Westpac vs CBA

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr westpac

With CBA... totally non-existing customer. Went to the website, typed my personal details in, passport and medicare card number in. Online account number generated and provided on the spot. Eftpos card for it was received in the post yesterday, and it came with a web address to activate it online and setup a PIN for it online. Done. Effortless.

With Westpac ... long time existing customer. Clicked on "add additional account" from within my westpac online banking. Received the account number in a couple of hrs, provided this on the mortgage paperwork as the place to deposit the funds. Funds are duly deposited there. Sitting there as $xyz funds, $0 available cleared. Only noticed this today because the REA wants the deposit for a new purchase. Its been sitting uncleared for 2 weeks, thought it may have been an internal Cheque thing. So I rang them, rotated through 3 people at their call centre when they can finally tell me that because the account was opened online, i need to present at a branch with 100 points of ID and sign a disclaimer to activate the account. They didn't think of telling me this 2 weeks ago?

/rant

Banks are frustrating - we deal with the rigmarole everyday. All of them have quirks that annoy us.

In some areas, Westpac operate better than CBA - and vice versa.

Cheers

Jamie

Just over three decades with CBA - from putting coins in their plastic elephant money saving jars as a child to multi-million deposits in their current online accounts.

Very pleased with their customer service.

Slightly off topic but does anyone else who banks with Westpac think their online banking system is a total outdated joke?

It lacks the functionality of all the other banks I have used and looks like it's from the 90's.

Billions upon billions in profit and that is their excuse for an online banking system.

Slightly off topic but does anyone else who banks with Westpac think their online banking system is a total outdated joke?

It lacks the functionality of all the other banks I have used and looks like it's from the 90's.

Billions upon billions in profit and that is their excuse for an online banking system.
Thats not offtopic, thats on topic.

Ive been with westpac for over 10 years now so never really knew otherwise. The online banking always seemed to do what i wanted it to do - transfer money, pay bills, etc. I only recently became a customer of CBA as broker placed one of my homeloans with them, and what a world of difference!

Thats not offtopic, thats on topic.

Ive been with westpac for over 10 years now so never really knew otherwise. The online banking always seemed to do what i wanted it to do - transfer money, pay bills, etc. I only recently became a customer of CBA as broker placed one of my homeloans with them, and what a world of difference!

Its amazing, im just gobsmacked that a company that makes that kind of profit can have such an outdated crap system. I use stgeorge too who they also own and its way ahead of what westpac have. With Westpac you cant even email someone a remmitance when you pay them lol.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr westpac

With CBA... totally non-existing customer. Went to the website, typed my personal details in, passport and medicare card number in. Online account number generated and provided on the spot. Eftpos card for it was received in the post yesterday, and it came with a web address to activate it online and setup a PIN for it online. Done. Effortless.

With Westpac ... long time existing customer. Clicked on "add additional account" from within my westpac online banking. Received the account number in a couple of hrs, provided this on the mortgage paperwork as the place to deposit the funds. Funds are duly deposited there. Sitting there as $xyz funds, $0 available cleared. Only noticed this today because the REA wants the deposit for a new purchase. Its been sitting uncleared for 2 weeks, thought it may have been an internal Cheque thing. So I rang them, rotated through 3 people at their call centre when they can finally tell me that because the account was opened online, i need to present at a branch with 100 points of ID and sign a disclaimer to activate the account. They didn't think of telling me this 2 weeks ago?

/rant

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Westpac yet again.

I have 2 properties going through settlement at the moment, one with Westpac due to settle 30th May (tomorrow) and one with CBA due to settle 6th June.

CBA process - Loan approved, post the documentation to my house, sign it, get my neighbor to witness it and put it back in their provided envelope. Done.

They're sitting around twiddling their thumbs waiting for settlement day as everythings done.

WBC process - Loan approved, post the documentation to my local branch in WA. I walk up to the branch in my lunch break. Sign it, get staffer to witness it, provide requested ID and they send it back to Mortgage Centre in Adelaide.

MC in Adelaide sends it back to branch saying not enough ID. I walk up to the branch in my lunch break to provide additional ID and they send it back to MC.

MC sends it back to branch as ID wasn't certified correctly by staffer. I walk up to branch in my lunch break to provide new ID for them to certify again and send back to MC.

MC sends it back as signature wasn't witnessed correctly by staffer. I walk up to branch in my lunch break to sign docs again so that they can witness them again and send them back to MC. This step was today. Hopefully this is the last time.

I'm travelling to Adelaide this weekend to tend to newly bought property... except because of the above it won't be mine yet :(

Back