What a job.

I driven by the dancing "chicken" waving a lunch time special a few times at our local pizza place and thought god what a job...

Well today a job has been resurrected from the past at the site I am currently at.
Elevator operator!
Yes now we have someone to press the button, ensure the doors close and try not too fall asleep.

All because someone blocked the door and a unfit sod almost had a heart attack walking down 6 floors.

I driven by the dancing "chicken" waving a lunch time special a few times at our local pizza place and thought god what a job...

Well today a job has been resurrected from the past at the site I am currently at.
Elevator operator!
Yes now we have someone to press the button, ensure the doors close and try not too fall asleep.

All because someone blocked the door and a unfit sod almost had a heart attack walking down 6 floors.

I find this country a little too for giving.... if you cant work a lift or walk a pissy 6 floors then you should go take a good hard look at youself..... wow.... I really dont know what to say....

I find this country a little too for giving.... if you cant work a lift or walk a pissy 6 floors then you should go take a good hard look at youself..... wow.... I really dont know what to say....

lol I think the OP's example is the exception rather than the norm...I've worked in many an office building and I've never seen a dedicated lift button pusher.

haha - makes me think about some woman's mag in the supermarket this morning.

Brad Pitt spilling his guts about how pathetic his marriage to Jennifer Aniston was. Well, Brad ... you were half of that marriage mate. If it was so pathetic then you are also to blame. Hello ... !!?

Idiots! World is full of them.

haha - makes me think about some woman's mag in the supermarket this morning.

Brad Pitt spilling his guts about how pathetic his marriage to Jennifer Aniston was. Well, Brad ... you were half of that marriage mate. If it was so pathetic then you are also to blame. Hello ... !!?

Idiots! World is full of them.

Hey, he just confirmed what me and half my mates already thought - Jennifer Aniston is boring!! :D

Elevator operator!

Ah the good old days. Btw, those elevator operators did more than just push buttons. They were the store's directory assistance as well, instead of a sign on a wall (if you're lucky) like it is today. Back then 'service' meant 'personalised' service.

I remember when we used have petrol station bowser attendant who's job it was to actually fill your car with petrol, check the oil and water for you and top them up if necessary. I just returned from Bali and they still employ attendants at their fuel stations.

Ah the good old days. Btw, those elevator operators did more than just push buttons. They were the store's directory assistance as well, instead of a sign on a wall (if you're lucky) like it is today. Back then 'service' meant 'personalised' service.

I remember when we used have petrol station bowser attendant who's job it was to actually fill your car with petrol, check the oil and water for you and top them up if necessary. I just returned from Bali and they still employ attendants at their fuel stations.

That was my first job - over 20 years ago now!!

What was the price of petrol back then when you started?

It was 19 cents /L when I got my license.

Well, it was before I was driving so I didn't pay a lot of attention, but I think it was about 50-60cpl.

I remember once someone asked for $7 worth, but I misheard and put in $17 - and they couldn't pay for it! :eek: They ended up getting the $10 put "on account"... but we WERE in a lower socioeconomic area.

I used to get given cash and I'd put it in my pocket until I got a break between customers - it was not uncommon for me to accidentally go home with cash still in my pocket! :eek: So I'd have to ring and let them know how much I'd taken home so they could balance the day properly! :p

Still have both in Japan.

The Y-man

Ah the good old days.

I have just came back from 2 weeks in NZ, got driveway service regularly, even at discount petrol places. ULP was $2.07 over there :eek:

unfortunatley this mentality eradicated the servant class and ended up causing a massive amount of unemployment and a huge hike in crime that followed.

there is nothing wrong with someone perfecting the art of service as a course of employment - mater dei's and concierges are a prime example of quality service.

imagine if everyone you met had the same ideals about service - the world truly would be a better place.

I used to pump petrol too! Me and another girl (way back when I was young, slim and gorgeous), did the morning and afternoon shift with a 2 hour overlap. We also had an incentive scheme to earn extra money - we used to get 1c for ever small can of oil we could push and 2c for the bigger ones. I'm still friends with that girl now - 40 years on. We used to have a bit of fun trying to compete for those 1c & 2c's except for when the old fossicker used to come in. He lived in his jeep and the petrol tank opening was under the front passenger seat which meant you had to put your head inside the jeep. It stunk of ...........um, old fossicker! Felt really slack one Christmas when he gave me a couple of sapphires and a box of chocolates and thanked me for looking after him. From then on I never hesitated to serve him when he came in - just learnt to breath differently! :p And I've still got those sapphires!

Back to the topic -
the only petrol station I know of now that gives driveway service is at Lemon Tree Passage where my Dad lives.

Well, it was before I was driving so I didn't pay a lot of attention, but I think it was about 50-60cpl.

I remember once someone asked for $7 worth, but I misheard and put in $17 - and they couldn't pay for it! :eek: They ended up getting the $10 put "on account"... but we WERE in a lower socioeconomic area.

I used to get given cash and I'd put it in my pocket until I got a break between customers - it was not uncommon for me to accidentally go home with cash still in my pocket! :eek: So I'd have to ring and let them know how much I'd taken home so they could balance the day properly! :p

Wow. You guys make me feel young! What a different world it seems...so far away from apps on our Android phones and iPads, and measuring how many clicks you get on a Google ad and how many likes you have on your social networking page for your business.... I would bloody LOVE some sapphires as a thank you instead of overpriced chocolates and branded mugs at Christmas time!

Wow. You guys make me feel young! What a different world it seems...so far away from apps on our Android phones and iPads, and measuring how many clicks you get on a Google ad and how many likes you have on your social networking page for your business....

I remember the days of 20 (??? :confused: sounds hideously cheap - childhood memories - can someone verify for early 70's) cents per gallon, Esso and Golden Fleece petrol stations at the corner of Springvale Rd and Ferntree Gully Rd.....

The Y-man

I remember driving across the Nullabor in 1976 for our big holiday, staying in caravan parks throughout Victoria. My God, we'd never seen so much rain. I remember Dad distinctly saying to Mum - "this state is ****house, let's head north".

When pulling into Melbourne we by-passed a Shell selling fuel for 19c / litre. Dad said "What a ****ing rip off, I'll keep driving around 'til I find a Golden Fleece." Couple of minutes later we pulled into the Golden Fleece for 17.5c / litre. Dad was happy.

As a comparison, based on later discussions, Dad was paid $ 75 per week at the time. His 3x1 fibro / tile house cost him $ 11,000 to purchase 6 years earlier, and the mortgage interest rate was low at 3.2% pa, so his monthly interest payment was only $ 29 per month. No mortgage stress there !!

Cars were expensive though in comparison, as were all electronic goods.

It's funny, nowadays the cars and electronic goods are cheap, and the housing and petrol aren't. Funny how it has flipped.

Mmm, whilst I understand and agree with your sentiment, I can't help but think about my mate who is a quadraplegic...... would you say the same to him?

He works 5 days a week, as a professional, in an office building. He has had a hard look at himself and he works harder than many able bodied people I know...... He can't even open the door to the damn stairs.

My point? Stereotypes and quick conclusions can be naive. Think about it. ;)

Back