What are your strategies for high yield IP's???

I suspect they have more than half a clue, do their jobs very well and caught every dollar from the last "boom"... and every dollar since :) Seen bank profits lately???

Can someone please help me work out yields? Maybe you can use my example.

- My current IP purchased beginning of last year for $445,000K, SD about $16K. (lived in the house first for 11 months before renting out).

- On going costs - mortgage approx $1,900p.m IO, rates are $2K p.a, insurance about $800 p.a.

- I get $480 p.w. rent, no management fees as I manage it myself.

Not sure how to calc tax deductions. I'm on The 2nd last bracket - 37c in the dollar.

What would the yield be and could you please show me the cals so I know how to work it out next time?

This is my way of way of calculating yield.

Method 1:
Gross Rental yield = (Rent * 52) / purchase price

It is 5% yield if purchase price is 400K and the rent is $400 pw.

Method 2: Kind of out of pocket yield.
Net yield = (Rent * 40 weeks - Actual loan * Interest rate + Depreciation) /Actual loan

I include only 40 weeks to count for other expenses and vacancy.

Method 3: Actual Yield
Net yield = (Actual Rental income - All costs)/Actual loan

Method 4: Yield if you are using LOC for deposit + costs to see if a deal is worth it.
Mortgage = Purchase Price * 105%
Net yield = (Rent * 40 weeks - Mortgage * Interest rate) /Mortgage

I use Method 4... but may be that is the reason I'm struggling to buy anything :)

Method 2: Kind of out of pocket yield.
Net yield = (Rent * 40 weeks - Actual loan * Interest rate + Depreciation) /Actual loan

Devank thanks for these

However, not being good at math -

$210 x 40 = $8400
less/minus
155000 x 5.6% = ? + depreciation?? - that is where I get lost.

depreciation?? - that is where I get lost.
Depreciation benefits are roughly 35% of (total income - Expenses + deduction from depreciation schedule).

To be exact you can use either 37% if you are earning over 80K or 32.5% if you are earning 37 -80 K.

Gross yields are overrated :)

Yields net of expenses (but before tax) is what is important.... but obviously its not that appealing when trying to sell something :p)

thanks devank - get it now.

nek - do you have an equation for yields net of expenses before tax?
... would it be say rent x weeks - expenses / price
200 * 40= 8000 - 2500 =5500/155000 = 3.5%?

I suspect they have more than half a clue, do their jobs very well and caught every dollar from the last "boom"... and every dollar since :) Seen bank profits lately???

They have about half a clue at most. But one thing you say is true. They do their jobs very well, that's why they're a CEO on a salary.

Re yield, the only true measures are:

Net Income / Total Cost of Property

or

Net Income - Interest / Total Cash Spent

Net income include everything from land tax, insurance, repairs, council rates etc. Total cost of property includes renovations, stamp duty, lawyers' fees etc.

Back