What do landlords think?

As my title states, I am wondering how much concern landlords have in regards to difficult tenants? By difficult I mean those that cause damage, annoy other residents with parties / noise and generally ignore by-laws? (I'm specifically talking about strata unit blocks.

Over the last 9 years in our PPOR, we have had very difficult tenants and right now are dealing with 7 adults (all females under 20), party every night, banging on walls, contant laughing on the balcony till 3am. We have complained, could we be comfortable in knowing that the landlord would not be happy about this and consider not renewing their lease...

As a landlord, I certainly wouldn't be happy to hear that my tenants were acting like that. Who have you complained to? Just the tenants themselves or to the property manager? The property manager should be doing something about this.

I gather you mean that you are their neighbour?

Thanks Luckyone.

We actually had a third letter sent to the yesterday, they would have just got the letter this afternoon and things are worse than ever, they don't care and are obviously proving a point right now - thumping on walls, laughing on the balcony - we will have this from now 6pm through to around 2.00am (most nights).

Yes, we are an upper floor neighbour.

We've been in contact with the Strata Manager (she's acting and I am on the Executive Committee), she's also sent letters to the landlord and the REA.

Do we complain continually? Can we do anything about this??

Do you know who the property manager is? I would speak to them directly.

If they are interfering with your quality of life by being very noisy (i.e. the music at night) you can call the police on them.

And yes, I would complain continually to everyone i.e. landlord, property manager and strata manager just so that they get so annoyed with the situation that they will do something. I mean, the tenants behaviour is completely unacceptable.

It's not a nice position to be in, it must be frustrating for you.
However, 9 years is far too long to put up with it, will it ever stop?
Only option may be you take yourself away from the problem.

Try obtaining the owners contact details, a few early morning calls may do the trick.
Last time I had issues with the property next door I contacted the council
who gave me the owners details as my property bounded theirs.

Do you know who the property manager is? I would speak to them directly.

If they are interfering with your quality of life by being very noisy (i.e. the music at night) you can call the police on them.

I agree with luckyone
Call the police.
Call them every time this happens.
Find out who the owners are.

Our strata manager sent us a letter stating that if our tenant made too much noise on the balcony again (after one incident) that as the owners we would be fined, $150 or somethng like that. The property manager issued the tenant a warning and that was the last we heard of it.
Ask your strata manager if they can do this for you.

Thanks so much - gives me hope to think we do have rights to the quiet enjoyment of our home.

Ace - This noise has been going for about 4 months, thankfully not the full 9 years, we would have left long ago if that had been the case. We are just nervous going into summer and very concerned things will get worse (we live near the beach).

We had laughing and drinking to about 11.30pm last night - must be great not working and living of the government. I will send another complaint off today and will continue to complain. Will also get RE agent details and owner details as you guys have mentioned.

Thank you again :)

You need to really drive this if you want a result.

Contact the property managers and police every time it happens. Document this.

Get the owners details, and write to them. Advise them that you are contacting the property manager and police. Document this. Ideally, get the owners phone numbers (landline and mobile), and start calling them EACH time there is an incident.

Call your local council, and local MP.

You need to build the pressure to a point where the owner decides it's easier to get rid of the tenants than constantly deal with you.

Yep, with summer just around the corner it's going to get worse real soon.

I'd ramp up the complaints right now - including the police.

That would drive me nuts.

What everyone else had said and... get the other OO's of block to complain as well.

Are they playing loud music? If you involve police, after a few visits they will cease the stereo.

I feel your pain, nothing worse than noisy neighbours!!!

Mine have just discovered ping pong, and for some reason they only enjoy playing it after 10pm. I don't think there is anything more annoying than a ping pong game going on outside your bedroom when you are trying to sleep!! But luckily for me it's only once a week or so.

We have had a tenant at the moment who caused neighbourhood disruption leading to complaints. We declined renewal of his lease.

However, there are a couple of things you can do.

Phone the police EVERY time there is a disruption. Get the name of the person you report the incident to and keep complete details (date, time, reason for complaint, tenants involved if possible etc.).

In the event that the landlord wants to evict, this evidence will help the PM with necessary paperwork as it is not simply a case of chucking a tenant out - they have rights of occupancy - and state laws must be compied with.

As said, contact the PM each and every time you feel a complaint is warranted. The PM is obliged to pass this on to the owner.
Marg

Bit of an update and a couple more questions!

So, our fourth complaint letter went out to these tenants after laughing and loud talking on their balcony from 9.00pm to 11.30pm on Monday evening. Our Strata Manager said that a letter has been sent to the Real Estate and owner as well.

Again last night woken at 11.30pm with laughing.

So, our SM is saying that all she can do is keep sending letters - is she doing enough or could she do more? I have spoken to another RE and they said they would never put up with tenants like that and would cancel their lease for breach of By-Law.

Also, am I able to ask my SM for the Owner and RE details so I can CC them on our complaints? Again SM says this is a privacy issue but I am not so sure (I'm on the Exec Committee too).

Thanks for you help!

I think you need to make complaints with the Police to get any traction on this. After 4 letters nothing has changed.

Can we do anything about this??

With modern times in a 1st world country, this is by far and away the toughest word to grapple.

Everyone always asks....."but can I actually DO...." ??

The people always ask this because the answer is always bugger all...especially if it involves people who disregard lawyers letters.

You wouldn't believe the amount of money I've wasted talking to ferals in a language they don't understand. By that I mean writing letters, then getting lawyers to write letters, all of which they simply tear up and spit on, then taunt you to further action by saying "what else ya got".

Forcing an adult in this modern world to actually DO something they have absolutely no intention of DOing is mighty difficult indeed.

Forcing a vindicative adult who gains pleasure in taunting you is even harder.

Even though it is unlawful to suggest, I would recommend you start speaking to them in a language they understand. Writing formal letters to them, you may as well be drafting Egyptian stone tablets for all the good it will DO.

With everyone's massive list of rights nowadays - the DO word has just about vanished.

Domestic issues are often solved between tenants and landlords. But if your situation seems to be different and its getting more difficult then you can have options to involved a reinforcement agency or to call a community mediation service. You can surf whether this service is available in your area. I know they provide their services for free.

Back