water efficiency of toilets

Hi Guys,

We need to comply with the SEQ water efficiency standards to charge tenants for water consumption and we have installed water restricting washers to the taps and showers (9 l/min) but how do you know if the dual flush toilets meet the standard ie 6.5 l full flush/3.5 l half flush?

I read on the Caroma website that the 6.5/3.5 3A standard was introduced in 1993. Can you just assume that all dual flush toilets in houses built after 1993 comply?

Cheers,

Bazza

Bazza,

Can't help you with the water effiency but I do believe you have to get an "water audit" done by a lic plumber in order to charge the tennant the water rates in QLD. I know that this is what we were told - should cost about $50 and they will tell you if it meets the standard.

Also note that you should check out the water rebate scheme on the QLD Gov website as you will be entitled to a rebate on certain items.

Bye,

If the toilet was installed after 93 it will most likely be a 6/3 3 * WELS rated product. If it was installed in the last 2 years it could be 4.5/3 or 6/3. Either way both comply. As far as I am aware the max flush on a dual flush toilet is 6/3.

There should be a marking on towards the back of the pan stating 6l or 4.5l

Anyhoo both will comply as all you need is dual flush.
Your tapware will also need to be 3* or more so it will need a flow restrictor if they dont have them. Best to get a 'waterwise' plumber in and they will do all the tapware and showers

Thanks guys for your advice. I thought that any dual flush toilet would be compliant.

Unfortunately, the Home Water Wise service has been canned. I contacted the RTA and you don't need an Audit (although the PMs will say you do) - a receipt for the water efficient devices is enough to prove you have installed them.

Cheers,

Bazza

Back