West Australians creating artificial boom in Melbourne

Surprised that Monique Wakelin didn't mention Frakston.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22515298-25658,00.html

Gerd

Hi Gerd,

The article seems to be concentrating on highrise developments and off the plan sales for new developments rather than established housing.

Perhaps that's why Monique Wakelin didn't mention Frankston as the article was more about new developments rather than older/existing housing stock which is predominantly found in Frankston.

It is frightening to think though that many investors are lured by the marketing campaigns, and are as Monique Wakelin highlights, buying into generic developments without any scarcity factor. (Such as the Docklands).

Just to add to the artificial boom, I think that the reason prices have risen in the inner areas in Melbourne is due to lack of stock and increasing demand. This has created an urgency among buyers to enter the market, and has pushed up the price accordingly.

Regards Jason.

Good article. Thanks for the post. I think I remember Harris saying that many Frankston buyers were from WA as well. And to think I had two preapprovals for two places in Frankston mid 2006...

boatboy:

Just had discussion with Investor's Ed Bookshop owner yesterday, and we came to some conclusions:

1. Sharemarket has accelerated since the last correction and it's stretching further away from the fundamental. Trading volume suggests that fund managers are sitting on cash and not entering the market

2. Property has also shown similar characteristics in that volume isn't large (but possibly due to the seasonal characteristic). This spring/summer/autumn will tell us a decisive story.

Not a D&G for sure, but there's a difference between short term and long term perspective.

Just for a thought

I have a 15% LVR on my properties and 60k surplus in my margin account.

I should be investing but it doesn't feel right somehow. :(

I have a 15% LVR on my properties and 60k surplus in my margin account.

I should be investing but it doesn't feel right somehow. :(

You're in an enviable position, cashed up ready to pounce on bargain hunting opportunity. For a lot of us we just had to accept the current market risk and get in. As you've suggested, probably better to ride the wave now than never. The difference between RE and shares is that, I can't liquidate my property when tide turns, whereas dispose of shares is much easier. So the only way to minimise risk in RE is to pay down loans as fast as we could, and refinance as often as possible to "lock in" profit (like using put option or CFD) and use it when bargain emerges

hahahahahahahaha.. unless u've got automatic stop loss in place with these two, then yeah, u can only cry and pray when the big red 3%+ drop in DJIA happened overnight.. Same goes to CFD providers, esp phone traders, it will take forever to get hold of a dealer!!!

Surprised that Monique Wakelin didn't mention Frakston.

Gerd

The "Outback" hasn't had much in the way of high rise developments with the exception of Jamie's building so it escapes Moniques "innner city" eyes (bless her soul) but it hasn't deterred the buying frenzy from WA investors which started long before Harris recent posts about Frankston.

In December, after all our renovations were completed, we had an inspection from potential buyers as well as tenants.
The agent tried to get us to sell. One W.A. investor was looking to buy 25 properties. Sure it could have been the agent's hipe... but subsequent sales show that it was probably true, not surprising considering W.A.'s boom and increased equity held.

Just a quick hello and thanks to all the WA investors for fuelling this silly boom in Melbourne :D .

Much appreciated.

Better go lock in that LOC now...

GSJ

It's not just Melbourne that is getting hit with WA investors, Adelaide is getting it's fair share and they seem to be targeting the outer suburbs where you can pick up a median house in the $250k range.

cheers
quoll

C'mon you guys,

Don't you want your property prices driven up......:)

And just to be the contrarian, I'm currently investigating my own backyard (literally)

ciao

Nor

And some of it could be driven by eastern staters who bought in WA in the early 2000s, sold some of their WA holdings and are now buying in the east for less than what they got from their WA sales.

And some of it could be driven by eastern staters who bought in WA in the early 2000s, sold some of their WA holdings and are now buying in the east for less than what they got from their WA sales.

C;)uld be Peter,

News post December in the region from he REA, was that N.S.W. investors
were also collecting some IP stocks. Again no solid evidence apart from the increasing sales in the area.

Back