Wellington - country NSW

I have a house in Wellington, country NSW. I bought it 2 years ago and am just totally unable to get any repairs done. I have been trying for 2 years to get the piers repacked and some other stuff.
I have tried multiple builders, they just aren't interested. I don't know whether it has something to do with Centrelink/Cash in hand/ whatever, but no matter what I try I can never get a proper quote and do the work.
The place is rented to community housing to a tenant who has been in there for 20 plus years and pays the rent on time, however she is starting to complain about the condition of the property. The rent covers the costs.
Would you just keep the place and let it go to the dogs or would you sell it and get out? I know other people who own houses in Wellington who are in the same boat (cannot get a painter/repairer/builder, so have to go there on their day off work to paint it themselves, happy days) and they are now giving up and selling out.

My first thought is to repair what you've got.

Have you tried a builder/s from Dubbo? They are only 50kms up the road and Dubbo is a much more thriving kinda place you'd imagine - full of builders looking for work?? Mabe run a 'tender' advert in the logal Dubbo rag?

In the 2 years that you've owned it, prices have fallen in year one but have gone back up to (almost) what you would have paid in the last year. Long term CG is not great at 6.1% but that is generally the price you pay for buying in small regional for cf+. To sell now means you capitalise a loss (with all the transaction costs). You could take the view that you are 'shooting the dogs' in your portfolio.

Selling in its present state (if it needs work) may not be easy. Letting it go to the dogs is not an option IMO - you don't want to be a 'slum-lord' do you?

Ultimately you can get close to cf+ in the city or large regional with much better CG prospects but at a much higher (higher than Wellington anyway) entry level.

Yes, I have worked my way through builders in:
1) Wellington
2) Dubbo
3) Mudgee
4) Orange.
It's amazing how unemployment is not really 'unemployment' at all in these country towns, or is that my cynicism speaking.
I am going to put the pressure on community housing, surely they must be able to do something. I have copied them in on all my attempts with builders, so they can hardly say I don't care. The tenant is lovely and wants to stay forever.

maybe you don't need a builder - you probably need a house restumper. Many house removalists offer restumping.

Talk to one of the agents in Wellington or Dubbo they might be able to suggest someone.

Yes, I have worked my way through builders in:
1) Wellington
2) Dubbo
3) Mudgee
4) Orange.

How about getting an relaible small builder from SYD and his offsider apprentice and fly them out there for a day or two? Put 'em up in the local pub and get the job done that way?

Then jack up the rent to pay for it :D

It's amazing how unemployment is not really 'unemployment' at all in these country towns, or is that my cynicism speaking.

Has it occured to you that maybe they are all too busy..?? Restumping is not the best job, in fact I'd think it would be the worst possible job I could think of. I could just imagine a builder dropping a few big new houses to go and restump your old place? Yeah right.:eek:

I'd reckon all the builders are too busy doing more lucrative stuff.

Not sure what your unemployment comment was about.

See ya's.

Back