water tanks - Qld new homes

Hi all

The builder we want to build our IP through is quoting us $7.7k to provide and install a slimline water tank as per the State Govt requirements. I think this is very overpriced (especially as we can get tanks for pretty much cost price) and we have suggested different options to the builder to reduce this cost i.e. we provide the tank, we get a round tank in lieu of the slim line (space isn't an issue) but keep getting reasons back as to why we can only do the option quoted - such as round tanks are taking 30+ weeks to deliver??.

My question is - must water tanks be installed and plumbed by the builder or is this something we can arrange for after hand over?

I've searched the NRW and relevant Council websites but can't seem to find the answer.

Thanks

Brays

Hi Brays,

Who's your builder? You can PM me if you like. :)

Watertanks must be installed by a licensed plumber. If it's in the building contract, then the builder probably has to have it installed. You can do it after the fact, but I think it would be easier if you're plumbing the tank to inside the house, to get the plumbing done at frame stage.

A slimline tank is way more pricey than a non-slimline one. The "it will take 30 weeks to get a tank delivered" is obviously crap. The $7.7k would include the builder's margin. Get them to give you a break down in what the 7.7k covers... ;)

We worked with our builder to get a tank installed, and a 6000L round tank only cost about $2800 fully installed with all the modcons. The plumbing to the toilets and the backup mains connection to the tank cost about $1200. Our builder wasn't that interested (this was late 2005), and it was our responsibility to get the right size and right bits, and their plumber would hook it up to the toilets and backyard tap, etc.

HTH,

-- MJ.

My 5000 litre slimline ordered late October2006 arrived mid april2007.to the gold coast
cost about $2300 .
installation and pump about $900.
new houses need to meet new plumbing requirements.eg to laundry etc

Hi.

My tanks costed similar, $6800 put they are now $7700 as well. It made me so mad to be having to pay so much.

But considering it will be linked to all the toilets and laundry and outside tap I am happy because I know that I won't be running out of water.

Some places are doing it cheaper, I think tamawood is the high 5k's low 6ks, but that is not for a slim line, and I know some estates require slim lines under the covenants.

It is just a pity that we aren't able to access the rebate like other people installing them into existing houses.

shop around for tank prices guys... we have been arranging tanks for our clients and 7.7k is ridiculously high.

the 30week time frame is fairly correct, unless you buy one that is in stock and in the yard the day you order it.

on of the girls in our office just paid $1685 for a 3000L slimline with the usual attachments. that price is uninstalled (she's doing it herself) however installation was only couple of hundred dollars.

Qtank at Brendale are just starting up - they still have the time delay issue at the moment but the prices are very good...not doing slimline just yet though. Call Toby on 07 3881 0208 or [FONT=&quot]0419 685 388. Another option is going to Clarks direct, their prices were good also - still with delays though...dont have their number handy

It sounds like the builders are putting a large markup on the tanks...
[/FONT]

I was under the impression that and i'll quote from my builders add,

"Be aware, state and Government Legislated all building applications lodged after July 1 are to include a rainwater system."

BB

yeah that's correct...doesn't mean that you have to buy it from the builder though. i know some builders won't let the client source their own materials etc but a lot do, builders aren't getting much in the way of trade discounts at the moment on tanks so consumers can often do it cheaper.

yeah that's correct...doesn't mean that you have to buy it from the builder though. i know some builders won't let the client source their own materials etc but a lot do, builders aren't getting much in the way of trade discounts at the moment on tanks so consumers can often do it cheaper.

So all of the above poster's are "Choosing" to have a tank installed, or is it part of the covenant for the estate that you must.?

BB

sorry, should have made myself more clear - having one of those days.

tanks are being made compulsory - you can't get out of that, what i meant was that for all these people being charged huge amounts for tanks, an alternative may be to source the tank yourself save the extra money for other stuff and just have the builder add a couple of bits of extra pipe (to where the tank will sit) during the plumbing phases of the construction...

some builders will not allow this, they will want to provide the tank etc themselves - they can add their margins onto it then and make some dosh - i have no problem with that, only that i know it can be done cheaper if the builder allows you to source and supply items yourself.

cheers
UC:D

And I understand that, but if they arent required on new build until after July 1, and if the dollars are an issue now, why do it?

Get one later when you could afford it.

BB

Unfortunately the Shire in which we are building is one of the ones where the water tanks were mandatory from Jan 07. We are now able to supply the tank ourselves, but it would only save us around $1k - seems the biggest mark-up is in the installation etc, not the actual tank.

still sounds really high...

if the builder will allow you to install yourself, PM me and i'll give you the details of a plumber that will install for a hell of a lot less...assuming your doing the IP in or around Bris.

if you're stuck to that figure with the builder then so be it, but yes there is an enormous markup there considering full installation is only a small slab of concrete and a few extra feet of PVC piping...(i know there's more to it - exaggeration for effect.).

cheers

Can be worse, in Rocky the number being put around for a rainwater tank install is $8110, from July 1.

Glad we don't need one

BB

We have just installed a 22,000 litre underground concrete tank for around $10,000- holes dug, installed and plumbed to our new house. We have it set up so that we flick a switch and the whole house goes onto rainwater (if it ever rains, that is!)
Susan

I also got a fresh qoute on underground 22T concrete monster of $7.8K. all included. They come, dig, put a pot in the hole and blow the dust. lanscaping is not included. Looks reasonable to me. And yes, it has a drivable lid , so you can drive on top. Company - quality tanks.

January 1st in my council.

In new homes the tanks have to be plumbed to all laundry taps and all toilets so a bit more work than a few plastic pipes it has to be done from the very beginning.

It is different than just putting in your own tank in an existing home.

actually it is a lot simpler than you realise... when the trenches are dug and plumbing is laid pre-slab, there is a few extra feet of pipe laid near the cold water connection with the tank to feed the separate lines running to the laundry and toilets. the tank permanently supplies those lines - with a trickle top-up from the mains so the tank doesn't run dry.

this helps explain it better - its not Brisbane/PRSC but the concepts are the same
http://www.wsud.org/downloads/Planning%20Guide%20&%20PN's/04-Rainwater%20tanks.pdf

You can also have a mains diverter in place at the connection point should there be power issues like those mentioned below. Trickle top feeders can be float and mains fed as opposed to pumped as well.

Last edited:
actually it is a lot simpler than you realise... when the trenches are dug and plumbing is laid pre-slab, there is a few extra feet of pipe laid near the cold water connection with the tank to feed the separate lines running to the laundry and toilets. the tank permanently supplies those lines - with a trickle top-up from the mains so the tank doesn't run dry.

Tank top up systems are baaaaad. What if the power fails and the pump can't top up the tank?

Bluescope had a mains top-up kit at one point, which was discontinued in favour of a Rainbank.

http://www.davey.com.au/rainbank/

The Rainbank has a connection to town water and the tank. When the Rainbank has no power, or if the tank is dry, goes into bypass, where town water is used.

So if you have a power failure you can still flush your toilets. :)

-- MJ.

Im currently going through the same thing with my builder and he has agreed to plumb to the walls and I can supply and fit the tanks. Reduced costs dramaticlly.

Wayne

Back