was greater with the front loader.

Hope this is of help. :)

Have just bought one which was already in a small Apt I bought. Seems OK but of course slower and less flexible, but maybe more convenient as you chuck in your grubby stuff and when you get home it's all clean AND dry. If you have space, hang a separate drier up but the one I have is fine. Not sure about Energy ratings.

I have a combined washer dryer which I bought about 7 years ago. Ariston.

The dryer component is not like your normal drier.

It is a condenser drier and takes a lot longer than a normal drier. I personally would not buy one of these again, in saying that though technology has evolved a lot since I purchased this one and the driers may be much better.

Probably best to check to see if they have a drying rate so you know how long it takes to dry a 4kg load.

You are all right, the loads are different. 7kg wash, 5kg drier loads.

They are great space savers, particulalry if you donot have room for a large laundry.

Cheers
BUNDY

The amazing washer/dryer/shrinker.

We lived in hotels/ managed apartments for a number of years.

Many of them had these amazing machines.

They are good on water use.

HOWEVER. They heat up to the crystalisation point of carbon and can shrink ANYTHING.

I may have been getting fatter, but all my clothes shrank because of these things - they get about 80 degrees C or so inside..

also they can get dye to come out of even the oldest of clothes, and run them into other clothes.

Other than that, they are OK.

I think they might have actually washed the clothes, but it was hard to tell, they ended up so small.

JoannaK said:
what happens if the dryer bit of the machine breaks, does that mean that you can't use it to wash as well?

That is one of my first thoughts to JK

Check out choice online, I think they may a report on just such a creature.

I understand that they take AEONS to do a load, 'prolly why our friend up there used to leave the house while it was doing the wash :D

I actually have an Ariston at the moment and it gives no end of trouble. t is increadibly unreliable and their warantly division is useless. We have had 3 motherboards and a door handle replaced in six months. At one time it took them 8 weeks to get the part so the thing would work!!!!

Davids

We have had a Bendix washer/dryer in one of our IP' since 1996 & have only had one drama with it. It cost a fair bit to repair but certainly far less than a new one.
I have never used it but we have never had any complaints from the tenants.
cheers
blossomoz

alwayscurious said:
I may have been getting fatter, but all my clothes shrank because of these things - they get about 80 degrees C or so inside..
Actually the allowable limit for AS/NZS is 130 degrees C and many of them run very close to this limit.

alwayscurious said:
We lived in hotels/ managed apartments for a number of years.

Many of them had these amazing machines.

They are good on water use.

HOWEVER. They heat up to the crystalisation point of carbon and can shrink ANYTHING.

also they can get dye to come out of even the oldest of clothes, and run them into other clothes.

Other than that, they are OK.

I think they might have actually washed the clothes, but it was hard to tell, they ended up so small.

That was my experience too. I had one in a serviced apartment I stayed at in the UK last year. I almost melted the zipper on a favourite jacket. I think I made it 'dry' it several times and I couldn't open the door on it until it was finished wrecking it (then again, I'm an idiot when it comes to things other than computers mnhey).

I think the concept sounds great. If the technology has moved on then this would be a good thing.

I have Bendix Duomatiic, about 6 years old. Never had any problems with it (touch wood). The capacity is 5 kg washing, 3.5 drying, which is rather small, especially if you have a family. Since it is a front-loader, it is very economical with water. It has 2 drying settings - warm and hot. On the hot setting it would take you anywhere between 30 to 60 minutes, sometimes longer, to dry a load, depending on how big it is and how thick the fabric is. But I don't care about the time, I just set it up before going to bed and take it out in the morning. I bought it since I am renting and don't want to be bothered with fixing the wall brackets for a dryer every time I move. I also like the condenser dryer, since it doesn't produce the humidity that normal dryers do. If you have your washer-dryer installed in a bathroom, you will appreciate this in summer.

Nic

There was one where I was renting a one bedroom unit about 7 or 8 years ago. I loved the ability to start a load of washing and when I came home it was washed & dried.

Where space is limited it is obviously useful. Even otherwise, I prefer the idea of a single machine for that wonderful convenience.

If you don't want to use the drying capability, then it is simply disabled and the machine does only the wash cycle. It is a horizontal spin so that makes it preferable too.

My laundry requirements were small & it suited the job. It may not suit a family.

regards,

we have a miele washer/dryer. it is trie what everyone has said about small load capacity for drying. however, it gives a much better wash than our enormous 10kg LG washer (cost more than the miele too!!). Especially the case for really filthy washing like baby wondersuits with dried banana and avocado on. and my partner's renno clothes with all manner of grot and grime on them. The other thing i noticed about the miele washer/dryer is that is takes longer to dry than a regular dryer but clothes don't get wrecked like they do in a regular dryer.

Back