The Ashes - and my thoughts on the problems of Australian Cricket atm.

The team's performance is a national disgrace. At least they lost with dignity in 2005 and came back with a 5-0 whitewash - which I don't think will happen this time, more like the other way around.
I don't think any top level sporting team or individual that loses is disgraceful.

They are bloody better at it than us clowns.

I think the Aus cricket climate is simply one of; we are in a team building phase, whilst their teams might simply be at the peak of their talent pool right now.

Get off their backs, you lot.

They'll get clobbered this Test series, and so what? The sun will still shine tomorrow.

It'll do them good; raise the bar and get the juices flowing to beat the Poms next time...we've been giving them a damn fine touch-up the last few decades, so now it's their turn.

"A disgrace"....turn it up; I don't even follow it - that's how important it is in the scheme of things.

I have no idea who the captain is, even. Last I heard it was Clarke.

Storm...teacup - blown out of proportion by the media, as usual.

By the way; one of our customers is heavily involved in Vic Shield squad coaching and scouting.

His view is that the boys play too much 20/20, and have lost the ability to adapt to Test cricket - a different mindset, discipline and strategy, etc. He may be right.

Last edited:
@ Bayview

We've discussed this a lot in the past, you might recall.

Losing, believe it or not, doesn't bother me (though I firmly believe it should bother the hell out of our players).

My brother was telling me that he was watching a documentary about the 1986/87 Ashes series and after whatever match it was, (which we had lost, and also the series, btw) - a couple of our guys were going on about their individual performances in that match. Border read them the riot act along the lines of "what part of we just lost the ashes are you happy about?!". Clarke understands that [he made a comment about how his ton means squat unless we win]. But do many of the others?

But what does bother me is when people appear to not give their all when representing their country (something that is a rare honour).

Or if you don't subscribe to the honour theory -

Then consider how you would feel if an employee who you were paying hundreds of thousands of dollars pa, gave you anything less than 100%.

EDIT -

Nice work so far in this test. But it also serves to highlight how much pressure Clarke is under. I heard today hat since he became captain Clarke's bat has been responsible for 22% of our runs. It is a very similar role to that which Border found himself in during the mid 1980's (the one established batting star in a team of unrealised talent and unproven players). Mind you out of that period emerged some guys who went onto long and impressive careers. Here's hoping.

I don't think any top level sporting team or individual that loses is disgraceful.

They are bloody better at it than us clowns.

I think the Aus cricket climate is simply one of; we are in a team building phase, whilst their teams might simply be at the peak of their talent pool right now.

Get off their backs, you lot.

They'll get clobbered this Test series, and so what? The sun will still shine tomorrow.

It'll do them good; raise the bar and get the juices flowing to beat the Poms next time...we've been giving them a damn fine touch-up the last few decades, so now it's their turn.

"A disgrace"....turn it up; I don't even follow it - that's how important it is in the scheme of things.

I have no idea who the captain is, even. Last I heard it was Clarke.

Storm...teacup - blown out of proportion by the media, as usual.

By the way; one of our customers is heavily involved in Vic Shield squad coaching and scouting.

His view is that the boys play too much 20/20, and have lost the ability to adapt to Test cricket - a different mindset, discipline and strategy, etc. He may be right.

I think this too. We simply aren't as good as we sometimes have been in the past. In the future there will be times when we are even worse, and also times when we are once again the worlds best.

See ya's.

Haha cricket!

The only sport in the world where every average joe is an expert about everything from team selection to technique to strategy and thinks they are right

One thing I reckon needs review now - and that's the review.

Clearly, the world has moved on since the days of giving the batsman the benefit of the doubt because of the amazing technology and camera work.

Have we moved beyond the need for umpires to make a decision?

I reckon so.

In a game as slow moving as cricket, there is no need now to rely on the umpire's eyesight. A review takes not a minute or so to view and make a decision on. That is not going to impact too much on the time lapse between balls bowled we see normally.

I reckon they should be using the review for every appeal now - every run out, every caught behind, every LBW, every stumping, and so on.

Get rid of the limited number of reviews and make it available - mandatory for every appeal.

Keep the central umpire just for general control of play and holding of caps and so on, but that's it for him/her.

Back