Waterfront outer Sydney suburbs

Dear forum,
A relative (retired couple) from Adelaide is moving to Sydney and wish to buy a waterfront house. With budget is in the 1M+ they hope they could find something about 40 ish mins drive from CBD. It will be their ppor not a weekender. Any ideas if such a thing exists and if so suggestion of which suburbs they should be looking at would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks very much.

Dear forum,
A relative (retired couple) from Adelaide is moving to Sydney and wish to buy a waterfront house. With budget is in the 1M+ they hope they could find something about 40 ish mins drive from CBD. It will be their ppor not a weekender. Any ideas if such a thing exists and if so suggestion of which suburbs they should be looking at would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks very much.

Open Google Maps, turn it on to satellite view, follow the rivers.

You might be able to get something out around Penrith for money like that? Not really my area of expertise.

On a good day, going the right way, at the right time, that's a 50-60 min drive to the city.

Oyster Bay (on Georges River) would be 40 mins off peak by car to the CBD. You'd be looking for 1.5+ though and access not great, lots of stairs typically so not great for retirees.

McCarr's Creek would have something under 2. Not sure how far under and occasionally I'll see something in the high 1's in pittwater proper , but while these will be waterfront , they will be at the head of one of the bays , shallow and probably sand flats at low water.

Alternative would be a weekender at North Arm Cove ( over 500 K ) ( 1h 50 from Hornsby ) , and a pad in the City. Probably the cheapest / nice waterfront within 2 hours of sydney .

There are Creeks going inland from the various lakes on the central coast .
San Remo is Mt druitt on the coast .

Cliff

McCarr's Creek would have something under 2. Not sure how far under and occasionally I'll see something in the high 1's in pittwater proper , but while these will be waterfront , they will be at the head of one of the bays , shallow and probably sand flats at low water.

Alternative would be a weekender at North Arm Cove ( over 500 K ) ( 1h 50 from Hornsby ) , and a pad in the City. Probably the cheapest / nice waterfront within 2 hours of sydney .

There are Creeks going inland from the various lakes on the central coast .
San Remo is Mt druitt on the coast .

Cliff

I reckon a Gorokan/Toukley Central Coast waterfront would beat North Arm Cove in terms of cheapness!
Cheers, Ali

Perhaps those in East Hills/Holsworthy? There's a few homes that back onto the river, would be around 40mins to the CBD. I rekon they'd be a bit over the $1m mark though.

What kind of water front do they need? Deep water for mooring a boat? Shallow for swimming? Scenary to look at? Lake or river?

Also, why the need for proximity to the CBD if they're retired?

Cheers,
Dave

Scotland Island? or elsewhere on the Hawkesbury River.

40 minutes drive can be as little as 10 km with peak hour Sydney traffic ;)

For that budget, might I suggest a unit as they won't want to be moving again too quickly - plenty of waterfront units available in Rhodes? 2 bedder; 1 bedder; 3 bedroom House Waterviews

Well pretty much every waterfront 40 mins from CBD is gonna be 1 mil +.
How about South Sydney.
Plenty of waterfronts in the Shire suburbs which are all about 40 mins to the CBD, ranging from 1 mil to 30 odd mil.
Some great waterways down that way.

Thank you all for the suggestions.
And more details:
Their kids are moving to Syd so they want to investigate to see where they can afford to move to. 40 mins drive because they don't want to be too far, for they and the kids to visit each other. And because they think with 1+M on water in sydney they cannot be closer than 40 mins drive to cbd anyway; cannot be that fussy either :) hence they are open to deep or shallow water so long that nice view and has water access (for grandchildren to come play).

I think they could go 2M+ for nicer and closer to cbd but no such price, what they have seen and liked are 3+M, they could not afford :).

A pad in city and a weedkender sounds nice but not for them they don't want to have to maintain 2 residences.

I have heard kids are looking round Petersham/Stanmore.

Thanks again.

Hi Erko,

Are you located there?
Quite a few prestige properties in the area are coming onto the market now, suppose the market is strong now, and they're selling in quick time too for properties which can usually take from months to years to sell.
I'm on the point at Caringbah South, across the bay from that mega mansion going up for the past few years.
True about the crap from trees blowing in the pool.
Some wicked Southerly winds recently, especially that storm a few weeks back, that was severe.

Back