What can you build for $100k?

Keep An Eye On The Finance ...

Hmm, I still want something normal looking. .

Hey Luce

Getting finance for the land is one thing, getting finance for a completed house is another, and getting finance for a relocated house, a kit house, a straw bale house etc is a horse of a whole different colour!

If you can get the equity release funding secured against another property and then shift the new equity loans over to the property once it is completed, that would be cheaper than organising a personal loan or other short term, unsecured finance.

Anyway, you have a great idea, to make sure of the building opportunity. If you build weatherboard on stumps you could sell the house for removal later

It's a bit hard to saw a brick veneer in half and those concrete slabs are a real problem to balance on a truck when it's going around corners!

Cheers
Kristine

Granny flats that are 60m2 cost about 100k to build including design/council fee's

My GF will end up costing $130k - $140k all up- brick veneer, in town, on a slope in rocky ground, custom designed. Building out of town will probably mean you don't have as much to comply with, you won't be restricted to 60sqm.

This style of shed

AB-03.jpg

I'd love a straw bale house. Amazing thermal qualities and some of them look beautiful.

We housesat at a place in NSW that was a straw bale house, and it was also completely off grid.
It would have been a warmer place if they actually used doors that fit. Still had lots of air gaps around it.

Hey Luce

Getting finance for the land is one thing, getting finance for a completed house is another, and getting finance for a relocated house, a kit house, a straw bale house etc is a horse of a whole different colour!

If you can get the equity release funding secured against another property and then shift the new equity loans over to the property once it is completed, that would be cheaper than organising a personal loan or other short term, unsecured finance.

Anyway, you have a great idea, to make sure of the building opportunity. If you build weatherboard on stumps you could sell the house for removal later

It's a bit hard to saw a brick veneer in half and those concrete slabs are a real problem to balance on a truck when it's going around corners!

Cheers
Kristine

Hi Kristine. There's no mortgage on the land. I was hoping it wouldn't be too hard to find finance to build a little house? The land is zoned rural but it's less than 5 min drive out of town. Do you think it would be hard to get building finance? I mean, assuming serviceability etc., is ok. Is it more difficult to find finance for building rural residential?

Hmm, I still want something normal looking. It's true that I want something cheap, but I don't want anything unusual. It has to be easy to revalue or sell if I need to. My mum would build a mud brick yurt if I let her!

No, I want a normal house. If it's not possible to build something for $100-$150k then we'll just have to find more money. Anyhow, it's all hypothetical at this point because I don't actually have the building entitlement yet.

I don't think they look too bad. At least I would throw it in with the other options. (See first photo)

In Brisbane you can also buy brand new houses which are delivered. These look like the old Queenslander houses on stumps. (See highset photo). Don't know if this is available in Sydney.

All these styles are cheaper because they are built in a 'factory' and then shipped to the site.

Unusual, but may help keep the costs down.

Attachments

• photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 71
  • dsc_0033.jpg
    dsc_0033.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 70
Check out House Moving Contractors Pty Ltd. subscribe to their email alerts for houses that come up for removal. They are not the cheapest house movers around but certainly reliable and good to deal with.

I had a 90 yr old 3brm weatherboard with renovated kitchen and bathroom, polished floor boards, moved out to country nsw for $120k. Septic,water tanks and power included in that too, plus a new front verandah and 3m deck out back.

It looks sooo much better than the alternate shoe box relocatble home for similar price.

Check out House Moving Contractors Pty Ltd. subscribe to their email alerts for houses that come up for removal. They are not the cheapest house movers around but certainly reliable and good to deal with.
Haha- Coconutwheels is not a good username to have if you're recommending a house removalist.

I had a 90 yr old 3brm weatherboard with renovated kitchen and bathroom, polished floor boards, moved out to country nsw for $120k. Septic,water tanks and power included in that too, plus a new front verandah and 3m deck out back.

It looks sooo much better than the alternate shoe box relocatble home for similar price.

$120K? Nathan Birch just got one moved for $35K! I have NO idea how that man does these things. Cheapest I've ever moved a house for is around $60 (including house, council fees, connections etc etc).

My brother in law is owner building in Wellington Council area.
He has had no end of issues with the town planning people right from the start.

He was going to build a "shed house" - concrete slab, engineered plans, steel frame, etc......but the town inspectors reckoned the foundation bolts were not secure enough for the 1-100 year storm....wanted it re-engineered and redesigned!
The spec has been approved for cyclone areas in Qld - but this did not sway the inspector!

Work is progressing at a slow pace as everything has to be inspected and approved bit by bit.....

The alternative is a local builder in the +150k range - just for a good looking shed.....

Maybe Bathurst council is different....?

Hi Kristine. There's no mortgage on the land. I was hoping it wouldn't be too hard to find finance to build a little house? The land is zoned rural but it's less than 5 min drive out of town. Do you think it would be hard to get building finance? I mean, assuming serviceability etc., is ok. Is it more difficult to find finance for building rural residential?

You cant get finance for a relocatable home, a strawbale or mudbrick house or shed etc prior to construction and issueing of COO.

You may be able to access some of the land equity to put towards these, depending on how its set up.

My two cents, get a yurt, or put up a small shed of second hand materials or something similar for the first 12 months or so. Read the land, find the best home site, do some research as to what you want with the place. Your dreams might change during that time, or you might find your happy to compromise in some areas etc.

So jealous btw....

$120K? Nathan Birch just got one moved for $35K! I have NO idea how that man does these things. Cheapest I've ever moved a house for is around $60 (including house, council fees, connections etc etc).

I know...35k!!!

There was over $25k for power and plumbing in that, it was a rural block.

Geoff, so Coconutwheels House Removals a no go ;)

Back