Water meter question

We have a triplex in NSW that is neither strata'd nor has separate water meters. If we install water meters our council who is the water authority will not read them as the property is Torrens title.

Can I have my agent take the meter readings if we separately meter the units and charge the tenants?

We have a triplex in NSW that is neither strata'd nor has separate water meters. If we install water meters our council who is the water authority will not read them as the property is Torrens title.

Can I have my agent take the meter readings if we separately meter the units and charge the tenants?

where about in nsw are you? In Sydney if you have separate meters you would have to known as a strata or rated as dual/tri occupancy. If you you are rated as single dwelling you will be only allowed on water meter but you could install check meters.

Last edited:
If in NSW as long as the inside water restrictors are in place on the required taps the answer is yes you can ask your agent, I do it for one off my landlords now.

If you have one supply servicing the three units but are able to turn off water to each unit individually (control valves or stop cocks) have a plumber install separate meters and have each read.

Note that the house must be water efficient ie showers, taps, toilets etc to charge the tenants.

Forward a complete copy of the water bill and each units use/ meter reading.

Back