What are the key elements in subdividing a block in Melbourne?

Recently, I am looking into subdividing a 600 m2 corner block. As a first timer, I really have no idea how to start, what kind of cost for each steps, how to choose archtects, land surveyors etc, could anyone with past experience offer some help?

Hi

I am just guessing but I think your first port of call is to determine the current zoning and overlays that the site is within and determine if local council allows this particular site to be subdivided by meeting the local councils minimum requirements such as lot size etc.

Once you overcome that first hurdle you then need to determine if the current structure can be retained and just build something in addition to it OR if it is better for you to demolish what is on the site now and start from scratch.

Or if you want someone to handle all of this for you maybe consider employing the services of an independent town planner to do all the checks and then inform you what can and can't be done with your site.

From this point on don't listen to any more of my advice and wait for some input from others that have done it!

Regards,

alicudi

You can find out the zoning of your land and overlays here: http://services.land.vic.gov.au/maps/pmo.jsp

I have a 706 sqm block in Heidelberg Heights in the City of Banyule. The zoning is GRZ1 (General Residential Zone Schedule 1). There is an existing dwelling on the lot that I would like to retain and build a new one behind. It looks like Council refers to this as a "dual occupancy redevelopment". As far as I can tell, planning approval is required.

I am just starting to look into this myself so I still have a lot of questions, like:
- does Council have any rules regarding retaining an existing dwelling
- minimum lot sizes
- restrictions on the new dwelling to be built

Thanks guys. I intended to keep the existing house and subdivide the backyard, only concern is that it would be smaller than 300 m2 (roughly 230 m2).

Thanks guys. I intended to keep the existing house and subdivide the backyard, only concern is that it would be smaller than 300 m2 (roughly 230 m2).
From what I could gather, there is no minimum lot size in Melbourne. It's just that the bigger the block, the less work you have to do. For a smaller block, your builder would need to work harder to demonstrate that the development meets the council's criteria for the zone. Did you work out the zoning yet?

From what I could gather, there is no minimum lot size in Melbourne.

Hi

I do not remember which location it was, but somewhere in Melbourne I have come across situations where their has been a minimum lot size to subdivide land for the purposes of putting another dwelling on.

Regards,

alicudi

The zoning is R1Z(general residential zone 1), and there is no overlay affecting this land. And thanks, your links are helpful.

Hi

I do not remember which location it was, but somewhere in Melbourne I have come across situations where their has been a minimum lot size to subdivide land for the purposes of putting another dwelling on.

Regards,

alicudi

Not common but there are areas which have minimum lot sizes. Parts of Ferntree Gully comes to mind.

There are minimum lot sizes, in order to achieve the requirements of building and design regulations, such as habitable space and set-backs.

The zoning of the land under the planning scheme, as well as overlays, may affect lot size and density. Best to check with the individual Council involved.

Good luck! :)

~

Note: the above is general information and should not be considered as legal advice.

Back