"Water" suburbs of Brisbanes north-east

Hi

What's the opinion of the Brighton/Sandgate/Deagon/Shorncliffe areas and how is it perceived compared to Redcliffe area?

Seems to have reasonable median prices.

CHEERS

Mitch.mia,
As someone who lives in Sandgate, area has undergone a big transformation over the past few years. Purchased PPOR 4 years ago - rateable value on 990 sm $60k now $172k but then again the block is twice the size of the average blocks in the area - most 415-600sm.
At the moment nearly every street has a reno - not a makeover but reno (lift or extend). I watch prices regularly & have noticed a softening in prices & clearance rates have slowed. I believe that compared to the southside of the bay (manly,lota,etc) the area offers good buying for the long term.(Price wise the area is probably 4-5 years behind the southside but then the council has been more proactive with beautifican of the foreshore etc there). Still its a hidden treasure in many ways.

Young families have moved into the area as the older working class diehards pass away or move to retirement homes. The areas still have a working class feel but that is slowly changing & will continue to change over the next 10 years. Its a relaxed atmosphere with facilities close at hand - a great place to bring up kids.
Redcliffe has leaped ahead in the past 12 months - for me the downside of Redcliffe is the lack of a train service & that bloody bridge during peak hour.The council is very proactive & this has resulted in local businessl developing the shopping precinct.

Any reason why youre interested in this part of town?

Sandy

Hi Sandy

Thanks for some of the inside information on this area :)
I am not too familiar with this area but learning fast.

Most of my research points to this area as a great opportunity and I truly believe that you can't go wrong seaside, especially if all the right indicators are there.

What do you think of Brighton and Deagon compared to Sandgate and Shorncliffe in terms of living there?

I agree with you on Redcliffe in terms of the attractiveness now that the council there are proactive with developing the foreshore. This is another area with enormous potential I think.

Cheers

I went up to Brighton the other week, and for an area to live in, it seemed VERY nice.
I personnaly think it will do very well for quite a while yet.

Mitch,
I dont want to put any noses out of joint but I'm sure the census & other statistical data would show that Deagon is an old working class suburb. It has felt the flow on effect of price increases from Sandgate & S'cliffe. Cant verify but suggest an older population base & an above average no. of rentals. Short term has the potential for further price increases but there is the danger it may become overpriced & represent poor long term value.
Brighton is probably not far off a peak. It will be interesting to see what is on the market in coming months as the bulk of stock for the past 3-4 months has been at Brighton. Turnover in Sandgate & S'cliffe has been good but the real quality has already been snapped up by PPOR purchasers or renovated & resold.
Long term S'cliffe & Sandgate will benefit most from any further price increases with aflow on to Brighton & to a lessor extent Deagon.
Basically its down to what investment criteria you wish to follow - capital gain or regular immediate cashflow.

Regards

Sandy

Thanks for the advice Sandy.

Certainly the capital growth wagon is the one I intend to stay on for the long term.
Are you suggesting the quality has already been snapped up and the rest aren't worth considering?

What about rentals around the area? Agents don't seem to be listing too many on the net.
Need to call some for more info me thinks.

cheers

Mitch,
The local agents generally dont advertise much in the shop window - 1/2 doz rentals at most. 5 years ago was renting close to where I brought - rent in 1996 for 2 bedrooms averaged about $150 a week. My wife checked out a few ( not great quality - some she wasnt even game to put the key in the door) when we left had risen to $175/week. The next tenants started at $185-195/week in '99. Rents I believe are around $225-$250/week. Did notice one at $475/week but this property was renovated about a year ago & is a stones throw to the bay.
There are a few decent properties about but its all about numbers & if they stack up.

Regards

Sandy

Back