what are ways to clean white grouting and keep it clean please.

Elbow grease comes to mined.

White grout only looks pristine for a short time.
Black & White are at the extreme ends of the spectrum.
White will go gray in a short time, as dose black.
A grout color that is just slightly on the gray side. ( silver Gray )
Will appear to be white unless the tiles are a stark white. ( most white tiles are either Grey or cream )

Gerd

Hydrogen peroxide!

Totally nuked some moldy black spotted white grout with this stuff in a rental when I was leaving it a few years back. Fantastic stuff, comes with lots of warning messages on the label. Makes your hair blonde too.

Hydrogen peroxide!

Totally nuked some moldy black spotted white grout with this stuff in a rental when I was leaving it a few years back. Fantastic stuff, comes with lots of warning messages on the label. Makes your hair blonde too.

Will try this one soon. I am just about ready to rip out the grout & re do it so this would be a much easier & quicker fix!

Cheers
Stella

a spray on sealent is available , its like a silicon spray, and stops other stuff getting into the grout, perfect for kitchen splash backs

what are ways to clean white grouting and keep it clean please.
thanks
francine

I just regrouted over the top, after giving the existing grout a light clean with bleach, then applied sealant to the new grout. White Knight grout pen is also a good option (again, after a light clean with bleach).

:D

saw this in better homes and gardens last night.
thick paste consistency mixture of bi-card soda (sodium bi-carb? it's the cooking one) and water .... apply to white grout with toothbursh combined with elbow grease ... leave for 1hr and then rinse.

As already suggested there's 2 ways to get want you want.

1 - Bleech and scrub it. If your happy with the result then seal the grout after
2 - Dig out 2mm of the old grout as best you can and re-grout. Then seal it.

Option 2 will be more painful in the morning but will give an 'as new' finish.
Just be sure to seal it when you done, it'll take a lot longer to brown.

The problem with having clean white grout on tiles in showers has been one of my bugbear as well. I have tried all sorts of things - from gumption, to mixture of bicarbonate soda and white vinegar, to commercial products (bleach) - and with a lot of elbow grease ... nothing do the trick. Then a few months ago I read an article in the Choice magazine and there was a test of different supermarket products for cleaning - the recommended product was Domestos. I was skeptical - but this morning I decided to give it a go. I sprayed straight from the bottle onto the mouldy and blackened grout in the shower - waited for 10 minutes, then I jumped into the shower to wash the walls down. Lo & behold I looked again an hour later, the grout and tiles were white!!! - almost as new. There was a slight smell of bleach but it was not as strong as some commercial products I tried before. I will try to do the same for the other shower this week and report back the result.

Hi Francine,

I have just managed to clean white grout on one of my IP properties. The bathroom was about 10yrs old and the grout had that pinkish/brown tinge. I used a grout whitner that I got from Bunnings. You just paint it on the grout, then 30min later wash it off with a damp cloth. It was fantastic! The grout has almost come up as new and given the old bathroom a big lift. We were thinking we had to regrout all the tiles, but now we are going to leave it and just replace the mirrors!

Good Luck.

TSO

I sprayed straight from the bottle onto the mouldy and blackened grout in the shower - waited for 10 minutes, then I jumped into the shower to wash the walls down. Lo & behold I looked again an hour later, the grout and tiles were white!!! - almost as new.

Hi Babushka,

I'm a bit confused. Did it turn white during the hour after you washed it down? Or was it white after the initial wash off?
Sounds like an easy solution. :)

Hi Babushka,

I'm a bit confused. Did it turn white during the hour after you washed it down? Or was it white after the initial wash off?
Sounds like an easy solution. :)

The grout turned white (clean) during the hour after I washed it down.

I have done the main bathroom and although the grout was cleaner than before I sprayed it Domestos, it was not as white as in my ensuite. Am not sure if it had something to do with the fact that the grout in ensuite was not as old (8 years old) as the grout in main bathroom (15 years old). I may need do do another application for the grout in the main bathroom.

The main thing is to spray Domestos on the grout after someone had a shower (grout needs to be wet / moist), wait for 10-15 mins for it to work, then jump into the shower to wash it down. Check about an hour later to see the result.

It wouldn't surprise me if it burns. The fumes that stuff emits is nasty and I certainly wouldn't be jumping in the shower to wash it off :eek:.

Thanks for the explanation. I mentioned it to a friend who has also done it this way and they said Domestos burnt her boarders feet after she used it once. :eek:

Oh, my gosh! I was OK after I cleaned the shower. I have to be careful with using Domestos then. Thanks for the warning.

I clean grout with a (plastic) cup of straight bleach and an old toothbrush. A bit fiddly but does a great job.
Watch fumes, particularly in shower enclosure.
Marg

I've got mould forming on coloured parts of my bathroom as well as the white bits of the roof. The roof I'm not worried about bleeching, cause it's white, however what would be advice for scrubbing it from the coloured parts? Just elbow grease and a clean toothbrush?

Back