Water service concession for senior tenant ..

Hi,

I have a mate who is renting out an IP to a senior tenant and he is enjoying seniors concession on the Sewer/Water service charges as well (He is not a senior).

I am also renting out an IP to a senior tenant but I currently don't get the discount though. So I was thinking of calling up the water company and asking for a concession to be applied; but I am not so sure if I am eligible just because my tenant is.

Am I entitled to a concession discount because the sewerage/water service charges are for a senior tenant ?

Thanks !

Hi Bennido,

Is your property in VIC and seperately metered? If so the water usage should be in the tenants name and they are the ones who should be receiving the concession. If the property is not seperately metered and so you need to pay the water usage then no, a seniors consession shouldn't be applied as you yourself are not eligible. Of course, call SEW to check as everyone there will tell you something different and you might get lucky!!!!

Hi Sez,

Yes my property is in country VIC.

It has a separate meter and the usage is billed to the tenant; while the sewerage/service charges are billed to me (as the landlord).

So in this case, I am not entitled to the concession I guess ?

Hi Bennido,

No (unfortunately), as a general rule you are not as it is your portion of responsibility and so you would only receive a concession if you yourself were entitled to it. As I said though, can't hurt to call the water company as you may get someone who will put the concession on for you!

The tenant would be receiving a concession on their usage though :).

Back