What can I do with an old workshop?

One of my IPs is a federation house that has an old garage at the back that has been converted by the previous owners into a workshop/ art studio (The house is a 2 bed + study that has a carport). This building is not connected to the house but only 1 metre separates them. It would be a big job to tear down either wall as one is double brick & the other (back of house) is all glass.

The workshop is very spacious with lots of electrical outlets. It has exposed beams & a concrete floor however which are not very attractive. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do with this space on a limited budget.

Was that coversion by previous owners council approved? I guess you would have investigated that when you bought. But if you try and add a bathroom or whatever you may run afoul of the council, even though the previous work was done by a previous owner.

Would be great if it could be a 2nd income by way of granny flat. <thumbs up>

Granny flat.

Line it cheaply with fibro or plasterboard.

Use low profile cornice if the roof is low.

Concrete floor? Carpet, or wooden "click clack" flooring.

alwayscurious said:
Line it cheaply with fibro or plasterboard.

Use low profile cornice if the roof is low.

Concrete floor? Carpet, or wooden "click clack" flooring.

Great ideas, but I'd check with the council first to see if its an approved dwelling and one that can be tenanted. No point spending time and money if there's a chance it might come back to bite you later (ie trying to sell the property with an unapproved extension/conversion)

Jamie.

Doozer, do the timber floors line up or is the back areas lower?
if the levels line up then just ,just use a half/truss system for the roof,
frame and sheet all the internal and match up all the external cladding
with what is in place,cost wise imho,depends on the total length of the refit.
just make sure that the inside heights are 100mm above legal ,just sit down
and do a materials take/off and see if it adds up,if you post a picture i can give you a better idea..
good luck
willair..

skater said:
You could put in a bathroom & kitchenette & rent it out as a granny flat.

Good idea skater,and even if doozer doesnt want to rent the granny flat out iits still usable . As for the concrete floor,how about getting the floor polished or even painting it?
Z :)

Jamie said:
Great ideas, but I'd check with the council first to see if its an approved dwelling and one that can be tenanted. No point spending time and money if there's a chance it might come back to bite you later (ie trying to sell the property with an unapproved extension/conversion)

Jamie.

Why would it matter if it was unapproved as long as it is not in dangerously bad condition or obviously unlivable?, many older homes have no approval.

Thanks for all the ideas. I did lean towards a granny flat but I think it would be costly given that various walls would have to be put in, bathroom, toilet, kitchen items etc. I don't know whether the cash flow would support that at the moment.
Re Council approval, I don't think the previous owners did much if anything to convert the garage into a workshop so approval isn't applicable.
Other than the granny flat, any other creative ideas?

markpatric said:
Why would it matter if it was unapproved as long as it is not in dangerously bad condition or obviously unlivable?, many older homes have no approval.

markpatric,

Would you purchase a property that had a granny flat if you knew that at any time the council could force you to tear down it down because a former owner did not get the extension/conversion approved?

Doozer says approval isn't applicable, so fair enough. My warning was based on the fact that it's often better to check first, rather than spend time and money and then get in trouble later.

Jamie.

As the previous owners had used it as a Studio could you possibly rent it to a local artist or other creative person. Many such people do not have the room in their own homes to accomodate their hobby/ occupation and would be glad to rent such a space. You would gain an income without having to do much in improvements. I hesitate to suggest renting to an artist or someone who would also give classes there because of the public liability implications. but a sole operator may be a possibility.

Hi, why change it?
Find a tenant who will pay a premium for a house with a workshop and rent it to them.

Unless ofcourse, there is absolutely zero market for a house with workshop.

Adrian

adrian_see said:
Hi, why change it?
Find a tenant who will pay a premium for a house with a workshop and rent it to them.

That's a good idea. I know of many people who run their own businesses and run them from a workshop located at their place of residence...

In that case it would be a manner of appropriate advertising...

"3-br Brick house with steel-framed 140 square metre workshop. Ideal for business owner or hobbyist..."

doozer said:
Thanks for all the ideas. I did lean towards a granny flat but I think it would be costly given that various walls would have to be put in, bathroom, toilet, kitchen items etc. I don't know whether the cash flow would support that at the moment.

The cost of doing something like this would depend on how much you can do yourself. My hubby is very handy & does everything as he is an electrician by trade & dabbles in plumbing as well. Walls are very cheap to erect if you can do it yourself & kitchen/bathroom is not that expensive either if you do it yourself & look for budget items.

doozer said:
One of my IPs is a federation house that has an old garage at the back that has been converted by the previous owners into a workshop/ art studio (The house is a 2 bed + study that has a carport). This building is not connected to the house but only 1 metre separates them. It would be a big job to tear down either wall as one is double brick & the other (back of house) is all glass.

The workshop is very spacious with lots of electrical outlets. It has exposed beams & a concrete floor however which are not very attractive. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do with this space on a limited budget.

So the view out the back of the house through all the glass is a brick wall a metre away??

This is screaming to be joined...don't have to tear down the whole wall - just put a door way in...

Back