What are your strategies for high yield IP's???

So far my strategy has been buy, demolish, develop in areas which allow subdivision.

I also have on my radar:
- furnished apartments
- retain and build in back garden
- unrenovated older apartments/villas

Rent out existing dwelling, subdivide and sell the land in the back and pay down mortgage. Not exactly increasing income but you decreasing outgoings. Comes down to which council you are dealing with. Penrith = Yes, Kuring Gai = No.

I'm not big into cash-flow as an investment strategy but here is some deals I have done recently which were pretty close to being cash neutral (taking into account deprecation).

Property A
This is a 2005 built street front quad unit (3bed/2bath) about 10km from the CBD with 350ish sqm of land. I purchased it at $440,000 about 2 months ago and is currently leased at $490p.w. Taking into account deprecation the property would be costing the client nothing if not paying them a little after tax. If you were to lock your rates in just under 6% for the next 3 years this could even be better with rent growth etc.

Property B
This property is still to settle and shows the deals are there to be had. This is a 2003 built double story 4bed, 2 bath town house directly opposite from the Swan River. I picked it up for $525k and the owner (under my guidance) is planning about $30k worth of refurbishment works. It is estimated to lease for about $600p.w. This is a good growth property and grossing about 5.6% yield after refurbishment costs.

Property C
This settled about 4 months ago and was at almost the perfect time in the Perth market when we could see it was turning, but vendors were still shaky so we could negotiate discounts.This isn't the case now. This is an early 90s constructed 3 bed 1 bath villa in a complex of 5 about 11km from the city. I purchased it for $352,799 after some negotiation. It is currently rented by us for $420p.w. with 3 months of the rent paid in advanced. That's a 6.2% yield with no value adding.

On all of these properties we have NOT compromised on growth or location to chase yield. As some of you may not be aware we don't buy properties in the outer suburban areas of Perth because we predict the growth in these areas will under perform the market. It is very easy to get yield in Kelmscott/Armadale when median price is around $300k and rent is about 300p.w. However, try and chase the same yields in inner city is a lot more challenging.

I have some further examples of better yields, but this is with more extensive refurbishment or addition of granny flats/redevelopment etc.

Last edited:
it always makes me wonder how long +CF properties can continue, surely people renting can see they can afford to buy the place rather than rent it....

historically you got a discount as a renter vs a mortgage holder.

either we are going to have a boom or rents are going to drop real soon.

Wow, Im only looking at about a 7% yield and I would be happy (still a novice)

Still confused about people's way of calculating yield. Do you include stamp duty in your purchase, or just the amount you are borrowing?

These are my numbers
Granny flat build in a decent area.

Purchase price: 513K house + 3K stamp duty = 516K
Granny flat apprx: 118K.

Loan amount : 432K

Rent: approx 870/week; 4.4% PM fee.

There are SO many ways to work it out. It could be 10% (loan amount/rent), or more like 7% (property value+gf / rent). THEN, you could either use gross rent or net rent.

Personally i take everything* into account.

I purposely do not include depreciation as the amount can vary and it doesnt form part of the regular cash flow.

it always makes me wonder how long +CF properties can continue, surely people renting can see they can afford to buy the place rather than rent it....

Not at all. Neither of those things will happen. There's about as much chance of a property price boom as there is of snow falling on Pitt Street on Christmas Day. The era of easy credit is done. So endeth the era of easy growth. One hand does not clap!

Sure, there may be some increases in prices, and some people will claim any couple of consecutive months of slight prices rises and clearance rate improvements as a victory for the recovery and growth bulls, but before they dance their merry dance of delusion and start drinking the capital growth cool aid again, I would remind them to pay close attention, and then take another look and pay even closer attention, to the comments that people who decide whether or not they will lend you money, are making...

“Australia is unlikely to ever again see the housing boom that sparked a massive rise in personal wealth across the country in the past decade and a half. Huge jumps in prices are unlikely to happen in future, meaning that good old fashioned money management principles of debt reduction will become the norm. For investors it means they need to start looking for better cash flow opportunities since the days of buying and holding for capital gains and instant equity are over”
Westpac Chief Executive Officer Gail Kelly

“We won’t see pre-GFC credit growth anytime soon, nor pre-GFC price growth. This is the new norm, and we are not running the business on the hope that the subdued lending or funding environment will end anytime soon” ANZ Chief Executive Officer Mike Smith. August 20, 2012

“The reality is that banks are being asked to raise capital in a world where capital is becoming increasingly scarce, and more expensive and that has a direct impact on the price and availability of credit for Australian customers.”
CBA Chief Executive Officer Ralph Norris. December 19, 2011

