Waterproofing issues - BSA Qld

After taking a year (no joke) to chase a builder (disappeared) and claiming from the Building Services Authority (Qld) to rectify waterproofing for a unit, I finally managed to get the BSA to authorise rectification works in Sep 2005.

Just received an email from the agent overnight that the leaks have started AGAIN. Will be calling the agent, body corp and BSA tonight to see what the heck is going on.

Anyone who has had / is currently having issues the the BSA may want to keep an eye on this thread.
Alex

alexlee,

1. did the tiler remove the old tiles before waterproofing & re-tiling it in the first round?

2. Waterproofing product. Does it meet the australia standard?

i am assuming that the walls and floor are either bricks or concrete blocks.

To be honest, I don't know the details as I wasn't in the country at the time. The body corp was in contact with the builder, though the BSA scop of works said they had to pull out the old tiles anyway.

The walls and floor are concrete blocks.

The builder who did the rectification works is licensed with the BSA too, so at least their repair work will be guaranteed. Though I don't relish having to going through the BSA claim process again! Hope the builder is still there and will rectify ASAP.
Alex

Hi Alex,

In need, could you make a claim under your own building/contents insurance?

Might be quicker.

We just did that rather than wait for the BSA, as the builder had gone into liquidation. We were ale to get a building inspection report to say that the main damage was caused by a storm. ;)
Initially we put in a BSA claim, but then withdrew it.

The BSA have subocontracted out claims inspections as there was a back log. The cotractor I spoke to was able to do the inspection within about 2 weeks after me submitting the claim. Don't know how long it would take to actually get the work done and paid for though.

Garryk

Garry K said:
Hi Alex,

In need, could you make a claim under your own building/contents insurance?

Might be quicker.

We just did that rather than wait for the BSA, as the builder had gone into liquidation. We were ale to get a building inspection report to say that the main damage was caused by a storm. ;)
Initially we put in a BSA claim, but then withdrew it.

The BSA have subocontracted out claims inspections as there was a back log. The cotractor I spoke to was able to do the inspection within about 2 weeks after me submitting the claim. Don't know how long it would take to actually get the work done and paid for though.

Garryk

Hi, Garry,
Unfortunately in this case it's been determined to be clearly a building issue, so body corp buildling insurance won't cover it. i.e. they have determined that while the water is obviously from the storm it's the fault of the builder that waterproofing wasn't done properly.

Now I can only wait for the BSA to get back to me. At least the guy who did the rectification last year is still around. The body corp people (who spoke with the BSA and builder) said the builder has to go back and check why the repairs didn't work.

At least I know that the BSA WILL eventually pay for rectification. Worst case scenario is I lose a couple of thousand in lost rent if the tenant runs (not that I can blame him) off, but I'm hoping I can claim the rent back for that from the BSA too.
Alex

Back