What computer to use?

You can avoid the viruses and spyware if you have decent protection. And the best protection of all is to keep your kids off your computer if they are likely to try and download crack files :mad:

If you've got money to burn, get a laptop with an additional external 19" monitor, mouse and external keyboard. Then you have the best of both worlds. :D

cheers, Tony

Simon said:
Here's the thing. The average person can build and repair a desktop with little experience. Even I can do it now.

A desktop will be cheaper and faster to fix than a laptop - simple matter of buying a new power supply for $40 and 10 min later it is fixed. Or a hard drive, new RAM etc.

They are also easier to use with a better keyboard, mouse and screen. Cheaper too. Laptops have lots of probs with batteries and screens that desktops avoid.

But if you need something portable then clearly a Laptop is the choice - but you will pay for that flexibility.

Just my opinion.
No way.
Compatability issues can turn you into a lunitic.........cant you tell??

2gb ram for me and a dual core processor :)

When all that fits in a laptop with 20" widescreen that costs the same as a desktop I will change.

Attachments

• SuperLanboy_front.jpg
    SuperLanboy_front.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 61
Thanks everybody but clearly no definative answer! The better half suggests that we should buy both a laptop and a desktop, find out how to link them and very definitely keep them all out of bed.

http://antivirus.about.com/od/macintoshresource/
MaryLandesman(guruExtreme) said:
Macs aren't immune to viruses, but they are very rare
OSX/Inqtana.A is a Java-based worm that exploits the directory traversal vulnerability in the Bluetooth file and object exchange services in Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger).
The Leap.A (aka Oompa-Loompa) infects applications in Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) running on PowerPC processors
and the few that there are, are enormously destructive. Macs arent targeted much, they have a relatively small market share, it isnt worth the effort.
but
when a virus hits most mac users dont have in place any AV and the effect is dramatic.
and
much software is not available natively to the Mac, when they run a x86 emulator, that virtual machine becomes as vulnerable as any windows box, to file destructive viruses. Mac users need to be proactive in their AV use, since as user numbers increase(many believe the mac is immune), so will virus targeting of Macs, get a Mac and a good av

edit destructive (can't spell)

Last edited:
I use a laptop at work, but a desktop at home.

It does mean that I can bring the laptop home if I need to do work away from work.

But, for me, the great advantage is, that on the few days a year I'm away, I can take the laptop with me and keep connected- dial up is almost always available where I am staying.

I used to have a 15 inch "laptop" which was cheap (as it turned out, in more ways than one)- but I much prefer my Dell Inspiron with a much smaller screen but much better performance.
Rolf_Shaefer said:
Just beware that DELL laptops have just been banned from travelling on all Qantas flights due to a serious problem with the batteries (it can explode, DELL and SONY or working on solving this serious issue).
An issue which also applies to imacs now, as I understand.

geoffw said:
An issue which also applies to imacs now, as I understand.

But iMacs are a desktop machine. :rolleyes:

The last model of the superseded iBook and PowerBook range from Apple are under investigation by Qantas at the moment, I believe. The current models, with the Intel processors, (the MacBook and MacBook Pro models), are not affected by the battery recall.

Last edited:
Merovingian said:
But iMacs are a desktop machine.

The last model of the superseded iBook and PowerBook range from Apple are under investigation by Qantas at the moment, I believe. The current models, with the Intel processors, (the MacBook and MacBook Pro models), are not affected by the battery recall.
OK, I misunderstood- I am not familiar with Apple computers.

But I thought there was a recall by the company, not just an investigation by airlines?

plumtree said:
Thanks everybody but clearly no definative answer! The better half suggests that we should buy both a laptop and a desktop, find out how to link them and very definitely keep them all out of bed.
There is no more a definative answer to your question than there is to "What car to buy".

I'm unsure why Messers Grimes and Barnes are so antagonistic towards us Mac users. Sure the iMac aint portable but you can carry it in one hand, tuck the keyboard under your arm, stick the mouse in your pocket and not spill your chardonay on your way to the pool deck.