"As everyone knows, dwelling prices rose a great deal over the decade or more from 1995, and not just in Australia. The global dwelling price dynamic had a lot to do with financial factors - there is little doubt that as finance for housing became more readily available, dwelling prices accelerated. We expect this to stabilise due to constraints in credit supply over coming years” RBA Governor Glenn Stevens July 24, 2012

“I regard us as at a peak in wholesale borrowing, not even in percentage terms but in dollar terms. Australian banks will only be able to grow in line with what they are able to bring in on the customer side through deposits. We will not be able to go with an upswing in credit. In my view, Australian banks, for a long time, will only be able to buy the asset side of their balance sheet dollar for dollar with what they bring in on the customer side.”NAB Finance Director Mark Joiner October 3, 2012

Five years after funding started to get tight. Five years of flat property prices across Australia. Five years of data that defies capital growth bulls and clearly identifies a trend we like to call "No rapid credit growth = no rapid capital growth", yet there is still a chorus of cool aid drinkers. Now I'm not suggesting ZERO growth, and I don't for a moment read the bankers comments as that either. What I'm suggesting is constrained growth, and what the banks appear quite clearly to be saying is .....

Money is harder to get. Money costs more to get. We have less of it available than we used to have available and we dont think we can get a lot more of it like we used to be able to in the good old days of the 90's and noughties, when anyone would give us money at ridiculously low margins , and we could use it for creating all these cool new loan products called lo doc, no doc, non gen savings, no deposit etc. We cant do that stuff anymore, because those buggers in the Northern hemisphere spoiled the party, so the good old days are over for good...or at least until Europe and the US stop kicking the can down the road, take some tough love decisions and get their debt under control. Cos otherwise, the best we can do is try and bring in retail deposits and scavenge and compete for wholesale funds offshore. Oh, did we mention that even if we manage to get the funding offshore, it's harder to get and its much more expensive than it used to be, and we can only get it for squeaky clean AAA rated mortgages so we only want squeaky clean AAA rated borrowers? Pretty sure we did... but in case you didnt hear us, you cant say we haven't tried teaching you this with the rate cuts we haven't passed on and the rate hikes we decided you owed us. Funding costs baby! But what we have decided not to tell you quite as directly is that we have started to credit ration...kinda. We cant ever really tell you that directly because as individuals you are reasonable but as a mob you are idiots and you'll misunderstand and panic. But if you can keep a secret, thats what we are doing- quietly and gently, but doing it nonetheless. We are doing it by squeezing servicing calcs and reducing the "fat" - things like cash out for example. Tightening policies here and there and everywhere. Slowly, incrementally. Basically, without spelling it out to you as if you are idiots needing a finance 101 lesson, we are telling you as plainly as we can that we wont/cant/shall not/will not/are unable to invent and fund new innovative products like we used to be able to ( lo doc, 90/10's. 95/5's, 100% loans etc) that allow us to be lending more and more people, more and more money, year after year, so don't expect property prices to do much for a decade or more. Instead, we will cross sell more products and buy all the wealth/financial planning businesses, cut broker comms, increase rates etc- to maintain our margins and continue to dominate the market :)

But I digress - the moral of the story is, the kinds of people spruiking big growth must have a way to make money grow on trees - cos the banks are saying they wont be forking it out. Cool Aid is unlikely to help them. It will be slow and low for many years yet.

So in response to your comments about a boom or a rental collapse- wont happen. The boom wont. And there wont be a rental collapse because there are other things to consider for a renter who becomes an owner; things that you arent accounting for when you only consider rent v interest repayment as the only criteria to become an owner. Firstly, owners generally pay debt down on a P & I basis, not an I/O basis, so costs are dearer than you're allowing for. Secondly, renters generally dont pay for water, rates, landlord insurance etc . And finally, rates are at very low levels but history doesnt favour them staying here very long - so someone who cant afford 7-8% rates shouldnt be buying just because we have once in a generation low rates.

The story is always the same, carefully selected properties will out perform the market and badly selected properties will under-perform. In saying that, there will be more money made this decade then any previous decades, history repeats itself. Permission and optimism always skew our presumptions about the future.

My prediction (and it's only a prediction) is cash flow properties are looking better now than during the boom because there is another market distortion taking place. Due to the "bust" the amount of quantitative easing has made interest rates historically low.

A resi property that is grossing 9-10% when the rates go back up to more real levels around 7% won't be as cash flow positive as it looks now.

Attachments

• IMG_06721.jpg
    IMG_06721.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 157

In the Perth suburbs I look at, rent is at a discount to a mortgage, the properties are not positive, but if you think out the square a little, cash flow positive rentals will always be there. But sooner or later they will all become positive.

I know the economy is not going to well so I cant see a boom until inflation rises / credit eases, but I see this as a good time to start building a portfolio.

Im looking at ten years down the track when I retire, say I have ten properties by then and they are all worth 500k now, I dont need them to double / boom in value to live comfortable.

Chomp

Back