What can you build for $100k?

I have some land 5 min out of town, power at gate, no town water/waste.

Do you think its possible to build a 2 br dwelling for $100k or less, including water tanks, sewage system, etc.?

How is the Bathurst Council with relocated homes?

Or a demountable home. Quite a few of them second hand.

Alternatively a large livable shed.

Sunshine

Last edited:
You could do a kit home , you just have to know what you are paying for

Some have heaps of inclusions others have none yet they will try and charge the same price

I'm sure you could find a 2bedroom kit with most internals including kitchen and bathroom for 50k
Council fees?
Electrician 5 -10
Plumber ?
Site connections ?
Someone to build it ?? - well you can ask the kit company for a quote on this but that is where they get the cream. Realistically it should take 2 builders no more than 4 weeks so I would say a max of 30k - concrete pouring might have to be covered to
So I guess 120k would be a safer bet

100k would be very doable if you have some know how or the right friends

I don't mind the idea of a relocatable home in theory, but in reality I don't really want to pay $50k to move a fibro shack that may have asbestos and still needs renovations.

If I can get something built new for 100-150k I'd much prefer that instead.

Of course if I can't, I'll look into a kit home or relocatable home. Mostly I'm just looking to lock in the building entitlement until I can afford to build something bigger and better.

Hi luce.rocks,
A relocatable home would be the cheaper option.
Personally i'd leave the power at the gate,go solar,gen and be self sufficient.
Cheers Spades.

I don't mind the idea of a relocatable home in theory, but in reality I don't really want to pay $50k to move a fibro shack that may have asbestos and still needs renovations.
Your kidding right?Have you seen houses offered for removal?
Sure there is some carp houses for removal but I've seen some good ones and there not what you've described.

Hi luce.rocks,
A relocatable home would be the cheaper option.
Personally i'd leave the power at the gate,go solar,gen and be self sufficient.
Cheers Spades.

Fully intend for the main house to be as green as possible, ideally off the grid, but until we can afford to build it, I just want to go for the cheapest option for the temporary house (which will later become a secondary dwelling).

Your kidding right?Have you seen houses offered for removal?
Sure there is some carp houses for removal but I've seen some good ones and there not what you've described.

Not kidding. Most of the places I've seen that are for sale for removal in Central NSW are old fibro places.

Not kidding. Most of the places I've seen that are for sale for removal in Central NSW are old fibro places.

There's your problem

nice houses are only given away in built up areas (no available land nearby) where people are well off

The land they are sitting on has to have a very high value to justify it

Fully intend for the main house to be as green as possible, ideally off the grid, but until we can afford to build it, I just want to go for the cheapest option for the temporary house (which will later become a secondary dwelling).

Good stuff!

You'd have to look further out,such as eg:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/elermore-vale/property-for-sale/free-house/1029905217

What about container homes? ie houses built out of shipping containers.

They usually put a couple together for bigger houses.
And they are delivered pre-fitted.

They seem to be quite cheap.
You still need to have services connected, so that does add a little to the cost.

And you can add cladding and roofs to make it look less like a container.

Also, many of the house removers get the good homes before they go to the open market. If you call around the house movers many will have a home ready for relocation.

What about container homes? ie houses built out of shipping containers.

They usually put a couple together for bigger houses.
And they are delivered pre-fitted.

They seem to be quite cheap.
You still need to have services connected, so that does add a little to the cost.

And you can add cladding and roofs to make it look less like a container.

Hmm, I still want something normal looking. It's true that I want something cheap, but I don't want anything unusual. It has to be easy to revalue or sell if I need to. My mum would build a mud brick yurt if I let her!

No, I want a normal house. If it's not possible to build something for $100-$150k then we'll just have to find more money. Anyhow, it's all hypothetical at this point because I don't actually have the building entitlement yet.

$100k would probably be very tight. $150k for a 60sqm is probably quite doable. It may depend on the site- sewage on a rocky site could be quite expensive.

Back