I absolutely must have a windows box but I would be surprised if plumtree is trading on-line and/or using a charting program. The same windows box has my book-keeping. Absolutely everything I do on the web is via the Mac. If the Mac crashed and burned I would have to rebuild a spreadsheet or two. 'Tis all!

At the risk of being crude, windows users are fighting an endless battle to avoid infection by buying a new condom every day. There is an inherent safety in Unix, users don't have to frequent the chemist.:p

RichardC said:
At the risk of being crude, windows users are fighting an endless battle to avoid infection by buying a new condom every day.
Why is this always the war cry of the Mac user? Ive been running 3 windows machines for 5 years + and have yet to have a single hour of downtime due to "the endless battle against infection".

If youre a Mac user, at least come up with some DECENT reasons as to why you pay twice the price of a windows machine to get half the specs :D

Jamie.

Jamie said:
Why If youre a Mac user, at least come up with some DECENT reasons as to why you pay twice the price of a windows machine to get half the specs :D

Jamie.
I wouldn't.

Edit: I would never buy a puter which compromised my specs.

Tizzy said:
You can avoid the viruses and spyware if you have decent protection. And the best protection of all is to keep your kids off your computer if they are likely to try and download crack files :mad:

i have no protection at all on any of my PCs. i've avoided virii and spyware for over 10 years now, and havent ever in that time run any such protection.

the only extent i go to is a 4port ruoter that also does firewalling. this wouldn't stop virii though, nor would it stop outgoing spyware etc. Need an application level firewall for this..

common sense protects you from most things.

Lack of virus's are not the main reason to use Macs, but a nice one anyway.

The iLife suite is a major reason.
Lack of stuffing around to get things to work is another.
A nice interface is another.

Macs are crap at games and you currently have to dual boot if you want to run windows specific software.

So, Macs are NOT the greatest computer for everyone. But if you're using a computer just to surf the web, send emails, manage your music, manage digital photos and video or write documents - then the Mac is great for that.

TheCamel said:
i have no protection at all on any of my PCs. i've avoided virii and spyware for over 10 years now, and havent ever in that time run any such protection.

common sense protects you from most things.

Youd probably be surprised as to what you have that you didnt know about.

RJ

If you want to get a good amount of computing power your buck, it pretty hard to beat getting a custom wintel box, bought from a small but reputable computer shop. You'll end up paying roughly double for the same thing if you go to harvey norman and buy a brand name box (dell etc.).

Brand names boxes typically use cheap generic compoents, especially for important but often overlooked things like power supplies, memory and harddrives.

Of course you'll have to spend a bit of time researching what you want and where to get it, which is a luxury many cannot afford, or simply don't want to do. But for the rest of us here's my suggestion:

1. Go to www.whirlpool.com. It a site for computing and broadband news and web forums. Find the wiki entry entitled Whirlpool PC Suggestions. Find a system that matches you price point and needs, then modify specs as desired.

2. Buy parts at www.msy.com.au. This is a chain of real shops in VIC and NSW that sells computer hardware cheaper than pretty much anywhere else, including ebay swapmeets etc. Be prepared to queue and deal with staff who wont want to spend any time with you. You have to know exactly what you want too. You basically have to download their list walk in and pick it up. They will build it for you for a fee.

Jamie said:
Ive been running 3 windows machines for 5 years + and have yet to have a single hour of downtime due to "the endless battle against infection".
Yeah, I have 5 machines at home and use 4 or 5 at work, with the main virus incidents just being on machines the kids used when they were younger.

The only one I've had myself was just after I bought my wife's notebook and went to play some cheap VCD on it that she'd bought in Vietnam. The AV software complained that the VCD had a virus, to which I thought, being in a hurry as I was, how the hell can it have a virus - it's just a VCD? So I told the AV software to ignore it and continue, as I've occasionally had false indications before. Unfortunately it really was a virus. Later inspection showed that the VCD had an executable player on it that got loaded on insertion to play the movie. This player was infected with a virus (so be warned if you like to buy cheap VCDs in Asia!).

Fortunately, regular drive images make recovery easy.

Cheers,
GP

Back